"Is Atheism a Belief or a Lack of Belief?"

Spirituality

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
22 Jun 16
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
The issue is whether you have substantiated your fantastic claims about supernatural agency as it relates to your ability to "trust" your thinking. Until you do, it is your notions that constitute the "otherwise" thing as far as I am concerned.
Do you believe that rational thought follows logically from the assumption of atheism?

Assuming there is no God, is there any cause to believe you are in touch with reality at all. For example, you believe you are reading a comment on a blog in the year 2016, but how can you know for sure that in reality this isn't all just a dreamworld produced by synapses in your brain, and really you are slogging through a prehistoric swamp fighting off crocodiles?
As far as natural selection is concerned, it doesn’t matter what you believe, so long as your behavior is suitable for survival and reproduction.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
22 Jun 16

Originally posted by FMF
Have you presented "logical conclusions that follow" from your assumptions? Is that what you think C.S. Lewis did?
If you assume that your brain was designed by an omniscient creator for the purpose of rational thought, then logically 'rational thought' can be regarded as a plausible product of the brain.

Cape Town

Moves
22 Jun 16

If rational thinking follows logically from the existence of God, then your clear lack of logical thinking demonstrates conclusively that God doesn't exist.

F

Moves
22 Jun 16

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
Assuming there is no God, is there any cause to believe you are in touch with reality at all.
You seem to think that your personal debate about God has some impact on or significance regarding the reality in which I live. I don't know why this is. If you happen to think that I am not "in touch with reality at all" ~ this being an upshot of you ruminating over the possible existence of supernatural beings ~ I don't see why this is supposed to affect me in any way, let alone place any onus on me to explain the contents of your imagination.

No God has revealed Himself to anyone, as far as I am aware. You cannot somehow generate a God figure or think one into existence, or claim there has been a revelation by God, simply on the basis of your own personal wonderment at the human facility for thought, regardless of what twee musings C.S. Lewis may have impressed you with.

F

Moves
22 Jun 16

For example, you believe you are reading a comment on a blog in the year 2016, but how can you know for sure that in reality this isn't all just a dreamworld produced by synapses in your brain, and really you are slogging through a prehistoric swamp fighting off crocodiles?
I am sure this kind of crisis of self-perception could beset anyone, with any religious or non-beliefs, from any walk of life. I don't see how pondering hostile crocodiles or weighing the possibility that this is "all just a dreamworld" [like in that movie] can, in or of itself, conjure into existence a divine being - in order to answer your questions - in the absence of other evidence. You may have arrived at such a belief as a result of such thought exercises but I don't see the appeal or traction that you seem to think it has.

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
22 Jun 16
1 edit

Do you believe that rational thought follows logically from the assumption of atheism?

Assuming there is no God, is there any cause to believe you are in touch with reality at all. For example, you believe you are reading a comment on a blog in the year 2016, but how can you know for sure that in reality this isn't all just a dreamworld produced by s ...[text shortened]... n’t matter what you believe, so long as your behavior is suitable for survival and reproduction.
Assuming there is no God, is there any cause to believe you are in touch with reality at all.

One of several ways to approach your question would be to refer you to scientific realism, which - interestingly enough - has developed to overcome the patent failings of logical positivism.

It is important to note that one might be a scientific realist regarding some sciences while not being a realist regarding others. For example, one might hold realist attitudes toward physics, chemistry and biology, and not toward economics, psychology and sociology.

According to scientific realism, an ideal scientific theory has the following features:

- The claims the theory makes are either true or false, depending on whether the entities talked about by the theory exist and are correctly described by the theory. This is the semantic commitment of scientific realism.
- The entities described by the scientific theory exist objectively and mind-independently. This is the metaphysical commitment of scientific realism.
- There are reasons to believe some significant portion of what the theory says. This is the epistemological commitment.

Combining the first and the second claim entails that an ideal scientific theory says definite things about genuinely existing entities. The third claim says that we have reasons to believe that many scientific claims about these entities are true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_realism

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
23 Jun 16

Originally posted by FMF
Because it works.
How can you be absolutely sure about that?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
23 Jun 16

Originally posted by twhitehead
If rational thinking follows logically from the existence of God, then your clear lack of logical thinking demonstrates conclusively that God doesn't exist.
But if you think rationally does that prove God does exist? You can't have it both ways.

F

Moves
23 Jun 16

How can you be absolutely sure about that?
Because you understood what I was thinking from what I said, for example. I'd say you can "trust" your thinking too, but if you want to attribute it to the intervention of a divine entity ~ and declare yourself to be "absolutely sure" about it, to hammer your point home ~ then that's OK by me.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
23 Jun 16

Originally posted by FMF
Because you understood what I was thinking from what I said, for example. I'd say you can "trust" your thinking too, but if you want to attribute it to the intervention of a divine entity ~ and declare yourself to be "absolutely sure" about it, to hammer your point home ~ then that's OK by me.
As an atheist what absolutes do you believe in, and how can you be absolutely sure about anything?

F

Moves
23 Jun 16

As an atheist what absolutes do you believe in, and how can you be absolutely sure about anything?
You haven't explained what "absolutely sure" means. Are you "absolutely sure" there is a God? And if so, tell me what else being "absolutely sure" about that makes you "absolutely sure" about.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
23 Jun 16

Originally posted by FMF
You haven't explained what "absolutely sure" means. Are you "absolutely sure" there is a God? And if so, tell me what else being "absolutely sure" about that makes you "absolutely sure" about.
I see you evaded my first question so I will ask you again: "As an atheist, what absolutes do you believe in?"

Moves
23 Jun 16

I see you evaded my first question so I will ask you again: "As an atheist, what absolutes do you believe in?"
Is your plan to ask every atheist this question and are you absolutely sure FMF is an atheist?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
23 Jun 16
1 edit

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
Is your plan to ask every atheist this question and are you absolutely sure FMF is an atheist?
Since someone said every atheist has different beliefs I am interested in what his are. I see quite a lot of people trying to put everyone else's beliefs down but they are never willing to state their own position and defend it.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
23 Jun 16
3 edits

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
Actually I have a few questions for you as well.

Do you agree that atheism is an intellectual position? What reasons do you have for holding that position? Are your reasons based upon logic and/or evidence or lack of it? So, is there any reason/evidence for you holding your position that you defend?
If you say that atheism needs no evidence or reason, then you are holding a position that has no evidence or rational basis? If so, then isn't that simply faith?

If you say that atheism is supported by the lack of evidence for God, then it is only your opinion that there is no evidence. You cannot know all evidence for or against God, therefore you cannot say there is no evidence for God. Your atheism then, is nothing more than an opinion. But, if it is, should you derogatorily argue against Christians and in favor of your opinion?

If you say that atheism needs no evidence to support it because it is a position about the lack of something, then do you have other positions you hold based upon lack of evidence...like say, screaming blue ants? Do you hold the position that they do not exist or that you lack belief in them, too? People behave according to what they believe, not what they lack belief in. So, if you are an atheist and you work against the idea that God exists, then aren't you behaving in a manner consistent with your beliefs?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.