Truth- Absolute or Relative?

Truth- Absolute or Relative?

Spirituality

F

Moves
26 Sep 19

@dj2becker said
I think the idea of moral absolutism scares you for obvious reasons.
No, I am not "scared". You are misreading the situation, misreading the dynamic of our conversation, and misreading me.

Moves
26 Sep 19

@fmf said
I would say that all your "uses of logic" to try to establish the "objectivity" of your personal opinions about supernatural and divine matters are all subjective.
I totally understand why you would say that and why also why you cannot entertain the notion of the existence of objective absolute truth that is knowable and defendable with logic and reason.

Moves
26 Sep 19

@fmf said
You cannot generate "objective" opinions about your superstitions and your speculations about unprovable things by babbling about "logic".
It is not surprising in the least that the use of logic does not appeal to you.

F

Moves
26 Sep 19

@dj2becker said
It is not surprising in the least that the use of logic does not appeal to you.
Your "use of logic" does not convince me that your conjecture about supernatural things is true.

F

Moves
26 Sep 19
1 edit

@dj2becker said
I totally understand why you would say that and why also why you cannot entertain the notion of the existence of objective absolute truth that is knowable and defendable with logic and reason.
the existence of objective absolute truth that is knowable and defendable with logic and reason

Your attempts to bolster your personal opinions about what you claim are "knowable and defendable" things related to your belief in supernatural causality do not render your religious beliefs "objective".

Moves
26 Sep 19

@fmf said
Your "use of logic" does not convince me that your conjecture about supernatural things is true.
That is not surprising since your worldview allows to to reject anything you want regardless of how logical or illogical it may be.

F

Moves
26 Sep 19

@dj2becker said
That is not surprising since your worldview allows to to reject anything you want regardless of how logical or illogical it may be.
It makes no difference to me how "logical" you think your opinions about supernatural things are.

Moves
26 Sep 19
2 edits

@fmf said
the existence of objective absolute truth that is knowable and defendable with logic and reason

Your attempts to bolster your personal opinions about what you claim are "knowable and defendable" things related to your belief in supernatural causality do not render your religious beliefs "objective".
Unless they happen to be true of course. Since you don’t relate any form of objectivity to the word truth it’s not surprising that truth is ever changing with you and that you will forever be chasing your tail in the proverbial sense of the word.

Moves
26 Sep 19

@fmf said
It makes no difference to me how "logical" you think your opinions about supernatural things are.
Of course Logic makes no difference to someone whose view of truth changes at every turn.

F

Moves
26 Sep 19

@dj2becker said
Unless they happen to be true of course. Since you don’t relate any form of objectivity to the word truth it’s not surprising that truth is ever changing with you and that you will forever be chasing your tail in the proverbial sense of the word.
There can be no "objective" opinions about the unknowable, unprovable, speculative things that constitute your faith.

F

Moves
26 Sep 19

@dj2becker said
Of course Logic makes no difference to someone whose view of truth changes at every turn.
I'm saying your purported "use of logic" does not change your subjective views about "truth" into "objective" ones.

F

Moves
26 Sep 19

@dj2becker said
Chasing my tail? How so?

Moves
26 Sep 19

@fmf said
There can be no "objective" opinions about the unknowable, unprovable, speculative things that constitute your faith.
‘There can be no...’ sounds a lot like an absolute statement.

F

Moves
26 Sep 19

@dj2becker said
‘There can be no...’ sounds a lot like an absolute statement.
All you and I are doing here is exchanging our subjective opinions about supernatural things. 

Moves
26 Sep 19

@fmf said
All you and I are doing here is exchanging our subjective opinions about supernatural things. 
That doesn’t mean one of us can’t be right.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.