The Moon and Design

Science

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
10 Feb 17

Originally posted by humy
I just looked this up and there is the occasional rarely accepted theory going around that all atoms have a halflife but one that is so massively great (zillions of zillions of years) that we have yet to ever observe a single 'stable' atom decay.
This theory currently has no real evidence supporting it and can currently be easily dismissed as pure wild speculation; -but who knows and perhaps time will tell.
Grand Unified Theories predict proton decay with extremely large half-lives.

Cape Town

Moves
10 Feb 17
1 edit

I just looked this up and there is the occasional rarely accepted theory going around that all atoms have a halflife but one that is so massively great (zillions of zillions of years) that we have yet to ever observe a single 'stable' atom decay.
This theory currently has no real evidence supporting it and can currently be easily dismissed as pure wild speculation; -but who knows and perhaps time will tell.
I think it follows directly from quantum mechanics. Atomic decay is a function of the different forces holding everything together and some randomness in terms of movement and position breaking those forces leading to decay.

Cape Town

Moves
10 Feb 17
2 edits

but one that is so massively great (zillions of zillions of years) that we have yet to ever observe a single 'stable' atom decay.
I must note that in a single mole there are 6.022×10^23 atoms. If half of those will decay in a zillion zillion years, then to see one decay we need only observe for (a zillion zillion divided by half a mole) years.
When you have decided how many zeros in a zillion, we can do the calculation.

Tellurium-128's half-life is over 160 trillion times longer than the universe has existed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_radioactive_isotopes_by_half-life#1030_seconds
Tellurium-128's half-life is over 160 trillion times longer than the universe has existed.

Yet apparently decay has been observed and its halflife measured.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
10 Feb 17

Originally posted by twhitehead
Be careful here. It all depends on what isotope you are talking about.
But according to Wikipedia, every known isotope of Uranium has a halflife.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium

I suspect that every atom except hydrogen has a theoretical halflife.
The key words are spontaneous fission not mere alpha decay. While it can be argued that alpha decay is spontaneous fission, it seems not to be what was meant since chaney3 said: "The scienist said that uranium is the only element that, on its own, changes its nucleus.". The scientist cannot possibly have thought that uranium is the only element that undergoes alpha decay. He or she must have been referring to spontaneous fission. The Wikipedia page [1] gives a list of elements which do undergo spontaneous fission and I was wrong, Uranium is among them. The list of elements Wikipedia gives is: Uranium 235 (3.5E17 years), Uranium 238 (8.4E15 years), Plutonium 239 (5.5E15 years), Plutonium 240 (1.16E11 years), Curium 250 (61% of decays lead to spontaneous fission, overall half life 6900 years), Californium 252 (3% of decays are spontaneous fissions, overall half-life is 2.63 years).

The first thing I'd like to point out is that the spontaneous fission rates of Uranium and Plutonium 239 are small, with half-lives for spontaneous fission of the order of a quintillion years. Plutonium 240 has a half-life for spontaneous fission an order of magnitude bigger than the age of the universe. So I was right in so far that it's really much more significant with Pu 240. Although note [2]. Now, the thing to note about this list is that none of the elements listed occur naturally in the Earth's crust due to their short half-lives. So what Chaney3's scientist probably actually said was words to the effect of:

"Uranium is the only naturally occurring element that undergoes spontaneous nuclear fission."

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_fission
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fission_track_dating

Cape Town

Moves
10 Feb 17

Originally posted by DeepThought
"Uranium is the only naturally occurring element that undergoes spontaneous nuclear fission."
But even so, his implication that it is not known why is unfounded. Spontaneous fission occurs with very large nucleus' and the larger they are the faster it happens. So it really isn't surprising that there is only one or two with a half life just right to 'naturally occur' as well as not be considered completely stable.

c

Moves
10 Feb 17

But even so, his implication that it is not known why is unfounded. Spontaneous fission occurs with very large nucleus' and the larger they are the faster it happens. So it really isn't surprising that there is only one or two with a half life just right to 'naturally occur' as well as not be considered completely stable.
The documentary I watched on PBS was presented by a physicist and engineer, Derek Muller, titled "Uranium: Twisting the Dragon's Tail".

