A question to atheists

Spirituality

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
15 Jun 06

Originally posted by Churlant
It's not that I don't like it, I'm just not sure I agree, or maybs I just don't understand. It doesn't seem reasonable to conclude that the underlying limitations of existence are supernatural in origin - regardless of whether a God/god can be credited or not.

I agree with the concept, but don't believe it moves beyond mere conceptualization at this point.

-JC
Good. I consider my point made and hopefully it’s taken. I’ll desist from distracting you any longer. 😉

l

London

Moves
16 Jun 06

Originally posted by Churlant
Are you actually claiming that God goes around personally overseeing every particular spermatazoon and every particular ovum as they combine, along with genetic variation within that union? Kind of depressing if you consider genetic defects part of God's work.

Nonsense, all of it.

God can have all the power He likes, without my parents, I'm not here. ...[text shortened]... same event and call it life.

God has no choice in the matter. Not much of an artist.

-JC
Actually, if God is as powerful as most theists and deists agree He is, then your parents are not needed for you to come into existence.

While you control your external reactions to an experience, your internal control is quite limited (even over the conscious part of your mind). You cannot choose whether you feel anger or joy at a particular event - the best you can do is repress it by choosing not to acknowledge it.

S

Moves
16 Jun 06

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Actually, if God is as powerful as most theists and deists agree He is, then your parents are not needed for you to come into existence.

While you control your external reactions to an experience, your internal control is quite limited (even over the conscious part of your mind). You cannot choose whether you feel anger or joy at a particular event - the best you can do is repress it by choosing not to acknowledge it.
How then are you supposed to refuse to give in to temptation? You cannot have it both ways.

l

London

Moves
16 Jun 06

Originally posted by Starrman
How then are you supposed to refuse to give in to temptation? You cannot have it both ways.
Feeling that one is tempted and acting on the basis of that temptation are two different things. You have little choice about the former; the latter is entirely under your control.

S

Moves
16 Jun 06

Feeling that one is tempted and acting on the basis of that temptation are two different things. You have little choice about the former; the latter is entirely under your control.
How do you reconcile the notion that you must resist the desire which has been biologically placed in you by god, with the supposed gift of free will that he claims to have given you?

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
16 Jun 06

How do you reconcile the notion that you must resist the desire which has been biologically placed in you by god, with the supposed gift of free will that he claims to have given you?
I'll offer something on that one: thought.

S

Moves
16 Jun 06

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
I'll offer something on that one: thought.
If you're going to be a smart alec, then clear off. The question was a serious one directed at LH

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
16 Jun 06

If you're going to be a smart alec, then clear off. The question was a serious one directed at LH
That wasn't meant to be anything but a serious answer. The Christian life is one of thought, and demands that our minds be filled with truth (Bible doctrine, not merely facts).

l

London

Moves
16 Jun 06

Who says all of our desires have been biologically placed in us by God?

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
16 Jun 06

I think one should start by defining the function of the appetites/desires placed within us.

S

Moves
16 Jun 06

Who says all of our desires have been biologically placed in us by God?
You'll have to clarify for me then how they are put there, since it seems to me that desires and emotions are bio-chemical in origin.

S

Moves
16 Jun 06

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
That wasn't meant to be anything but a serious answer. The Christian life is one of thought, and demands that our minds be filled with truth (Bible doctrine, not merely facts).
Okay, apologies, but that still doesn't really say anything about the subject.

S

Moves
16 Jun 06

Originally posted by Halitose
I think one should start by defining the function of the appetites/desires placed within us.
You would define the function before analysing the implication of origin?

l

London

Moves
16 Jun 06

You'll have to clarify for me then how they are put there, since it seems to me that desires and emotions are bio-chemical in origin.
If you believe that then, as Hal pointed out, free will is an illusion. Do you sincerely believe that you have absolutely no control over what you do? That the idea of "you" (to contol) is itself illusory?

S

Moves
16 Jun 06

If you believe that then, as Hal pointed out, free will is an illusion. Do you sincerely believe that you have absolutely no control over what you do? That the idea of "you" (to contol) is itself illusory?
Sentience allows control over one's own thoughts. There is a difference between freedom of action and freedom of opportunity. While you can say that the 'me' that I am is likely to act in such ways as to get me into certain situations and my natural reaction to them is predetermined by my biology, I don't believe you can say that I do not have control of my reasoning when I am aware of it and am acting as such.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.