The Universal  Bright Woman

The Universal Bright Woman

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
28 Aug 14
1 edit

Originally posted by sonship
Scriptures which I put to music.

www.scripturesongs.us

Symphonic music but not widely published works.

I belong to a local area composer's society that puts on three concerts a year.
Nice. I had an old timey american band in Phoenix and a local composer made up an Appalachian music suite and we played it with the Phoenix symphony. That was a blast.

Afterwards, the musicians came over to us in the band and the were marveling at our scribble notations, no notes, just chords and such, timing, 4/4, 3/4 and such.

They were going, how can you play with such crude notes?

Not understanding the improvisational nature of old timey music plus we already played all the tunes as part of our repetory.

They were incapable of even thinking about playing without the sheet music in front of them.

My daughter got her first degree at Berkeley in Boston and MA at Wesleyan in composition, her first degree was in synthezer sound design. Her husband is from India, has a Phd in physics and they both teach at Federal University in Natal Brazil (one of the world cup soccer games was played there, huge stadium.

Do you have anything on myspace or youtube? I put up 4 of my instrumental compositions on myspace if you are interested in hearing secular tunes.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
28 Aug 14
2 edits

Originally posted by sonhouse
Nice. I had an old timey american band in Phoenix and a local composer made up an Appalachian music suite and we played it with the Phoenix symphony. That was a blast.

Afterwards, the musicians came over to us in the band and the were marveling at our scribble notations, no notes, just chords and such, timing, 4/4, 3/4 and such.

They were going, how ...[text shortened]... up 4 of my instrumental compositions on myspace if you are interested in hearing secular tunes.
Very interesting.

Congradulations on your daughter's degree completion.

Any more discussion of music I would prefer to do on the Culture Forum.
But here is a fair performance of a piece I composed.
I am not in this video.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
28 Aug 14
4 edits

The rapture of the collective [b]man-child must be realized in this light. This should be the view of the prayer meetings of the local church. We command God concerning the works of His hands. We ask in His name, meaning we live in Him and ask according to His will and for the sake of His kingdom.

God invited his people to command Him concerning His ...[text shortened]... emnant as a representative group of overcomers who turn the age and bring in the kingdom of God.[/b]
What I am tring to point out to you is that "man-child" is an incorrect translation. The Greek word used here is more specific than "man" which can mean a "human being" because it (the Greek word used) identifies the "male" gender.

If you check "Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible" the Greek word is number 730. This is the same word used in Matthew 19:4 and Mark 10:6 when Jesus says that God made them "male" and female. Strong's number 444 is the Greek word for "man" that means human being that can include both genders.

Obviously, John meant to emphasize this son symbol meant a single "male" figure and not human beings in any sort of collective manner. I also informed you that the Greek word for "child" is missing. For some unknown reason the translator just decided to add "child" here, but "child" is not mentioned in this verse until later in the text.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
28 Aug 14

Very interesting.

Congradulations on your daughter's degree completion.

Any more discussion of music I would prefer to do on the Culture Forum.
But here is a fair performance of a piece I composed.
I am not in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6AEpA8Tujo
Be glad to meet you in culture. I have a lot of folk music posted there, that is my strength. Why don't you intro yourself there and post that video there? I can give you my myspace address if you wish.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Aug 14
6 edits

Originally posted by RJHinds
What I am tring to point out to you is that "man-child" is an incorrect translation. The Greek word used here is more specific than "man" which can mean a "human being" because it (the Greek word used) identifies the "male" gender.

I heard you and am rather more impressed that some English versions which have a reputation of being "wooden" or quite adherent to the original language even if it sacrifices good sounding English. Some of them do not establish your complaint.

For example, the 1901 American Standard renders the passage -

American Standard Version
And she was delivered of a son, a man child, who is to rule all the nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and unto his throne.

John Nelson Darby's translation is another along with the 1901 ASV that I consult as "wooden" translation that I can count on to be more concerned with accurate rendering than good sounding English. And Darby's rendering is

Darby Bible Translation
And she brought forth a male son, who shall shepherd all the nations with an iron rod; and her child was caught up to God and to his throne.

Weymouth, World English and Young's Literal are all quite independent. The theological interpretation you take may even be their own for all I know. Regardless of this these three renderings are as follows.

Weymouth New Testament
She gave birth to a son-- a male child, destined before long to rule all nations with an iron scepter. But her child was caught up to God and His throne,

World English Bible
She gave birth to a son, a male child, who is to rule all the nations with a rod of iron. Her child was caught up to God, and to his throne.

Young's Literal Translation
and she brought forth a male child, who is about to rule all the nations with a rod of iron, and caught away was her child unto God and His throne,

Thank you for your point as neither you nor I can read and write New Testament Greek. But it is your opinion that is NOT shared by many translators about the Greek words.

1.) I acknolwedge that they MAY share your point that the baby is Jesus.