He said that uranium is the only element (parent) to initially change its nucleus. The following daughters of uranium do the same until the final product is lead.

He only mentioned half life, after humans forced fission and radioactive problems like Chernobel and Hiroshima occured.

K

Germany

Moves
10 Feb 17

Originally posted by wildgrass
One could argue, were he still playing Devil's advocate, that Occam's razor actually supports the existence of a Creator on these grounds. To say that "the universe was made by a Deity" very succintly explains where all the laws of the Universe came from. All you have to explain is where the Deity comes from (and of course, all the matter). But if "the uni ...[text shortened]... le that nothing knew all the laws of the Universe. In this context, nothing is more complicated.
"The Universe was made by nothing" is not the only alternative to "the Universe was made by a deity."

In fact, for a deity to "explain" something, one first needs to identify how one measures a deity and how a world with a deity is different from one without a deity.

Cape Town

Moves
10 Feb 17
2 edits

Originally posted by chaney3
He said that uranium is the only element (parent) to initially change its nucleus. The following daughters of uranium do the same until the final product is lead.
You clearly misunderstood him.

I watch his YouTube channel and I have probably seen bits or all of the documentary in the past.

Sadly this website won't let us South Africans watch it.

http://www.pbs.org/program/uranium-twisting-dragons-tail/

c

Moves
10 Feb 17

You clearly misunderstood him.

I watch his YouTube channel and I have probably seen bits or all of the documentary in the past.

Sadly this website won't let us South Africans watch it.

http://www.pbs.org/program/uranium-twisting-dragons-tail/
He explained it at a pool table, with the nucleus of uranium as "red and white pool balls", above the pool table.

I don't think I misunderstood. He had the opportunity to say other elements are capable of the same, but he didn't.

Cape Town

Moves
10 Feb 17
1 edit

I don't think I misunderstood.
You clearly did.

I do think, however, that you should continue watching educational documentaries. You have a lot to learn.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
11 Feb 17

Then you guess wrong; it isn't design idea that is annoying us but the moronic rhetoric of chaney3.
And, it isn't so much the topic we are responding to, which is completely idiotic and thus I bet extremely uninteresting to most of us, but rather the moronic chaney3 rhetoric. The only thing I find 'interesting' about it is how can some people believe such a load ...[text shortened]... n'.
If we found the idiotic 'design' thing interesting, we would have brought it up ourselves here.
So the 'design' idea doesn't annoy you, but it is idiotic? Rationality evades you on this issue. Like I said, it strikes a nerve.

Embrace the pain, handle it, and grow in power.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
11 Feb 17

Bugger chaney3 and the stupid bible until they disappear, and the issue remains.

c

Moves
11 Feb 17

You clearly did.

I do think, however, that you should continue watching educational documentaries. You have a lot to learn.
While I was doing more study of uranium, I came across the Quantum Zeno Effect, which basically says that if you observe the nucleus of uranium, it will not change. Yet, once you walk away, it changes, as if it's aware you are watching and will do nothing until you leave.

Only design can account for this. Unless you want to give intellect to atoms, like you do for evolution.

Cape Town

Moves
11 Feb 17

While I was doing more study of uranium, I came across the Quantum Zeno Effect, which basically says that if you observe the nucleus of uranium, it will not change. Yet, once you walk away, it changes, as if it's aware you are watching and will do nothing until you leave.

Only design can account for this. Unless you want to give intellect to atoms, like you do for evolution.
Except design doesn't account for it either.

Sorry, but your argument boils down to 'I don't understand it therefore its design'. Bad argument.

Cape Town

Moves
11 Feb 17

Originally posted by apathist
Bugger chaney3 and the stupid bible until they disappear, and the issue remains.
What issue? Design doesn't annoy me and it doesn't 'strike a nerve' with me. Its an interesting topic when there is someone actually capable of rational discussion.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.