Basecamp bans political discussion at work!!!!!

Basecamp bans political discussion at work!!!!!

Debates

Lake Como

Moves
03 May 21

.....and many resign in protest!!!!! I love it, I love it. Can you imagine being the CEO and seeing all the time wasted that could rather be used on producing widgets, to make money for the CEO and his stockholders? I just love it. Get them out of there. Replace them with people who will come to work and do what they are paid to do. Does anyone think that they should be paid while they talk politics?

Lord

Sewers of Holland

Moves
03 May 21

@averagejoe1 said
.....and many resign in protest!!!!! I love it, I love it. Can you imagine being the CEO and seeing all the time wasted that could rather be used on producing widgets, to make money for the CEO and his stockholders? I just love it. Get them out of there. Replace them with people who will come to work and do what they are paid to do. Does anyone think that they should be paid while they talk politics?
Depends on the job.

But I’m sick of political discussions at work as well.

It’s like everyone’s turned into a retard.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
03 May 21

@averagejoe1 said
Not exactly a brilliant business move when it costs you about a 1/3 of your workforce, all of whom are getting severance packages worth 3 to 6 months salary. https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/30/22412714/basecamp-employees-memo-policy-hansson-fried-controversy

Lake Como

Moves
03 May 21

@no1marauder said
Not exactly a brilliant business move when it costs you about a 1/3 of your workforce, all of whom are getting severance packages worth 3 to 6 months salary. https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/30/22412714/basecamp-employees-memo-policy-hansson-fried-controversy
The pay and severance are built into benefits......, employees are already vested with it no matter why they leave. So it isn’t germane to the issue, which is that employers call all the shots, it is their company. We can only hope some nosey Union doesn’t try to make it THEIR business, as we can all agree that it is not. Not is it the government’s.
If they apply for a job at my company, and the reason-for-leaving is on their resume’, I won’t hire them. We’re too busy!!

D

Moves
03 May 21
1 edit

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
03 May 21

@no1marauder said
Thanks for that. And here is a link outlining the prohibitions.

https://world.hey.com/jason/changes-at-basecamp-7f32afc5
1. No more societal and political discussions on our company Basecamp account. Today's social and political waters are especially choppy. Sensitivities are at 11, and every discussion remotely related to politics, advocacy, or society at large quickly spins away from pleasant. You shouldn't have to wonder if staying out of it means you're complicit, or wading into it means you're a target. These are difficult enough waters to navigate in life, but significantly more so at work. It's become too much. It's a major distraction. It saps our energy, and redirects our dialog towards dark places. It's not healthy, it hasn't served us well. And we're done with it on our company Basecamp account where the work happens. People can take the conversations with willing co-workers to Signal, Whatsapp, or even a personal Basecamp account, but it can't happen where the work happens anymore. Update: David has shared some more details and more of the internal announcement on his HEY World blog.
---------------------------------------------------------

There is more, of course, but I would just like to opine this:
I somewhat AGREE with this man. Who needs that crappy distractions in the workplace?
To me, it is like banning workplace talk about gambling on football games. It's a distraction.
Plus, this can be sooooo divisive amongst the workers. Does the company want that?
Right now, people in America are so geared to go down each other's throats. Try to eliminate that.

That is my WEAK opinion.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
03 May 21

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.