My campaign to become a moderator

My campaign to become a moderator

General

F

Moves
29 May 22

@moonbus said

[2] I have the best interests of the website at heart.

I do not believe that.
OK, duly noted. Thank you.

F

Moves
29 May 22

@moonbus said

[3] I will stop posting on the forums aside from word games and sharing music.

O, what a grand gesture, what a stupendous sacrifice you are willing to bear to serve this site with your ... um .... selflessness.
It wouldn't be a "gesture". Nor would be done out of "selflessness". It would just be a practical thing to do.

F

Moves
29 May 22

@moonbus said
You can stop posting any time you want; in fact, if you want your 'candidature' to be taken seriously, why not stop posting right now, today, and remain silent until site admin anoints you?
There's no need for me to stop posting yet. But thanks for the suggestion.

F

Moves
29 May 22

@great-big-stees said
I am not normally a negative kinda person but I sense…well… self interest.🤔
OK, I understand what you mean. I am disappointed, but I understand.

F

Moves
29 May 22

@fmf said
When it comes to deleting posts, I will err on the side of lightness of touch.
For example, I think the recent banning of Executioner Brand ~ after many posts had to be deleted ~ and after at least two shorter bans had little or no effect ~ was the correct call.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
29 May 22
1 edit

@moonbus said
Apparently you think the post of moderator is something like a job you apply for by presenting your list of qualifications or a cv. Well then, let's look at your 'qualifications', shall we?

[1] I am smart and fair-minded and a forum veteran.

This is actually three claims which need to be addressed separately:

You claim to be smart. You think other people h ...[text shortened]... says in the Republic, the only people who should be in power are those who don't want to be.
I don't always agree with Moon but on this one I think you hit the nail square on the head.

If you ran for Moderator I know I would give you my support and Vote. I don't think you would NOT let any bias you may have with anyone influence you in any way.

A big thumb up on all points you made.

-VR

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
29 May 22

@fmf said
I think I am smart enough to do the job and that plenty of other people are too.
I am going to give you the benefit of big time doubt of your sincerity.

Who would you consider other people smart enough and could control any bias they may have to be a Moderator?

-VR

F

Moves
29 May 22

@moonbus said
The best interest of this web site consists in keeping people on board and renewing their subscriptions; attracting new people to sign up for subscriptions; and offering advertizers server stats how many 'hits' the site generates -- those are the means by which revenue is generated.
If what you are getting at is that fair, swift and consistent moderation of the forums is important, then we agree.

Über-Nerd

Moves
29 May 22

@fmf said
There's no need for me to stop posting yet. But thanks for the suggestion.
Moderator or not, I would hope you would continue to put hard questions to biblical literalists and Evangelicals over at SF; it's what you do best.

Über-Nerd

Moves
29 May 22

@fmf said
I want to emulate and augment them.
Do you have reason to believe that the moderators need additional personnel, specifically at this time, to emulate and augment their activities?

F

Moves
29 May 22

@moonbus said
Do you have reason to believe that the moderators need additional personnel, specifically at this time, to emulate and augment their activities?
I believe I do, yes. But I am not at liberty to divulge the information that I have.

Über-Nerd

Moves
29 May 22

@very-rusty said
I don't always agree with Moon but on this one I think you hit the nail square on the head.

If you ran for Moderator I know I would give you my support and Vote. I don't think you would NOT let any bias you may have with anyone influence you in any way.

A big thumb up on all points you made.

-VR
Thank you for your note of confidence.

I do not know who the moderators are, how many there are or how they got to be moderators. I rather suspect that one does not campaign to become one and I certainly would not presume to do so.

If there should ever be a vacancy on the bench, I trust site admin to fill it in due course by means which do not concern me.

F

Moves
29 May 22

@moonbus said
Moderator or not, I would hope you would continue to put hard questions to biblical literalists and Evangelicals over at SF; it's what you do best.
Well, thank you. Nevertheless, I would cease doing that ~ it's a Sisyphean task, anyway, if I may say so ~ if I were a moderator.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
29 May 22
1 edit

@moonbus said
Thank you for your note of confidence.

I do not know who the moderators are, how many there are or how they got to be moderators. I rather suspect that one does not campaign to become one and I certainly would not presume to do so.

If there should ever be a vacancy on the bench, I trust site admin to fill it in due course by means which do not concern me.
So are you saying you wouldn't be interested? That is a shame because I think you'd make a good Moderator and are well respected on the site by most people.

EDIT: Or are you leaving the door open to the idea?

-VR

Über-Nerd

Moves
29 May 22

@fmf said
I believe I do, yes. But I am not at liberty to divulge the information that I have.
I see. Well, so be it. I am not privy to any such information. However, your "campaign" and presentation of a list of qualifications reminds me of @sonship's post over at SF wherein he asked people to rate him as a teacher compared to the Apostle Paul. It looks presumptuous.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.