Spirituality

Starmer is a liar

More in my profile

Moves
26 Apr 16
1 edit

Originally posted by chaney3
Here is where I am right now:

I believe in a Creator, and I believe that Creator is God.....the God from the Old Testament. Despite having numerous doubts and questions about some of things in the OT, and if the character of God is perfectly represented in those writings, my belief in Him has always been there. No matter what has happened in my life, an ...[text shortened]... and forum get a little insight into my spiritual journey. It hasn't been easy to say the least.
Seeking answers in here is akin to looking for a gourmet meal in the local takeaway. It's generally not served. However if you are honest there will be some here who will help you.

Don't worry about knowing everything about God, Jesus the Bible. Just seek him, there is such benefit even in doing that. Anchor yourself temporarily on a few scriptures that make sense to you and hold tight to what God reveals to you.

Jesus is the image of the invisible God, the exact physical representation of his being. In him dwelt the whole godhead. Everything we do, we do in his name. His name is the current name of the invisible God. These are also scriptural sayings. The identity of Jesus Christ is pivotal to the Christian life and experience.

T

Moves
26 Apr 16
8 edits

Here is where I am right now:

I believe in a Creator, and I believe that Creator is God.....the God from the Old Testament. Despite having numerous doubts and questions about some of things in the OT, and if the character of God is perfectly represented in those writings, my belief in Him has always been there. No matter what has happened in my life, an ...[text shortened]... and forum get a little insight into my spiritual journey. It hasn't been easy to say the least.
But not me, my mind wants to make sense of it, when it may be impossible to do so.

Of course you can't make sense of it. The Bible is filled with inconsistencies, discrepancies and outright contradictions. Though most refuse to admit it, they pick and choose the verses and passages that support their beliefs and dismiss those that don't and often do so in a most disingenuous manner.

By and large the teachings of Jesus while He walked the Earth are coherent. Conceptually some of it is quite deep and profound.

If you want to follow Jesus, then do what He says and follow HIS words:

Luke 6
46 “Why do you call Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say?

John 6
63“It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life. 64“But there are some of you who do not believe.”

John 8
31So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, “If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine;

John 14
15“If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.

John 14
23Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him. 24“He who does not love Me does not keep My words...

John 15
10 “If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love

The confusion and nonsense stem from the parts of the Bible other than what Jesus taught while He walked the Earth, so why not dispense with them? Sometimes things seem nonsensical because they are.

c

Moves
27 Apr 16

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
[b] But not me, my mind wants to make sense of it, when it may be impossible to do so.

Of course you can't make sense of it. The Bible is filled with inconsistencies, discrepancies and outright contradictions. Though most refuse to admit it, they pick and choose the verses and passages that support their beliefs and dismiss those that don't and oft ...[text shortened]... ed the Earth, so why not dispense with them? Sometimes things seem nonsensical because they are.[/b]
Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I agree with everything in your post, and it's the reason for the thread. The more I read the posts in this forum, and speak with others....the more I realize that from the same Bible, and verses....Christians have too many different versions of the same person in Jesus, and what He has taught.

Right now, I am still sticking with the Jesus from my youth, because He makes sense to me.

T

Moves
27 Apr 16

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I agree with everything in your post, and it's the reason for the thread. The more I read the posts in this forum, and speak with others....the more I realize that from the same Bible, and verses....Christians have too many different versions of the same person in Jesus, and what He has taught.

Right now, I am still sticking with the Jesus from my youth, because He makes sense to me.
Thanks for responding.

Perhaps the most prevalent theme in what Jesus taught while He walked the Earth, is the importance of His words: Understanding, believing, following and KEEPING the words He spoke while He walked the Earth. Not sure if "the Jesus from [your] youth" entails that, but reading the words He spoke while He walked the Earth is a good place to start.

c

Moves
27 Apr 16

Thanks for responding.

