A mental exercise for believers in God.

A mental exercise for believers in God.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
30 Mar 07

Originally posted by Penguin

The only method implied here is meditation and that can certainly produce intense experiences but those experiences no more support Gnostic explanations than they support Buddhist, Christian, Hindu or Muslim explanations.
Yes, the esoteric aspects of these belief systems are, from a psychological perspective, practically interchangeable--what alters is their cultural context, the form in which they are applied. It's not a question of which one is right or not. Which language is right--English or Japanese?

Gnosticism is perhaps best viewed as a forerunner to depth psychology. The symbols of the unconscious cannot be observed empirically, but they are no less real for that.

You probably don't think much of alchemy, either. Well, Jung thought otherwise... http://www.gnosis.org/jung_alchemy.htm

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
01 Apr 07

Originally posted by twhitehead
Do you think it is possible that your experiences and your interpretation of them are strongly affected by your beliefs?
For example did you experience them before you became Christian?
Are they experienced by non-Christians?
If you became muslim would you not experience them any more or would you possibly have different experiences which matched the p ...[text shortened]... le alternative explanations but are you looking at natural causes as a possible alternative?
Are they experienced by non-Christians? WHITEY

You won't believe me but I can honestly say yes to this question. I was having spiritual experiences way before I bumped into Christians. Christianity was the only faith that seemd to explain what I sensed.......and believe me did I look at a lot of religions. For me the experience came first.

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
01 Apr 07

Originally posted by twhitehead
Do you think it is possible that your experiences and your interpretation of them are strongly affected by your beliefs?
Are they experienced by non-Christians?
If you became muslim would you not experience them any more or would you possibly have different experiences which matched the p ...[text shortened]... le alternative explanations but are you looking at natural causes as a possible alternative?
Isn't there a strong possibility that the Christian religion is modeled around an attempt at explaining certain experiences and thus you would expect it to match the experiences even if the explanation was wrong? WHITEY

So Christianity is an attempt to explain the experience of the presence of the Holy Spirit or the living presence of Jesus?
Funny thing about this idea is that Jesus talked about the Holy Spirit before the disciples had the experience him (in Acts) . In the NT the explanation came before the experience.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
01 Apr 07
3 edits

Originally posted by Penguin
[b]I don't quite agree that the faiths mentioned claim that each other are all wrong--some followers certainly would, of course, but there is always an ecumenical strain that allows for overlap, the view that "all religions are one". The Sufis were persecuted by orthodox Islam because they came to believe that esoteric Christianity and Islam were perfectly c ith equal probability with Pastafarianism.

Sorry to be so dismissive!

--- Penguin.
[/b]I interpret this phenomena as a sign of the gradual erosion of the power of religion: all the religions are having to face the fact that their different interpretations of reality and history are just as valid as each other, ie not really valid at all.

This might be persuasive if (a) the notion of an underlying unity to differing religious expressions were a new idea, and (b) if most people in most religions did not still resist the idea!

Monism may well be older than monotheism (or even polytheism, for that matter). I think that it probably is.

JJ

Moves
02 Apr 07

I dont think anything can convince me there is no God...

"I would rather live my life and believe there is a God to die and find out there isn't than to live my life and not believe there is a God and die to find out there is !!!".

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
02 Apr 07

Originally posted by Jay Joos
I dont think anything can convince me there is no God...

"I would rather live my life and believe there is a God to die and find out there isn't than to live my life and not believe there is a God and die to find out there is !!!".
I'm afraid it doesn't work that way. If there is no god and you die, then you won't know it. You won't be able to reflect upon the absence of a god, you'll just be dead.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
02 Apr 07

Originally posted by rwingett
I'm afraid it doesn't work that way. If there is no god and you die, then you won't know it. You won't be able to reflect upon the absence of a god, you'll just be dead.
You do not know that.
Kelly

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
02 Apr 07

Originally posted by scottishinnz
Because the mind never plays tricks, right?!
Whatever made you think such a thing? Oh dear , if you think that the mind never can play tricks on us you have a lot to learn. The truth is sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. It can also be a trick of the mind to think that something is a trick of the mind. The mind is that tricky!

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
02 Apr 07

Originally posted by scottishinnz
Good you've answered Howard's questions. Now perhaps mine?

Do you concede that it may be you, and not others, who got their interpretation of biblical scripture wrong?
Do you concede that it may be you, and not others, who got their interpretation of biblical scripture wrong? SCOTTY

An example of how scripture can be misinterpreted is when something is taken out of context. If someone is viewing scripture in a narrow , isolated way then , yes , their interpretation is likely to be faulty. Another way to misinterpret scripture is when something is interpreted in a way that does not take into account God's love and compassion. Also taking certain things as literal when there is no demand to do so and not looking at the historical context in which they are written is another mistake as is the mistake of mistranslation from the greek/hebrew texts. Should I go on?

JJ

Moves
02 Apr 07

My point was that even if your comment is right then i still would have led a righteous life doing the Lords work but think how wonderful it would be to die and then be in the presense of the Lord !!!

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
02 Apr 07

My point was that even if your comment is right then i still would have led a righteous life doing the Lords work but think how wonderful it would be to die and then be in the presense of the Lord !!!
If there is no god, then there can be no such thing as "doing the Lord's work." Righteousness, likewise, becomes an empty concept. If you live your life in thrall to a supposed deity, but it turns out that there is no deity, then you have wasted your time.

JJ

Moves
02 Apr 07

If there is no god, then there can be no such thing as "doing the Lord's work." Righteousness, likewise, becomes an empty concept. If you live your life in thrall to a supposed deity, but it turns out that there is no deity, then you have wasted your time.
still..... would you rather live a happy,content life or a empty and sad life?

Thats what i am trying to say....to help others,to have a smile on my face and a spring in my step and to believe in God is not a waste of time...
By believing you are doing the Lords work brings inner peace whilst you are alive...surely that cant be a waste of time ???

S

Moves
02 Apr 07

still..... would you rather live a happy,content life or a empty and sad life?

Thats what i am trying to say....to help others,to have a smile on my face and a spring in my step and to believe in God is not a waste of time...
By believing you are doing the Lords work brings inner peace whilst you are alive...surely that cant be a waste of time ???
That depends whether or not you actually get the most out of life by following god or by living without such a concept.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
02 Apr 07

Originally posted by Starrman
That depends whether or not you actually get the most out of life by following god or by living without such a concept.
I have to agree with you here, doing good works for the sake of doing
the good works does help us get it the most out of life, with or with
out God.

God being real does sort out why things are done the way they are in
a way no person can, which brings us the the truth of the matter not
how we view things with our limited means of understanding them.

We can have two different people both give money to X, and on the
surface that is all that was done. The bottom line after that is why,
one might being doing it because they believe in X, while the other
could being doing it, to make themselves look good to do Y.
Kelly

h

Cosmos

Moves
03 Apr 07

Ultimately then, all of your "good" deeds are done for self interest.
An action which for an atheist like me would be purely altruistic, for you would have some element of self interest because to some degree you are doing it to get to heaven and be with your God.

In this way religious belief undermines the moral value of the action.