A little help explaining this draw?

A little help explaining this draw?

Only Chess

G
Mr. Shield

Moves
26 Sep 07

Granted, this position looks complicated, but is it really a draw already?

Game 3003283

And why did he only lose 8 points out of the draw? I've drawn 1500's and lost more points than that, or are the point losses calculated differently when you're over 2400?

R

Moves
26 Sep 07
1 edit

Your rating is determined by a formula (score - win expectancy) that is multiplied by a constant K. The value of K changes from 32 to 24 to 16 as you pass 2100 and 2400. Therefore players 2400+ cannot lose more than 16 points for a loss (looking at the formula you can see that it can never exceed |1|) or 8 points for a draw. As for why he decided to offer or accept a draw in this situation, I honestly have no idea what he was thinking making that decision against a player rated 900 points beneath him.

c
I'll take the Draw

NewBridge,Ireland

Moves
26 Sep 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Ramiri15
Your rating is determined by a formula (score - win expectancy) that is multiplied by a constant K. The value of K changes from 32 to 24 to 16 as you pass 2100 and 2400. Therefore players 2400+ cannot lose more than 16 points for a loss (looking at the formula you can see that it can never exceed |1|) or 8 points for a draw. As for why he decided to offe ...[text shortened]... no idea what he was thinking making that decision against a player rated 900 points beneath him.
I couldnt agree more Ramiri, I analyzed this game for over an hour trying o find a reason for a draw... I figure maybe he thought both would play a perfect game the whole way through and hes a great mindreader and futureteller. Its the only buyable reason I can see for this draw, but I wont get into it since the guy is 3rd and would make a human rug out of me. Honestly theres no reason he shouldve given a draw.. is there any possblility his mouse slipped and clicked Draw by Mistake? I know its unlikely but stranger things have happened.

SS

Moves
26 Sep 07

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
26 Sep 07

I dont think blacks position is all that great either, he has nasty doubled pawns, his king is more prone to attack and white has a bishop pair. I would be tempted to offer a draw to a lower rated player in a position like that just to be on the safe side.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
26 Sep 07

Oddly enough if you run the final position through Fritz's deep analysis for a few minutes, it rates it 0.00 after Rbe8.

E

Moves
26 Sep 07

Maybe he thought he was playing against an engine...

s

Moves
26 Sep 07

Originally posted by Emilios
Maybe he thought he was playing against an engine...
Thats what crossed my mind, but I didn't want to say it in case it was interpreted as an accusation (which it is not)

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
26 Sep 07
1 edit

I would not read that much in to this game.

A quick glance at sedevils games shows that this and a second against the same opponent Game 2851068 are the only non-tournament games seadevil has played in a while.

I don't know why he agreed to play against a lower rated player. Maybe they are friends. Maybe salhye asked. If someone 900 points lower rated played me that close for the first 32 moves in the second half of a double header and then asked for a draw in a game that was essentially meaningless, I'd probably accept it too.

j

Moves
26 Sep 07

Originally posted by c00ushion
Its the only buyable reason I can see for this draw, but I wont get into it since the guy is 3rd and would make a human rug out of me. Honestly theres no reason he shouldve given a draw..
Just because he's a good player, doesn't mean he's strong...

STS

Moves
26 Sep 07

Originally posted by GalaxyShield
Granted, this position looks complicated, but is it really a draw already?

Game 3003283

And why did he only lose 8 points out of the draw? I've drawn 1500's and lost more points than that, or are the point losses calculated differently when you're over 2400?
Vey fishy draw, considering the rating difference. Of course, I'm not casting any aspersions here.

R

Moves
26 Sep 07

Originally posted by jenna1
Just because he's a good player, doesn't mean he's strong...
Huh?

L
5. f3

Moves
27 Sep 07

The game was drawn because the oponent is his son 🙂

- LoLLe

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
27 Sep 07

Originally posted by Lolette

- LoLLe
Thanks for clearing that up Lolle.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
27 Sep 07

Originally posted by Lolette

- LoLLe
And you know this how?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.