RHP Prose Competition

RHP Prose Competition

General

Moves
03 Jun 19
4 edits

@wolfgang59: My goodness! You must have a superhuman renal system. 😉

@Ghost-of-a-Duke: Sir, I believe I have recently seen your pinkie in the air -- spotted in the airspace over Atlanta -- in case it has wandered without your consent.

@Ponderable and others: Thank you for this opportunity and the encouragement. Recent family matters have left me a little subdued, especially re: the particular subject matter of the competition, but on the other hand I have been stimulated to look at mind-mapping/concept-mapping apps for exploring notions (one could also resort to bubble-mapping on paper, of course), as well as some Plot Genie books from decades past by Wycliffe A. Hill and another book on writing photoplays by the screenwriter Anita Loos, which has additional introductory material by William Martell. I'm probably over-preparing, aren't I? 😉 Don't worry, though -- I am also scattered and lazy.

I found an 800-word story by R. J. Ellory on the internet, which gives me an idea of what 800 words looks like "on the page" so to speak. I have both Notepad++ and VSCode (with a nice color theme) installed.

The three keywords to be included might be somewhat of a challenge -- I wish it had been something like "a food item, an animal, an occupation" -- but that's what creative limitations are for, eh what?

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
04 Jun 19

@ghost-of-a-duke said
😲

You drink tea out of a mug?!?
Time to go to your ‘happy place’ ghost

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
04 Jun 19

@divegeester said
Perhaps he’s a builder?
More chance of seeing his bum than his mug then.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
04 Jun 19

I get at least one mug every Christmas and Birthday but no one ever gets me a nice cup, Royal Doulton would be nice, no pressure.

Moves
04 Jun 19

@kevcvs57 said
Time to go to your ‘happy place’ ghost
Agreed sir. Am heading to Buckingham Palace as I type.

Moves
04 Jun 19

@caesar-salad said

The three keywords to be included might be somewhat of a challenge -- I wish it had been something like "a food item, an animal, an occupation" -- but that's what creative limitations are for, eh what?
Instead of squeezing the 3 words awkwardly into an unrelated story, allow the 3 words to 'write the story'. That way the random nature of the words are less 'limitation' and more 'inspiration.'

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
04 Jun 19

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Agreed sir. Am heading to Buckingham Palace as I type.
Ahh I think we may have shared a train carriage on more than one occasion.

Moves
04 Jun 19

@kevcvs57 said
Ahh I think we may have shared a train carriage on more than one occasion.
Ah, were you the chap who stamped my ticket?

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
04 Jun 19

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Ah, were you the chap who stamped my ticket?
Yes in fact I was that man, and I meant to say how impressive it was that you never spilt even a drop your tea.

Moves
04 Jun 19

@kevcvs57 said
Yes in fact I was that man, and I meant to say how impressive it was that you never spilt even a drop your tea.
Was he the phantom who, at twilight, mentioned that he didn't believe in superstition?

Gothenburg

Moves
04 Jun 19
1 edit

@great-big-stees said
Was he the phantom who, at twilight, mentioned that he didn't believe in superstition?
The very man - now get on with your writing. 🙂

Moves
04 Jun 19
1 edit

@torunn said
The very man - now get on with your writing. 🙂
What are you...my mother? I'll damn well get to it when I'm ready. 😠 😉

Edit: Hey I may well have stumbled on a story with my last response. Gotta go while the concept is still fresh in my mind. 😛

Gothenburg

Moves
04 Jun 19

@great-big-stees said
What are you...my mother? I'll damn well get to it when I'm ready. 😠 😉
Do as you please. 🙂

Moves
04 Jun 19

@torunn said
Do as you please. 🙂
I always do. 😲

Gothenburg

Moves
04 Jun 19

@great-big-stees said
I always do. 😲
I sort of figured that. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.