Immunity From Timeout While On Vacation

Immunity From Timeout While On Vacation

General

J
Trainee Party Animal

Moves
30 Aug 06

I started a site ideas thread without realising this one was already going on. This really works a treat on another site (ICCF). Obviously here we have clan games and sieges and other stuff, but I cannot see there being any complications whatsoever.

30 days is only 30 days, enough to have a holiday, but not enough to annoy everyone, I would have thought. It would make people think about time management.

s
Don't Like It Leave

Walking the earth.

Moves
30 Aug 06

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
30 Aug 06

Originally posted by Moldy Crow
Why is it always "procrastination", or "wasting time"? I've had several business trips to the hinterlands where pc access was limited or nonexistant, and a family emergency involving travel for a week.
well, I've gone to timebank once for being offline, and maybe dozens of times for procrastinating, wasting time or just not feeling like playing. no timeouts so far, although a couple have been a matter of hours/minutes. there probably are people who have a lot of offline periods during the year, but not many I think.

do you use 28 day timebanks regularly? did you vote for preferred tournament TB's of 28 days? just curious, because I've been wondering if people having offline periods actually took any precautions for it.

G
Whale watching

33°36'S 26°53'E

Moves
30 Aug 06

The current timebank system is more than sufficient for managing vacations. Even on vacation, anywhere in the world, there is access to the internet, from your hotel suite, your cellphone, or an internet cafe.

I have been on several holidays of 2-3 weeks since I began playing here and have not been close to being timed-out. (The only time I have been timed out was in a 1/0 tournament)

I've no great objection to the proposed method provided it is implemented sensibly, but I think that having it in addition to the current timebank system is a complete overkill. This is going to become an incredibly painful place to play online chess.

I made a very well supported proposal on the site idea forum about a method of increasing timebanks (rewarding faster play etc) that would allowed players to manage holidays in a very sensible manner. But like so many good suggestions in the Site Ideas forum that was never put to a vote. Instead we have abortions like this.

"Would you be happy if.... " What kind of unbiased question starts like that?

Ah well... 🙄

Your Eminence

Scunthorpe

Moves
30 Aug 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Gatecrasher
The current timebank system is more than sufficient for managing vacations. Even on vacation, anywhere in the world, there is access to the internet, from your hotel suite, your cellphone, or an internet cafe.

I have been on several holidays of 2-3 weeks since I began playing here and have not been close to being timed-out. (The only time I have been Would you be happy if.... " What kind of unbiased question starts like that?

Ah well... 🙄
But some of us are not hard-wired into our computers like you are. Jesus, you're like a Borg or something with this site.

Edit- Btw-Re: All this talk from everyone about not allowing flag TO imunity for reasons like; it would slow things down too much, it wouldn't be good for the site; or any crap loosely infering the intgrety of the game would be comprimised - I'm not buying. If you changed the rules to something like "Go ahead and TO someone under the vacation flag, but you'll get no rating points for it", you'd see an almost instant stop in skull collections. People are doing this for cheap rating points, and nothing else.

G
Whale watching

33°36'S 26°53'E

Moves
30 Aug 06

But some of us are not hard-wired into our computers like you are. Jesus, you're like a Borg or something with this site.
Jesus? Bjorn Borg? I don't even have long hair... 😉

I
Dadohalic

Finger tip talking.

Moves
30 Aug 06

Edit- If you changed the rules to something like "Go ahead and TO someone under the vacation flag, but you'll get no rating points for it",
Should this ever come to be put to a vote.

I vote Yes.

Your Eminence

Scunthorpe

Moves
30 Aug 06

Jesus? Bjorn Borg? I don't even have long hair... 😉
A Star Trek borg. Like Terry Ryan without the hooters.

s

Moves
30 Aug 06

I have been on several holidays of 2-3 weeks since I began playing here and have not been close to being timed-out. (The only time I have been ...[text shortened]... Would you be happy if.... " What kind of unbiased question starts like that?

Ah well... 🙄
let me rephrase

I'm alright Jack. I only holiday in concrete.

I've never been timed out, oh, yes I have.

I've no problem with the vote. But it's going to make life very difficult.

I've a better idea. But nobody liked it.

eh?

G
Whale watching

33°36'S 26°53'E

Moves
30 Aug 06
2 edits

Originally posted by snowinscotland
let me rephrase

I'm alright Jack. I only holiday in concrete.

I've never been timed out, oh, yes I have.

I've no problem with the vote. But it's going to make life very difficult.

I've a better idea. But nobody liked it.

eh?
😀 Had to rec that. Very good!

I see now how confused I am. I'm going to change my vote to "Yes".

Chris, on the next vote can the options be 8 weeks, 7 weeks, 6 weeks, 5 weeks, 4 weeks, 3 weeks, 2 weeks, 1 week, and 0 weeks?

d

Moves
30 Aug 06

I suppose you could say Borg's dominance at Wimbledon was Christ-like. You might go to hell for it, but you could definitely say it.

SS

Moves
30 Aug 06
1 edit

Your Eminence

Scunthorpe

Moves
30 Aug 06

Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
This sort of change will cause more annoyance than the current tried and tested system and might drive some poeple away from the site.
I'll chip in for gas.

s

Moves
30 Aug 06
3 edits

Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
Things were fine with the vacation system the way it was, 2 players could decide on a 1,0, 3,7, 7,7, 21,28 game etc etc.. Both players consented to it. I don't give my consent to my opponent going on vacation for a month whilst a Queen down in my game. This sort of change will cause more annoyance than the current tried and tested system and might drive some poeple away from the site.
... as in it didn't count for anything?

I like reasonable games, ie 3/7, I am not going to put up 3/21 'just in case this game last until my holiday' on every game - it looks like I'm going to be slow.....

If you don't like waiting, why not add the option to bin the game?

...will his majesty consent to skulling me if I was a Queen Up?

... petrol money.... LOL

SS

Moves
30 Aug 06

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.