New heroes: doctors & nurses

General

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
06 Apr 20

@eladar said
@wolfgang59

You have not learned. Canada's best source for masks is Canada.

Try another country and see if you can figure out what its best source of masks would be.
What a quaint little isolationist world you would like to live in!

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
06 Apr 20

@texasnurse said
@Very-Rusty

Yup but only way to end that thread is actually learning from the past and present
They learned from H1N1 and sars, but it certainly didn't stop this Covid-19 from happening. Next time will be something else they've never delt with. That is providing the world still exists.

-VR

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
06 Apr 20

@wolfgang59 said
Canada must be rethinking its source for masks ... maybe China is better for them?
Perhaps you just underestimate Canada. You don't know how resourceful we can be.

-VR

w

Moves
06 Apr 20
1 edit

@flopwrist said
Let's not forget the food service people who are still handling money from hundreds of customers every day.
They are taking a risk also and they are not in bio-suits like the nurses and doctors.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
06 Apr 20
1 edit

@texasnurse said
@Very-Rusty

Yup but only way to end that thread is actually learning from the past and present
We had H1N1 & Sars which I am sure you remember. Didn't teach anything about this Covid-19. Correct me if I am mistaken but I don't think they even found a vaccine for Sars. IF we are still around the next one will probably be also unknown to us, which is sad to say.

-VR

Über-Nerd

Moves
07 Apr 20

It's not an easy job. No one likes being forced into situations where triage decisions are necessary.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52144859

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
07 Apr 20

@very-rusty said
Perhaps you just underestimate Canada. You don't know how resourceful we can be.

-VR
Au contraire. Changing supplier would be resourceful wouldn't it?

Moves
07 Apr 20

@moonbus said
It's not an easy job. No one likes being forced into situations where triage decisions are necessary.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52144859
It's very difficult to be sure. Usually, the patient with the greatest probability of survival gets the nod.
The current crisis presents a volume of patients with initially equal chances and a longer period until the grim onset of life-threatening symptoms.

Determining which patients get admitted; which get the status upgrade because of critical acuity and which get put onto one of a finite number of vents is daunting and thankless.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
07 Apr 20

@wolfe63 said
It's very difficult to be sure. Usually, the patient with the greatest probability of survival gets the nod.
No that is not how triage normally works.
The most critical patient "gets the nod".
In other words "the most desperately sick".

That is not possible in these difficult times.

Moves
07 Apr 20

@wolfgang59 said

Context is everything.

I can assure you that a soldier with a rapidly bleeding and partially severed extremity will get the nod over one with a gaping chest wound.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
07 Apr 20

@wolfgang59 said
What a quaint little isolationist world you would like to live in!
Think about it, make your own and you don't have to depend on any other country! The U.S.A. have changed their minds I wonder why and are now going to be sending the masks we wanted for Medical Staff usage.

-VR

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
07 Apr 20

@very-rusty said
Think about it, make your own and you don't have to depend on any other country! The U.S.A. have changed their minds I wonder why and are now going to be sending the masks we wanted for Medical Staff usage.

-VR
Depending on each other makes us stronger.
World trade benefits everyone.
Cooperation benefits everyone.

You think a village can survive on its own?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
07 Apr 20

@wolfe63 said
Context is everything.

I can assure you that a soldier with a rapidly bleeding and partially severed extremity will get the nod over one with a gaping chest wound.
Agreed.
Context.

Triage is normally as I described.
The batttlefield and C-19 are out of the ordinary.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
07 Apr 20

@wolfgang59 said
Depending on each other makes us stronger.
World trade benefits everyone.
Cooperation benefits everyone.

You think a village can survive on its own?
Of course working together benefits all!

It was the U.S.A. or I should say the Trumpster not playing well with others, until he understood what it could cost his country.

-VR

SRB

Moves
07 Apr 20

@wolfgang59 said

Tragically true battlefield triage (where hospitals will find themselves if we don't control spread properly) involves division into three categories.

1. You have a reasonable chance of making it on your own so we won't use our limit resources in your case.
2. You have a reasonable chance of making it if you are prioritised for our limited resources
3. Your chances of making it are not good enough to justify giving you this ventilator and potentially depriving somebody else with better odds.

It is assigning people to the third category and explaining that you have done so to relatives which breaks professionals hearts. I really feel for everybody involved and I hope they are being given a clear and updated picture of what is available so that they can at least feel confident that they did what had to be done by any reasonable professional in their situation.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.