2.) I do not think there is collusion or conspiracy.

3.) Evidently, from independent scholarship, something highlighting that it is a man or male child comes out in the Greek.

If you check "Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible" the Greek word is number 730. This is the same word used in Matthew 19:4 and Mark 10:6 when Jesus says that God made them "male" and female. Strong's number 444 is the Greek word for "man" that means human being that can include both genders.

I am looking at page 883 of my Strong's Exhuastive Concordance. And under "MAN" for Revelation 12:5 it reads

Rev. 12:5 And she brought forth a m, child .... 730

In that same volume on page 18 of the Greek Dictionary I read (as much as I can reproduce with these fonts)

730 ... arrhen, ar'-hrane; or .... arsen, or ar -sane; prob. from 142; male (as stronger for lifting: - male, man.

The word to follow Greek entry 730 in Rev. 12:5 is entry # 5207 - "child". For that entry I read (as much as I can reproduce here)

5207. huios, hicee-os; appar. a prim. word a "son" (sometimes of animals), used very widely of immed, remote or fig. kinship: - child, foal, son.

I don't think your point is strong enough. And quite a few independent translators with probably no particular agenda to push on that verse, translate the word Man-child or something sounding like that.

Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible (no colleague of Govette, Nee or Lee as far as I know) has this opinion

Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible

And she brought forth a man child,.... Not Christ, literally and personally considered, or Christ in his human nature, as made of a woman, and born of a virgin, which was a fact that had been years ago; but Christ mystically, or Christ in his members, who are called by his name, because he is formed in them, and they are the seed of the woman, the church; and many of these were brought forth to Christ by the church in the primitive times, who were a manly birth, hale, strong, and robust Christians; or rather this manly birth may design a more glorious appearing and breaking forth of the kingdom of Christ in the Roman empire;

[My emphasis]

I do not believe Gill adopted this viewpoint from any publication of Witness Lee. I rather think he arose at this opinion quite independently from considerations of a New Testament scholar.

Not everyone agrees with you that we can ONLY see the individual Jesus being symbolized in Revelation 12:5 in spite of your appeals to other passages.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
31 Aug 14

I heard you and am rather more impressed that some English versions which have a reputation of being "woo ...[text shortened]... ual Jesus being symbolized in [b]Revelation 12:5
in spite of your appeals to other passages.[/b]
The actual translation from the Greek of Revelation 12:5 is as follows:

And she gave birth to a Son, a male who would shepherd all the nations with a rod of iron. And her child was snatched up to God and His throne.

I don't see how you could say, "a son, a man child" make better sounding English than "a son, a male child" as translated by the NASB, which also puts "child" in italics indicating that word is not actually there in the Greek.

In English it is not normal to say "man child" instead of "male child" or just "male" when referring to a son.

w

Moves
31 Aug 14

Originally posted by FMF
Trying to characterize posting spirituality related posts on a Spirituality Forum as "obsession" is a risible attempt to land one on sonship's chin and it is a swing and a miss on your part. If he posted about watching great movies on a forum dedicated to the topic "great movies", and you tried to condescend him by saying that he clearly had nothing in his life except for watching great movies, then your attempt to belittle him would be equally lame. 🙂
I think he should PM him with scripture 24/7. 😵

w

Moves
31 Aug 14

Originally posted by sonhouse
But that is ALL he posts. Sounds like obsession to me.
It bothers you that the Bible means that much to someone, doesn't it?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Aug 14

From The Glorious Church by Watchman Nee

THE PRINCIPLE OF THE MAN-CHILD

The Scripture says that this man-child will "shepherd all the nations with an iron rod." This is God's purpose. The work of the church is to cause Satan to lose his power and bring in God's kingdom. The church which God desires must have the characteristic of Abigail—that of cooperation with Christ. Since the church, however, has not attained to God's purpose, nor does she even know God's purpose, what can God do? He will choose a group of overcomers who will attain His purpose and fulfill His demand. This is the principle of the man-child.

There are many examples of this principle in the Bible. What was God's purpose in choosing the people of Israel in the Old Testament time? Exodus 19 tells us that He chose them to be a kingdom of priests. What does a kingdom of priests mean? It means that the whole nation was to serve God and be His priests. However, not all of the people of Israel became priests, because they worshipped the golden calf. Instead of serving God, they worshipped an idol. Therefore, Moses charged the people of Israel, saying, "Who is on the Lord's side? let him come unto me" (Exo. 32:26). Then all of the sons of Levi gathered themselves together unto Moses. Then Moses said to them, "Thus saith the Lord God of Israel, Put every man his sword by his side, and go in and out from gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbor" (v. 27). The worshiping of idols is the greatest sin, so God required these men to slay their own brothers with the sword. "And the children of Levi did according to the word of Moses" (v. 28). They were willing to serve God above all their human affection, so God chose them to be the priests. From that time forward, only those of the tribe of Levi were priests among all the people of Israel. The whole body of the Israelites henceforth approached God through the Levites. Originally, all of the Israelites were chosen to serve God, but they failed Him; therefore, God chose from among the whole body of failures a group of people who would stand in their place. This group of people is the overcomers.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Aug 14
2 edits

