Chess Improves Academic Performance

Chess Improves Academic Performance

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
02 May 06

Hello everyone. I am currently trying to write a research paper about the benefits chess provides for academic success. If anyone would happen to know some great sources to find information on the topic, I would appreciate it very much. Thank you.

GP

Moves
02 May 06

This sounds very familiar. Chess does help young minds improve and develop by forcing them to concentrate and plan in advance, while being fun at the same time. Does wonders for the kiddies.

L

Moves
02 May 06

Chess doesn't help me in school it just distracts me!

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
02 May 06

Originally posted by Timothy2005
Hello everyone. I am currently trying to write a research paper about the benefits chess provides for academic success. If anyone would happen to know some great sources to find information on the topic, I would appreciate it very much. Thank you.
There a lot of articles on this subject on the web. I read a couple of them years ago but can't remember where. Try searching for it on the internet.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
02 May 06

I would be very surprised if chess improved academic performance. good study habits improves both of course, but I don't think that has anything to do with chess itself.

if I'd put a fraction of the energy I waste on chess into something productive... well you all know how it goes...

e

Moves
03 May 06

I don't really have any research on this, but the people that play at my school all do very well academically.

T

Moves
03 May 06

Oh, I forgot to mention that I am specifically looking at elementary students.

Don't get no better

tinyurl.com/22vjy9ub

Moves
03 May 06

http://www.successchess.com/SCSKnights/NY2.html

Took me 10 seconds to go to Google and enter "academic performance chess".

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
03 May 06

Originally posted by wormwood
I would be very surprised if chess improved academic performance. good study habits improves both of course, but I don't think that has anything to do with chess itself.

if I'd put a fraction of the energy I waste on chess into something productive... well you all know how it goes...
It does. There have been a lot of articles written on this and they are starting to implement chess as a mandatory course in some schools. It's a hot thing in elementary right now.

However, it's not only chess though. I had a chat with someone else and we believe any game which stimulates your brain would work. Doesn't have to be chess.

p

Parallel Universe

Moves
03 May 06

http://www.deanofchess.com/benefits.htm

Don't get no better

tinyurl.com/22vjy9ub

Moves
03 May 06

Originally posted by RahimK
It does. There have been a lot of articles written on this and they are starting to implement chess as a mandatory course in some schools. It's a hot thing in elementary right now.

However, it's not only chess though. I had a chat with someone else and we believe any game which stimulates your brain would work. Doesn't have to be chess.
The study I linked had controls for that. Their conclusion was that it's chess itself.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
03 May 06

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
http://www.successchess.com/SCSKnights/NY2.html
sounds really nice, althought that doesn't really convince me. maybe it's because I'm thinking of how chess ability affects cognitive skills, and they're thinking of the whole social surroundings and implications.

b

Hainesport, NJ, USA

Moves
03 May 06

Check out a book by Maurice Ashley: Chess for Success. It might give you some ideas for your paper.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
03 May 06

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
The study I linked had controls for that. Their conclusion was that it's chess itself.
I guess there is no other game to rival chess in thinking, manners, patience, planning etc...

dsR

Big D

Moves
03 May 06

Here is some stuff you could include in your paper:

Lasker and Tarrasch nearly flunked out of school because of chess. Alekhine was reprimanded by his teachers because he was so distracted by the game. Reshevsky was exploited by his parents and pulled from formal education. Fischer was a dropout, etc., etc.