Perhaps the most prevalent theme in what Jesus taught while He walked the Earth, is the importance of His words: Understanding, believing, following and KEEPING the words He spoke while He walked the Earth. Not sure if "the Jesus from [your] youth" entails that, but reading the words He spoke while He walked the Earth is a good place to start.
Well, I'm pretty sure that somewhere in His words, He at least would appreciate it if we believed in Him? That's why I am spending some time in the other thread.

T

Moves
27 Apr 16

Well, I'm pretty sure that somewhere in His words, He at least would appreciate it if we believed in Him? That's why I am spending some time in the other thread.
Depends on what you mean by "believe in Him". Jesus wants His followers to believe in His words, so that they will follow His words and not only follow His words but KEEP His words which entails no longer committing sin.

c

Moves
27 Apr 16

Depends on what you mean by "believe in Him". Jesus wants His followers to believe in His words, so that they will follow His words and not only follow His words but KEEP His words which entails no longer committing sin.
Your post is exactly what I asked in my OP.

T

Moves
28 Apr 16

Your post is exactly what I asked in my OP.
Yes it is. It's also the only explanation of the teachings of Jesus while He walked the Earth that holds up under the light of Truth.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
28 Apr 16

Yes it is. It's also the only explanation of the teachings of Jesus while He walked the Earth that holds up under the light of Truth.
Great, a Rajk acolyte.

Let us know when you come back from the fringe.

F

Moves
28 Apr 16

Originally posted by Suzianne
Great, a Rajk acolyte.

Let us know when you come back from the fringe.
Do you think your recourse to argumentum ad populum is valid and effective when you seek to suggest that your beliefs are more credible than Rajk999's beliefs?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
28 Apr 16

Originally posted by FMF
Do you think your recourse to argumentum ad populum is valid and effective when you seek to suggest that your beliefs are more credible than Rajk999's beliefs?
Do you think you're making points with someone, somewhere by implying that I'm "seeking to suggest" something? You'd be a lot more credible if you'd just say what you mean, without all the "mamby-pamby"-ism.

F

Moves
28 Apr 16

Originally posted by Suzianne
Do you think you're making points with someone, somewhere by implying that I'm "seeking to suggest" something? You'd be a lot more credible if you'd just say what you mean, without all the "mamby-pamby"-ism.
The question was point blank and straight to the point. Rather than engage what had been said, you instead said "Let us know when you come back from the fringe" which is clearly a kind of argument ad populum - with perhaps a bit of ad hominem thrown in for good measure. Does saying such things make you think that your beliefs are more credibly articulated than Rajk999's? It doesn't to me. It smacks of you shying away from genuine discussion.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
28 Apr 16

If not sinning and and being a "good" person, is all that is needed to get to heaven, then what was God's purpose of sending Christ? And why did he have to suffer and die.
This could have been accomplished without him, could it not?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
28 Apr 16
1 edit

Originally posted by checkbaiter
If not sinning and and being a "good" person, is all that is needed to get to heaven, then what was God's purpose of sending Christ? And why did he have to suffer and die.
This could have been accomplished without him, could it not?
That is an apparent paradox that you will have to figure out for yourself. And your continued cherry picking and deceiving yourself would not help you when you face Jesus Christ.

The bible says this:

Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid. For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. (Galatians 2:16-20 KJV-BRG)

Christians like myself accept the whole thing and I am able to reconcile any apparent contradictions.

Those like you however accept part of this passage... the part that Christians are justified by faith in Christ. I have never heard you quote the part in bold above. In fact you speak against such a doctrine - that a Christian MUST avoid sin and that a Christian MUST live as Christ lived as this is NECESSARY for eternal life. There are many many such statements by Paul to all of the churches.

Instead of accepting these passages you go to great lengths to try in vain to explain them away.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
28 Apr 16

Originally posted by Rajk999
That is an apparent paradox that you will have to figure out for yourself. And your continued cherry picking and deceiving yourself would not help you when you face Jesus Christ.

The bible says this:

[i]Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be ...[text shortened]... Instead of accepting these passages you go to great lengths to try in vain to explain them away.
And I think you are a fool, and the question was not addressed to you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.