Spirituality

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
28 Aug 06
2 edits

Philosophers Egge
Another Secret I shall shew you, you must prepare Argentum vivum by mortifying it with the vapour of Tin for Pearls, and with the vapour of Lead for the Stone Iberus; then let it be ground with desiccating things, and Attramentis, and the like, as is said, and let there be an assation: Then let there be a sublimation * if for Pearles twelve times; if for rednesse one and twenty times, until the humidity within it be totally corrupted. Nor is it possible, that its humidity be separated by vapour, as the fore-said oyl; because its vehemently mixed with its dry parts; nor doth it constitute,as in the foresaid metals. In this Chapter you may be deceived, unlesse you distinguish of the signification of the words. It's now high time I involve the third Chapter: that you acquire the Calx, the * Calx of the body, {* Al. Clavem operis.} which you intend, the body is calcined, when it is appodiated, i.e. that the humour in it may be corrupted by salt, and with salt Armoniack and vinegar, and sometimes with burning things, and with Sulphur and Arsnick: and sometimes bodies are fed with Argentum vivum, and sublimated from them, until they remain putred. The claves of the Art are congelation, resolution, inceration, proportion; and another way purification, distillation, separation, calcination and fixation, and then you may acquiesce.

Friar Bacon ,,,, Roger i.e.

w

Moves
30 Aug 06

"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing. The more you know, the more you realize you don't know. And in knowing that you know nothing, that makes you the smartest of all."

"He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with what he would like to have"

"The unexamined life is not worth living"

"The qualities which a man seeks in his beloved are those characteristics of his own soul, whether he knows it or not."

"You are providing for your disciples a show of wisdom without the reality. For, acquiring by your means much information unaided by instruction, they will appear to possess much knowledge, while, in fact, they will, for the most part, know nothing at all; and, moreover, be disagreeable people to deal with, as having become wise in their own conceit, instead of truly wise."

"If a rich man is proud of his wealth, he should not be praised until it is known how he employs it."

"I was afraid that by observing objects with my eyes and trying to comprehend them with each of my other senses I might blind my soul altogether."

"Whenever, therefore, people are deceived and form opinions wide of the truth, it is clear that the error has slid into their minds through the medium of certain resemblances to that truth."

"But already it is time to depart, for me to die, for you to go on living; which of us takes the better course, is concealed from anyone except God."

Socrates (469-399 BC)

Hmmm . . .

Moves
30 Aug 06

I don’t know the true face
of Hermit Mountain

because I live here on it.

A clear wind comes
like an old friend.

No one is seen
deep in the mountain:
only voices resounding—

Rain bamboos wind pines:
All preach Zen.

—Soiku Shigematsu, A Zen Forest: Sayings of the Masters

w

Moves
31 Aug 06

No one in the world can alter truth. All we can do is seek it and live it.

-St. Maximillian Maria Kolbe

Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.

-Winston Churchhill

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
06 Sep 06

One man's religion is another man's belly laugh.
--Robert A. Heinlein

Moves
06 Sep 06

The man of science is a poor philosopher.

-Albert Einstein

Y
Renaissance

OnceInALifetime

Moves
07 Sep 06

"All superstition is much the same whether it be that of astrology, dreams, omens, retributive judgments, or the like, in all of which the deluded believers observe events which are fulfilled, but neglect and pass over their failure, though it be much more common."

- Francis Bacon

s
Doh!!! Or--Are--I

Springfield, USA

Moves
07 Sep 06

"WTF"

Spiritmangr8ness 😏

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
08 Sep 06

Consider the following paired sets of propositions, in which Standard English alternates with English-Prime (E-Prime):

lA. The electron is a wave.
lB. The electron appears as a wave when measured with instrument-l.

2A. The electron is a particle.
2B. The electron appears as a particle when measured with instrument-2.

3A. John is lethargic and unhappy.
3B. John appears lethargic and unhappy in the office.

4A. John is bright and cheerful.
4B. John appears bright and cheerful on holiday at the beach.

5A. This is the knife the first man used to stab the second man.
5B. The first man appeared to stab the second man with what looked like a knife to me.

6A. The car involved in the hit-and-run accident was a blue Ford.
6B. In memory, I think I recall the car involved in the hit-and-run accident as a blue Ford.

7A. This is a fascist idea.
7B. This seems like a fascist idea to me.

8A. Beethoven is better than Mozart.
8B. In my present mixed state of musical education and ignorance, Beethoven seems better to me than Mozart.

9A. That is a sexist movie.
9B. That seems like a sexist movie to me.

10A. The fetus is a person.
10B. In my system of metaphysics, I classify the fetus as a person.

Robert Anton Wilson

l

London

Moves
08 Sep 06

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Consider the following paired sets of propositions, in which Standard English alternates with English-Prime (E-Prime):

lA. The electron is a wave.
lB. The electron appears as a wave when measured with instrument-l.

2A. The electron is a particle.
2B. The electron appears as a particle when measured with instrument-2.

3A. John is leth ...[text shortened]... on.
10B. In my system of metaphysics, I classify the fetus as a person.

Robert Anton Wilson
A good example of what happens when philosophy runs amok and philosophers build their metaphysical/epistemic systems based on preferred conclusions rather than allow the conclusions to follow from a reasonable system.

w

Moves
09 Sep 06
1 edit

Oath of the Red Green men's support group.

"I'm a man......I can change......if I have to.....I guess."

Moves
11 Sep 06

One of the peculiar sins of the twentieth century which we've developed to a very high level is the sin of credulity. It has been said that when human beings stop believing in God they believe in nothing. The truth is much worse: they believe in anything.

- Malcolm Muggeridge

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
13 Sep 06

All nature has a feeling

All nature has a feeling: woods, fields, brooks
Are life eternal: and in silence they
Speak happiness beyond the reach of books;
There's nothing mortal in them; their decay
Is the green life of change; to pass away
And come again in blooms revivified.
Its birth was heaven, eternal it its stay,
And with the sun and moon shall still abide
Beneath their day and night and heaven wide.

John Clare

Moves
13 Sep 06

A lot of kneeling will keep you in right standing. He who kneels before God can stand before anyone.

j

Moves
14 Sep 06

"I want nothing for myself. I want everything for the Lord."

Watchman Nee

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.