Immunity From Timeout While On Vacation

General

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
31 Aug 06

Originally posted by David Tebb
There is another site, similar to this that has a vacation immunity system. On that site, non-subscribers are allowed [b]80 days vacation and subscribers are allowed a whopping 120 days.
[/b]
Does this other site have time banks?

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
31 Aug 06

There is another site, similar to this that has a vacation immunity system. On that site, non-subscribers are allowed [b]80 days vacation and subscribers are allowed a whopping 120 days.

In comparison, a 3 to 4 week vacation allowance is very sensible.[/b]
But then again if you make more than 5 moves within the vacation period your opponent can then revoke the immunity.

If people are so worried about being timed out then just play games with longer timebanks.

Why not just make all games a standard 21 days per move and leave it at that. That gives you 3 weeks "holiday" and should prevent most timeouts.

People who want to move faster will, people who don't won't.

End of all problems and discussions.

DS

Moves
31 Aug 06
1 edit

There is another site, similar to this that has a vacation immunity system. On that site, non-subscribers are allowed [b]80 days
vacation and subscribers are allowed a whopping 120 days.
There is another site, similar to this that doesn't let non-subscribers use the analyse board - this seems like another unfair advantage.

Also, it may be only 3-4 weeks, but that is per player.

b
Buzzardus Maximus

Moves
31 Aug 06

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
Or an advanced option to play only non vacationists.

Problem solved.
This is the option I like. As currently you can delete challenges within 3 moves, maybe when the game is created the creator should have to specify via a check box whether or not the game is to be "vacation-enhanced." The challenged person can then decide whether or not to accept the challenge.

Same could go at the clan leader level for clan challenges.

Your Eminence

Scunthorpe

Moves
31 Aug 06

To all the non subs that are passionately lobbying for the No vote- If you're that passionate about the issue, then pony-up the $30 for membership! Your arguements are pretty hollow without a star. You're creating a lot of heat but very little light.

Moves
31 Aug 06

Originally posted by Crowley
Does this other site have time banks?
No. they don't have timebanks. I believe this feature is unique to RHP.

Obviously, one of the advantages of having a vacation immunity allowance is that there would be much less need for long timebanks.

Players who like to play fast games but are occasionally away from the site are currently forced to use bigger timebanks than they would ideally want in order to give themselves sufficient protection from being timed-out at some point in the future.

With a vacation allowance, they would already have that protection. Therefore they won't need much of a timebank, and consequently a lot of their games could be played faster!

Your Eminence

Scunthorpe

Moves
31 Aug 06

No. they don't have timebanks. I believe this feature is unique to RHP.

Obviously, one of the advantages of having a vacation immunity allowance is that there would be much less need for long timebanks.

Players who like to play fast games but are occasionally away from the site are currently forced to use bigger timebanks than they would ideally w ...[text shortened]... y won't need much of a timebank, and consequently a lot of their games could be played faster!
You bring up a good point which a lot of people are ignoring here, Dave: There's arguably abuse of long time banks going on right now. I see it quite frequently posted that "Player So-and-so is in a hopeless position and should resign. But he waits till the last day of the 21 day time bank to move, diliberately postponing the inevitable."
Shorter time banks with some vacation time as back up would solve some of these existing abuses.

DS

Moves
31 Aug 06

Originally posted by Moldy Crow
To all the non subs that are passionately lobbying for the No vote- If you're that passionate about the issue, then pony-up the $30 for membership! Your arguements are pretty hollow without a star. You're creating a lot of heat but very little light.
We are simply stating our views - as we cannot vote [the reason given is not BECAUSE we haven't "ponied up" the cash but because of the spoof account possibilities] it's the only way.
Sheesh, where I come from, one doesn't have to pay to have an opinion.

Your Eminence

Scunthorpe

Moves
31 Aug 06

We are simply stating our views - as we cannot vote [the reason given is not BECAUSE we haven't "ponied up" the cash but because of the spoof account possibilities] it's the only way.
Sheesh, where I come from, one doesn't have to pay to have an opinion.
And I am simply stating my view.

G
Whale watching

33°36'S 26°53'E

Moves
31 Aug 06

You bring up a good point which a lot of people are ignoring here, Dave: There's arguably abuse of long time banks going on right now. I see it quite frequently posted that "Player So-and-so is in a hopeless position and should resign. But he waits till the last day of the 21 day time bank to move, diliberately postponing the inevitable."
Shorter time banks with some vacation time as back up would solve some of these existing abuses.
Exactly why a scheme was propsed whereby players can be rewarded by an expanding timebank if they play within their timeouts. This is a method that would not only speed up gameplay at RHP, but allow those who have played timeously to take long vacations with impunity -because they earned that right.

But as things now stand, laggards will get all the time in the world and then some. While those who do play conscienciously and timeously end up with the short straw....

DS

Moves
31 Aug 06
3 edits

And I am simply stating my view.
But unlike you, we are willing to listen to anyone's views, however disagreeable they are, without moaning at them for it..

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
31 Aug 06

Thread 50994

P-

Your Eminence

Scunthorpe

Moves
31 Aug 06

But unlike you, we are willing to listen to anyone's views, however disagreeable they are, without moaning at them for it..
Can I moan about you needing 3 edits for one sentence?

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
31 Aug 06

Originally posted by IM14u2NV
Remeber why you are here people. TO PLAY CHESS!

change your vote before it is to late.

Go vote NO!
all the dozens of people reading general forum regularly heard you, but the 1500 others didn't...

maybe I should make a 'pro vacation bank list', and blow my additional 4 weeks on the first one on it who I come across. on move three.

N

The sky

Moves
31 Aug 06

Originally posted by wormwood
all the dozens of people reading general forum regularly heard you, but the 1500 others didn't...

maybe I should make a 'pro vacation bank list', and blow my additional 4 weeks on the first one on it who I come across. on move three.
Please put me on your list.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.