The Moon and Design

The Moon and Design

Science

c

Moves
31 Jan 17

Originally posted by sonhouse
Actually, it is your thought processes that are troubling.
The sun is 400 times further away from the moon. This distance makes TWO things happen: eclipse and human life.

Will you admit that if the sun was 200 times closer, or 800 times further away, that human life is unlikely?

I doubt you will. Atheists here seem to stick together like glue.

Moves
31 Jan 17

Originally posted by chaney3
The sun is 400 times further away from the moon. This distance makes TWO things happen: eclipse and human life.

Will you admit that if the sun was 200 times closer, or 800 times further away, that human life is unlikely?

I'm not sure I get your point.

If the conditions were not right then life on Earth would indeed not have been possible. (We wouldn't be here). There are many earth like planets out there where conditions are not right for life to be sustained. We would simply be among them.

The fact that the conditions are right doesn't strengthen the argument for design or weaken the argument of probability. - Again, the universe is so vast that conditions will be right some place or another. If not here, then somewhere else.

c

Moves
31 Jan 17

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
I'm not sure I get your point.

If the conditions were not right then life on Earth would indeed not have been possible. (We wouldn't be here). There are many earth like planets out there where conditions are not right for life to be sustained. We would simply be among them.

The fact that the conditions are right doesn't strengthen the argument ...[text shortened]... s so vast that conditions will be right some place or another. If not here, then somewhere else.
My OP initially began with the subject of eclipse only, but upon further thought, it cannot be denied that the size and distance of the moon and sun, in relation to earth also applies to human life as well.

These specific conditions may be altered to argue eclipse, but then would impact human life.

Two purposes are served.

I don't see probability, I see design.

Cape Town

Moves
31 Jan 17
1 edit

How many times will you repeat that falsehood? The distance does not make eclipses happen.

I have agreed to that multiple times and pointed out that it is irrelevant multiple times and also pointed out that it is nothing but an attempt by you to distract from the fact that you are wrong about eclipses.

Just because we all tell you you are wrong, doesn't mean we stick together like glue. I even told
sonhouse he was wrong about eclipses.

c

Moves
31 Jan 17

Originally posted by twhitehead
How many times will you repeat that falsehood? The distance does not make eclipses happen.

[b]Will you admit that if the sun was 200 times closer, or 800 times further away, that human life is unlikely?

Have have agreed to that multiple times and pointed out that it is irrelevant multiple times and also pointed out that it is nothing but an attemp ...[text shortened]... g, doesn't mean we stick together like glue. I even told
sonhouse he was wrong about eclipses.[/b]
Why are you claiming that distance doesn't matter?

Cape Town

Moves
31 Jan 17
1 edit

Because it doesn't. How many times must I say it? I have said it over and over and over and over. Have you not read a single one of my posts? Are you blind?
Eclipses happen regardless of distance! Get it through your thick skull!

Cape Town

Moves
31 Jan 17

A star a billion light years away can be eclipsed by the moon! Distance does not matter!

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
31 Jan 17

My OP initially began with the subject of eclipse only, but upon further thought, it cannot be denied that the size and distance of the moon and sun, in relation to earth also applies to human life as well.

These specific conditions may be altered to argue eclipse, but then would impact human life.

Two purposes are served.

I don't see probability, I see design.
As the moon moves further from Earth eclipses will be no more. But the main thing that would happen then would be lesser tides, no more 50 footers in Nova Scotia and so forth, but that would never impact life in general in a negative way, might make for fewer earthquakes even since tidal forces are much bigger from the moon than from the sun and the further it recedes the less powerfull will be the resultant tides.

Life started on Earth a long long time ago, like 3 + billion years and the moon was a LOT closer then, of course complete eclipses but so what, there is no effect other than a few seconds of lower temperature and less light at any one location so it has zero effect one way or the other on Earthy life. 3 billion years ago the moon was pretty much as it is now, a 3000 mile wide chunk of rock and using the numbers previously stated, 3.8 cm/year recession, we can perhaps go backwards using the same number which is probably not totally true, my guess is it would be a sliding scale, 3.8 cm per year at the distance it is but say 2 cm per year at half the distance, so I will use a rough average, 2 cm per year for 3 billion years. That comes out at about 600,000 km closer which is a bit off, since the moon is only about 360,000 km away now. So using 1 cm/ year, puts it 100,000 km closer, probably closer to reality, 60,000 odd miles closer say 30% closer than it is now. That would lead to 30% increase in tidal forces but that doesn't sound like all that much difference, not enough to kill off life since we have fossils that old.

c

Moves
31 Jan 17

A star a billion light years away can be eclipsed by the moon! Distance does not matter!
I am talking about a nearly perfect eclipse, where the sun and moon are the same size.

You are talking about an eclipse of a basketball to a pea.

Not at all relevant.

Cape Town

Moves
31 Jan 17

Originally posted by sonhouse
As the moon moves further from Earth eclipses will be no more.
Not true.
Total eclipses will no longer happen. Eclipses in general will continue to happen. They will just be partial or annular.

Cape Town

Moves
31 Jan 17

I am talking about a nearly perfect eclipse, where the sun and moon are the same size.
Are you? Then why did you never ever say so? How long is this thread? And you not once thought to mention that?

You are talking about an eclipse of a basketball to a pea.
I am talking about an eclipse. That is what your OP said and that is the word I have been using all along.

So when you say 'nearly perfect'. How nearly are we talking? And why were the distances and proportions 'perfect' earlier and now only 'nearly perfect'?

Did you know that the apparent size of the moon varies by as much as 14%? I went up Table mountain to watch what is known as a 'super moon' just last month.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermoon

And when are you going to provide that reference or explanation to substantiate your blatantly false claim that the orbit is special for the paths to cross?

Cape Town

Moves
31 Jan 17

So if the moon were say 300 times smaller than the sun and the sun was 300 times further away, we would still see a 'nearly perfect' eclipse. Do you agree? So the 400 figure is irrelevant to eclipses even 'nearly perfect' ones.

c

Moves
31 Jan 17

So if the moon were say 300 times smaller than the sun and the sun was 300 times further away, we would still see a 'nearly perfect' eclipse. Do you agree? So the 400 figure is irrelevant to eclipses even 'nearly perfect' ones.
I agree with the eclipse, but earth would be fried.

They go hand in hand.

400 matters to LIFE, as well as eclipse.

This UNprobable fact is what I've been trying to tell you for 2 pages now.

Cape Town

Moves
31 Jan 17

If it just so happened that the moon appeared nearly twice as large as the sun, would that too be evidence for design?

Cape Town

Moves
31 Jan 17

I agree with the eclipse, but earth would be fried.
Whether earth would be fried or not is irrelevant to the eclipse.

They go hand in hand.
In what way do they go hand in hand. So far you have not provided any connection whatsoever other than putting them in the same sentence.

400 matters to LIFE, as well as eclipse.
Except I think we are agreed that it doesn't matter to the eclipse at all.

This UNprobable fact is what I've been trying to tell you for 2 pages now.
It is an UNprobable fact because it is an UNTRUE fact as I have been trying to tell you since the thread began.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.