When Could Winning Involve a Conflict of Interest?

When Could Winning Involve a Conflict of Interest?

Only Chess

Moves
20 Jul 21
1 edit

@Duchess64

The tournaments I went to were 99.9% male but if there was a female I would always take notice and occasionally would go to the motel bar in the hopes of fulfilling some chess fantasies but nothing ever happened. That was almost 20 years ago so now in my old age I just want to go to tournaments to play chess.

F

Moves
20 Jul 21

The post that was quoted here has been removed
I don't recall ever hearing the queen referred to that way. And I'm disappointed to learn that Jennifer* says it's widespread. Although I haven't read her book, I've seen at least one review that said that at least some of her observations are novel, thoughtful, and well-articulated.

* I don't know Jennifer Shahade, but I used her first name because I've played her father (Michael) and her brother (Greg).

rain

Moves
20 Jul 21

Without knowing whether she would accept or not, he should go for the win. If he has to resort to such tricks, chances are that she's not that interested in him, even she had no boyfriend.

That said, a loss may affect her impression of him if he was weak player; if he lost but gave her a good game, it would still make a good first impression. Whether he wins or loses, he should still try his best.

Moves
21 Jul 21

@vivify

Agreed.
Crushing the chicks does more than going easy on them.

D

Moves
21 Jul 21

D

Moves
21 Jul 21
1 edit

D

Moves
21 Jul 21

Moves
21 Jul 21

@Duchess64

So as black you don't play...
1.e4...d5
2.exd5...Qxd5
3.Nc3...Qd6?

😆 Just playing...

D

Moves
21 Jul 21

D

Moves
21 Jul 21

rain

Moves
21 Jul 21

"she could not understand how a strong woman player could be interested romantically in any man who was lower rated"

It's easy to see why such a woman is on her third marriage.

D

Moves
22 Jul 21

rain

Moves
22 Jul 21

We're talking about a board game.

F

Moves
22 Jul 21

It would be a reasonable expectation if a man and a woman were picked at random. But not if the woman were a competitive weightlifter (for example).

An IM is conservatively in the top one millionth of human beings when it comes to chess. So, a woman who's an IM and seeks a partner who's better at chess than she is has but a tiny pool of prospective partners. I think the chance of her finding an enduring, satisfying relationship isn't that great, even if we would grant that two players of IM strength or better are likely to be compatible in some ways (high intelligence, for example).

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
23 Jul 21

@FMDavidHLevin
Why don't you play here? What is your USCF rating? I clock in about 1750.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.