Spiritual Quotes

Spiritual Quotes

Spirituality

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
29 Jun 06

Originally posted by drjegc
"If I were not an atheist, I would believe in a God who would choose to save people on the basis of the totality of their lives and not the pattern of their words. I think he would prefer an honest and righteous atheist to a TV preacher whose every word is God, God, God, and whose every deed is foul, foul, foul."

Isaac Asimov
Amen.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
11 Jul 06

A Satisfied Mind

How many times have
You heard someone say
If I had his money
I could do things my way

But little they know
That it’s so hard to find
One rich man in ten
With a satisfied mind

Once I was waitin’
In fortune and fame
Everything that I dreamed for
To get a start in life’s game

Then suddenly it happened
I lost every dime
But I’m richer by far
With a satisfied mind

Money can’t buy back
Your youth when you’re old
Or a friend when you’re lonely
Or a love that’s grown cold

The wealthiest person
Is a pauper at times
Compared to the man
With a satisfied mind

When my life has ended
And my time has run out
My friends and my loved ones
I’ll leave there’s no doubt

But one thing’s for certain
When it comes my time
I’ll leave this old world
With a satisfied mind

How many times have
You heard someone say
If I had his money
I could do things my way

But little they know
That it’s so hard to find
One rich man in ten
With a satisfied mind

-Johhny Cash-

L

Moves
11 Jul 06

Bedrock, by Gary Snyder:

for Masa

Snowmelt pond warm granite
we make camp,
no thought of finding more.
and nap
and leave our minds to the wind.

on the bedrock, gently tilting,
sky and stone,

teach me to be tender.

the touch that nearly misses--
brush of glances--
tiny steps--
that finally cover worlds
of hard terrain.
cloud wisps and mists
gathered into slate blue
bolts of summer rain.

tea together in the purple starry eve;
new moon set,
why does it take so
long to learn to
love,
we laugh
and grieve.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
13 Jul 06

"If this sticker is blue, you're driving too fast."

Bumper sticker.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
13 Jul 06

Student: Why is there evil in the universe?
Ramakrishna: To thicken the plot.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
19 Jul 06

We are living in a time when... [p]hilosophically, you can believe anything, so long as you do not claim it to be true. Morally, you can practice anything, so long as you do not claim that it is a "better" way. Religiously, you can hold to anything, so long as you do not bring Jesus Christ into it. If a spiritual idea is eastern, it is granted critical immunity; if western, it is thoroughly criticized. Thus, a journalist can walk into a church and mock its carryings on, but he or she dare not do the same if the ceremony is from the eastern fold. Such is the mood at the end of the twentieth century.

R. Zacharias

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
19 Jul 06

"I had a kind of revelation in the Sinai desert, where Moses received the Ten Commandments. Suddenly I experienced a total rejection of monotheism. In this very rocky, inspiring land, I said to myself that the idea of believing in only one God was cretinous. I could not think of another word. And the stupidest religion of all is Islam. When one reads the Koran one is devastated, devastated. At least the Bible is very beautiful because the Jews have a sacred literary talent which can excuse a lot of things." (Michel Houellebecq)

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
19 Jul 06

Those who love life do not read. Nor do they go to the movies, actually. No matter what might be said, access to the artistic universe is more or less entirely the preserve of those who are a little fed up with the world." (Michel Houellebecq, H.P. Lovecraft: Against Nature, Against Life)

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
19 Jul 06

“V: What do you mean by “antisocial”? Do you mean that religions militate against a healthy society?

JGB: Absolutely. I was brought up in one of the very few societies on Earth which had no religious beliefs (and as far as I can tell, has never had any), and that is China. There’s a bit of animism and a bit of burning incense to ancestors, but there’s no belief in the supernatural – it’s rather like you and I talking about the spirit of Shakespeare – we don’t literally mean some sort of supernatural entity is floating around. When the Chinese talk about the spirits of their ancestors, they mean it as a metaphor – the Chinese have no religious beliefs. Confucianism is not really a religion at all, nor is Buddhism, and Taoism is not a religion in the strictest sense. There’s no supernatural element in any of those religions – which is why I like them. And the Chinese character is interesting for that reason.

It may be that the backwardness of China could be blamed on the absence of religion, because religions (whatever their faults) are energizing by virtue of the unconscious and psychopathic strains which enter into the individual’s mind and into the social mind. That is a very curious thing – that. Religions, for all they are to be campaigned against (if not actively despised) are vehicles for energizing psychopathic behavior. So it’s no coincidence that the fiercely Protestant countries of Northern Europe launched the industrial revolution and launched the United States, if you like. The Puritan fathers took that fierce Protestant work ethic with all its repressions and created the most dynamic society the world has ever seen.

So it may be that the absence of a religion in China acted as a sort of brake on that country’s industrial development…lack of religion may have had a restraining influence, turning China into a kind of eventless world. For something like 2000 years nothing happened! You read Chinese history, and nothing happened until 1910. There was this vast agricultural society run by a class of elite administrators who traveled around in sedan chairs…and nothing happened! Now and then they invented something like a moveable type of gunpowder or accurate timepieces, but they lost interest in them because there was no imagination to energize these discoveries. It’s very strange…”

J.G. Ballard / V. Vale Interview
( http://www.laurahird.com/newreview/jgballardinterview.html )

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
19 Jul 06

“I am interested in the surrealists altogether, because I am a great believer in the need of imagination to transform everything, otherwise we’ll have to take the world as we find it, and I don’t think we should. We should re-make the world…The madman does that…the psychopath does that…But the real job is to re-make the world is to re-make the world in a way that is meaningful.” (Ballard, in Metaphores #7, 1983)

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
19 Jul 06

We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse.

- St. Augustine.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
19 Jul 06

Several hours or several years make no difference once you have lost eternity.

- Jean-Paul Sartre

Vn

Moves
19 Jul 06

he is not the messiah, he's my son!

s

Moves
19 Jul 06

Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.

~ Napoleon Bonaparte

Hmmm . . .

Moves
25 Jul 06

on the deep green lily-pad dew

has no color of its own

—Zen Master Ikkyu

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.