Cont. from above - The Glorious Church W. Nee

http://www.ministrybooks.org/books.cfm?n

We must remember that the Levites did not serve God for themselves, nor were they overcomers by their own selection. Much less did they claim superiority over the others. If this had happened, they would have been finished. The Levites were chosen by God to be the priests as representing the whole body of the people of Israel. What the children of Israel should have offered unto God, the children of Levi offered for them. The service of the Levites before God was counted as the service of the whole nation of Israel. Only the children of Levi were priests, but the whole nation of Israel benefited from their priesthood. In the same manner, the work of the overcomers is for the whole church. The work belongs to the overcomers, but the church receives the blessing of the work. This is the glory of the overcomers. The business is theirs, but their accomplishments bring glory to the whole church; the work is theirs, but the whole church derives the blessing.

During the time of the Judges, the people of Israel were oppressed by the Midianites and were in great desperation. Out of one of their tribes, God raised up Gideon to lead a contingent of men and chase away the enemy. The whole nation was set free because of this group. The responsibility rested on the whole nation, but some were afraid and some were slothful; therefore, a group of them went forth to the battle and brought benefit to the whole nation.

The same principle is seen when the people of Israel returned from captivity. God originally promised that after the seventy years of captivity, the people of Israel would return and be restored to the land. However, not all returned; only a minority led by Ezra, Nehemiah, Zerubbabel, and Joshua came back to build the temple and the city of Jerusalem. But what they did counted for the whole nation of Israel. It was reckoned as the recovery and returning of the whole nation.

The principle of the overcomers is not that an individual who is especially spiritual will have a crown and glory waiting for him. This is not to say that individuals will not be rewarded with crowns and glory in that day. These they may obtain, but they are not for these; this is not their main purpose. The reason for the overcomers to be the overcomers is not to receive glory or crowns for themselves, but simply to take the position which the whole church should take and do the work for the church. Before God, the church should be in that condition which He desires; she should be responsible to Him, fulfilling the work committed to her and standing in her proper position. The church, however, has failed and is still failing today. She has not become what she was originally purposed to be; she has not done her work, taken up her responsibility, nor stood in her proper position. She has not gained the ground for God. There is only a group of people left to do that work for the church and to take up the church's responsibility. This group is the overcomers. What they do is counted as the work of the whole church. If there are those who will be the overcomers, God's purpose is attained and He is satisfied. This is the principle of the man-child.

The reason we are considering this matter of the man-child is because in God's eternal purpose He needs a group of overcomers. According to history, we have to admit that the church has failed. Therefore, God is calling the overcomers to stand for the church. The man-child spoken of in this passage of Revelation refers particularly to the overcomers at the end time. Once the man-child is brought forth, he will be caught up to the throne of God. Then things will immediately happen in heaven and Satan will be cast down. God's difficulty is removed by the rapture of the man-child; His problem is solved. It seems that once the man-child is born, God's purpose can no longer be hindered. This is what God is calling for today; this is what interests Him today. God needs a group of people to attain His original goal.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
31 Aug 14

Cont. from above - [b]The Glorious Church W. Nee

http://www.ministrybooks.org/books.cfm?n

We must remember that the Levites did not serve God for themselves, nor were they overcomers by their own selection. Much less did they claim superiority over the others. If this had happened, they would h ...[text shortened]... is what interests Him today. God needs a group of people to attain His original goal.
[/b]
I suppose the group of overcomers are from Witness Lee's and Watchman Nee's recovered local churches. Is that the point of all this?

K

Moves
31 Aug 14

Sonship,
Where you type the things that you do, are they somebody else's words that are giving us? Do you make up all the words yourself when you try to explain things?

K

Moves
31 Aug 14
1 edit

Galveston75,
Have you heard before that the bride of Christ is "The Church?" Don't think of Christ being married to a human being with whom he would have a 1-flesh relationship before God. There is no support in the bible for Christ being married to a human being. Don't add what isn't there.

K

Moves
31 Aug 14

Sonship,
Is it true that only the sons of Aaron were allowed to be priests and not all of the Levites(sons of Levi)? You posted earlier that the Levites were priests right?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
31 Aug 14
1 edit

Originally posted by KingOnPoint
Sonship,
Is it true that only the sons of Aaron were allowed to be priests and not all of the Levites(sons of Levi)? You posted earlier that the Levites were priests right?
Refer here for an explanation:

The Levitical Priesthood

http://www.bible.ca/archeology/[WORD TOO LONG].htm

The dates listed are approximated dates.