Truth- Absolute or Relative?

Truth- Absolute or Relative?

Spirituality

F

Moves
26 Sep 19

@dj2becker said
That doesn’t mean one of us can’t be right.
It doesn't affect me if you claim to be right. It doesn't affect me if you are really, really certain about it. The tenets of your faith are still merely a set of subjective assertions on your part.

Moves
26 Sep 19
2 edits

@fmf said
It doesn't affect me if you claim to be right. It doesn't affect me if you are really, really certain about it. The tenets of your faith are still merely a set of subjective assertions on your part.
‘The truth’ is not affected by you claiming it’s just a set of subjective assertions. If it really is the truth nothing you say can change that it absolute.

F

Moves
26 Sep 19

@dj2becker said
‘The truth’ is not affected by you claiming it’s just a set of subjective assertions. If it really is the truth nothing you say can change that it absolute.
You're entitled to your opinion. But neither of us know the truth with regards to unknowable, unprovable, speculative things pertaining to supernatural matters.

No matter how many times you say things like "If it really is the truth nothing you say can change that it absolute", it does not turn your personal subjective speculative opinions into objective ones.

Moves
26 Sep 19
5 edits

@fmf said
You're entitled to your opinion. But neither of us know the truth with regards to unknowable, unprovable, speculative things pertaining to supernatural matters.

No matter how many times you say things like "If it really is the truth nothing you say can change that it absolute", it does not turn your personal subjective speculative opinions into objective ones.
‘You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.‘ False religion cannot set you free. Did you ever experience this freedom over the power and guilt of sin when you were a Christian?

Do you think freedom is unknowable, unprovable and speculative?

What about the peace of God that surpasses all understanding? Did you ever experience that as a Christian?

F

Moves
26 Sep 19

@dj2becker said
‘You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.‘ False religion cannot set you free. Did you ever experience this freedom over the power and guilt of sin when you were a Christian?

What about the peace of God that surpasses all understanding? Did you ever experience that as a Christian?
Your personal opinions about the "freedom" and "peace" that your religious beliefs give you are entirely subjective.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
26 Sep 19

@dj2becker said

That would require God, all he has had are his opinions nothing more. The only thing that has changed for him is his mind.

F

Moves
27 Sep 19

@kellyjay said
That would require God, all he has had are his opinions nothing more. The only thing that has changed for him is his mind.
You talking about how you 'have' God - or about how I don't 'have' God or how I "require God" - does not transform your subjectivity about this matter into objectivity.

Moves
27 Sep 19

@fmf said
You talking about how you 'have' God - or about how I don't 'have' God or how I "require God" - does not transform your subjectivity about this matter into objectivity.
And neither does you saying that this matter is subjective mean that it’s not true.

F

Moves
27 Sep 19

@dj2becker said
And neither does you saying that this matter is subjective mean that it’s not true.
We are both simply being subjective. Not objective. Subjective.

Moves
27 Sep 19

@fmf said
We are both simply being subjective. Not objective. Subjective.
Is that a fact?

F

Moves
27 Sep 19

@dj2becker said
Is that a fact?
As far as I am concerned, yes. As I said, all you and I are doing is swapping personal opinions about supernatural stuff. It all falls squarely within the realm of subjectivity.

Moves
27 Sep 19
1 edit

@fmf said
As far as I am concerned, yes. As I said, all you and I are doing is swapping personal opinions about supernatural stuff. It all falls squarely within the realm of subjectivity.
A fact is absolute. Now you’re contradicting yourself.

F

Moves
27 Sep 19

@dj2becker said
A fact is absolute. Now you’re contradicting yourself.
It's normal to refer to things we believe strongly, even if they are subjective opinions, as "facts". If you really think I am contradicting myself, then you have either not understood or you are deliberately ignoring everything I have said in this conversation.

Moves
27 Sep 19

@fmf said
It's normal to refer to things we believe strongly, even if they are subjective opinions, as "facts". If you really think I am contradicting myself, then you have either not understood or you are deliberately ignoring everything I have said in this conversation.
Or alternatively you have no idea what a fact is.

F

Moves
27 Sep 19

@dj2becker said
Or alternatively you have no idea what a fact is.
I believe it is a fact that death is the end. You believe it is a fact that there is or can be everlasting life. All we are doing is swapping subjective perspectives. Neither of us can know for sure that the other is wrong. It's a matter of speculation.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.