The RHP Tavern on the Board is open

The RHP Tavern on the Board is open

General

Starmer is a liar

More in my profile

Moves
29 Jul 23

@torunn said
I agree with you that sales techniques are more sophisticated, but I wouldn't hold them for more honest. 🙂 But I might add that a good deal takes two satisfied parties - seller and buyer.
If a customer makes a different, more informed buying decision then they will be more satisfied and feel they have better values for their money. I suppose that could be interpreted as more honest sale, but it’s not really about honesty.

Gothenburg

Moves
29 Jul 23
1 edit

@divegeester said
If a customer makes a different, more informed buying decision then they will be more satisfied and feel they have better values for their money. I suppose that could be interpreted as more honest sale, but it’s not really about honesty.
I grew up in a world where honesty was taken for granted, you closed a deal by shaking hands. It is far from the world I observe today. And it's about generosity: that person wants to see me happy, maybe meet me half-way. I just don't want to be manipulated.

Edit: I'm one of those customers who have a hard time making up my mind - even entering the shop is a tough decision. I need to be met by a person who can encourage me that what I choose is a good decision. It's hardly ever about money.

Starmer is a liar

More in my profile

Moves
29 Jul 23

@torunn said
I just don't want to be manipulated.
Do you think that the Harry Selfridge trope “the customer is always right” is manipulative?

Gothenburg

Moves
29 Jul 23

@divegeester said
Do you think that the Harry Selfridge trope “the customer is always right” is manipulative?
No, assuming he knows that he sells products of good quality (which I assume) then I would feel safe.

Gothenburg

Moves
29 Jul 23

@torunn said
No, assuming he knows that he sells products of good quality (which I assume) then I would feel safe.
I think, as a good salesman you would soon figure that out. 🙂

Starmer is a liar

More in my profile

Moves
29 Jul 23

@torunn said
But you think the sales technique I described is manipulative?

Gothenburg

Moves
29 Jul 23
1 edit

@divegeester said
But you think the sales technique I described is manipulative?
Assuming you sell quality products, then you would probably convince me to buy by saying: "Whichever product you choose is the right choice for you." And I would feel happy knowing I didn't make a bad choice.

Starmer is a liar

More in my profile

Moves
29 Jul 23
1 edit

@torunn said
Assuming you sell quality products, then you would probably convince me to buy by saying: "Whichever product you choose is the right choice for you." And I would feel happy knowing I didn't make a bad choice.
I’m not sure what it is you feel is “manipulative”?

I think the idea that the customer is always right is wrong and is manipulative, for the reasons I’ve given.

Here’s a few others from Forbes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/theyec/2019/05/23/the-customer-is-not-always-right-here-are-five-reasons-why/

Gothenburg

Moves
29 Jul 23
1 edit

@divegeester said
I’m not sure what it is you feel is “manipulative”?

I think the idea that the customer is always right is wrong and is manipulative, for the reasons I’ve given.

Here’s a few others from Forbes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/theyec/2019/05/23/the-customer-is-not-always-right-here-are-five-reasons-why/
Thank you, interesting points to consider. I think I forgot there are different kinds of customers. I believe in mutual trust but it may be hard to achieve.

Gothenburg

Moves
29 Jul 23

@torunn said
Thank you, interesting points to consider. I think I forgot there are different kinds of customers. I believe in mutual trust but it may be hard to achieve.
The Tavern only has satisfied customers. 🙂

Moves
29 Jul 23

@torunn said
The Tavern only has satisfied customers. 🙂
Indeed. Any unsatisfied customers are ejected.😲😉

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
29 Jul 23

@Great-Big-Stees

Bang on, Stees. How ya been, and how's the golf game?

Torunn, two here, please.

Gothenburg

Moves
29 Jul 23
1 edit

@earl-of-trumps said
@Great-Big-Stees

Two what please? That beer thing and some cheese-its?

Starmer is a liar

More in my profile

Moves
29 Jul 23

@earl-of-trumps said
@Great-Big-Stees

I’m still here Trump.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
30 Jul 23

@torunn said
Two what please? That beer thing and some cheese-its?
Oh, Torunn, "Two here" is parlance for - one for me and one for my buddy, Stees.
And you shouldn't have to ask what drinks, you are supposed to know, as we are regulars here, <wink>

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.