"an ancient dilemma..."

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
26 Jun 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Penguin
Googlefudge, being the one not making the extra-ordinary claim, does not need to have anything really.

--- Penguin
True.

However as it happens I have available the summed knowledge and wisdom
gained through science, reason, whit and imagination that makes up our
societies immense extelligence.

We have at our finger tips immense and ever growing stores of knowledge.
More than anything this is our unique and defining characteristic as a species.
One I embrace, and Grampy does not.

I don't need to have anything to reject an unsubstantiated extraordinary claim...
That doesn't mean I don't have anything.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
26 Jun 13

"an ancient dilemma..."

Let's say there's an ancient dilemma facing us all in present time. If there is an alive and powerful, eternal entity who/which has offered each of us the unearned and undeserved gift of permanent relationship which we individually reject [and repeatedly reject], isn't it reasonable to expect eternal separation as the only viable alternative? Your comments. (op)

P

Moves
26 Jun 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
[b]"an ancient dilemma..."

Let's say there's an ancient dilemma facing us all in present time. If there is an alive and powerful, eternal entity who/which has offered each of us the unearned and undeserved gift of permanent relationship which we individually reject [and repeatedly reject], isn't it reasonable to expect eternal separation as the only viable alternative? Your comments. (op)[/b]
No, the possibilities here are clearly:

1. A permanent relationship
2. A temporary relationship
3. Multiple temporary relationships
4. A permanent separation

Options 3 or 4 would be most appealing to me, assuming option 4 consists of a simple lack of existence (as all evidence suggests is the reality). As has been pointed out, option 1 is highly likely to be a form of purgatory.

The simple existence of such an ultimatum as you describe (I.e. only options 1 and 4) would indicate to me that the being proposing it is needlessly restrictive.

And we have no evidence that such a proposal or being does in fact exist.

--- Penguin.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
26 Jun 13

Options 3 or 4 would be most appealing to me, assuming option 4 consists of a simple lack of existence (as all evidence suggests is the reality). As has been pointed out, option 1 is highly lik ...[text shortened]... ve.

And we have no evidence that such a proposal or being does in fact exist.

--- Penguin.
... your source or authority?

P

Moves
26 Jun 13

[b]"an ancient dilemma..."

Let's say there's an ancient dilemma facing us all in present time. If there is an alive and powerful, eternal entity who/which has offered each of us the unearned and undeserved gift of permanent relationship which we individually reject [and repeatedly reject], isn't it reasonable to expect eternal separation as the only viable alternative? Your comments. (gb)[/b]
There are so many "gods" with eternal gifts. How do you decide which is the right god to worship? If this Judeo/Christian god actually existed as described in the Bible, it is so egotistical, that I cannot beleive It would not be reappearing to modern man, full blown. This god is portrayed as demanding not just being a good person and following Its laws, but that the human must worship It too. This just strikes me as aburd and full of human egotism that has been foisted on "god".

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
26 Jun 13

Originally posted by Phranny
There are so many "gods" with eternal gifts. How do you decide which is the right god to worship? If this Judeo/Christian god actually existed as described in the Bible, it is so egotistical, that I cannot beleive It would not be reappearing to modern man, full blown. This god is portrayed as demanding not just being a good person and following Its laws, ...[text shortened]... oo. This just strikes me as aburd and full of human egotism that has been foisted on "god".
"There are so many "gods" with eternal gifts. How do you decide which is the right god to worship?" (Phranny)

... and which do you worship? (gb)

P

Moves
26 Jun 13

... your source or authority?
Ok, I will rephrase it to emphasize the important point in my post:
---------------------------------------------------

Options 3 or 4 would be most appealing to me, assuming option 4 consists of a simple lack of existence (as all evidence i have seen suggests to me is the reality).

Do you disagree that there must in fact be those 4 possibilities?

--- Penguin.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
26 Jun 13
1 edit

Ok, I will rephrase it to emphasize the important point in my post:

[b]1. A permanent relationship

Options 3 or 4 would be most appealing to me, assuming option 4 ...[text shortened]... -----------

Do you disagree that there must in fact be those 4 possibilities?

--- Penguin.[/b]
Please flesh out the hypotheticals, specifically to clarifying how and where
"worship' of some person, place, thing or nothing fits in. Thanks. -Bob

Postscript: René worshipped himself.

P

Moves
27 Jun 13

Please flesh out the hypotheticals, specifically to clarifying how and where
"worship' of some person, place, thing or nothing fits in. Thanks. -Bob

Postscript: René worshipped himself.
Sorry, the only hypothetical we are discussing is your O.P. proposing that the gift of an eternal relationship has been offered and asserting that the only logical alternative is eternal separation.

I am simply pointing out that logically there are two other possible alternatives: a single temporary relationship and multiple temporary relationships. I want to know why you think those are not logical possibilities.

'Worship' has nothing whatsoever to do with this. We are talking about maths and logic here. If you want the hypothetical fleshed out, you will have to do it since it is your hypothetical.

--- Penguin.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
27 Jun 13

Sorry, the only hypothetical we are discussing is your O.P. proposing that the gift of an eternal relationship has been offered and asserting that the only logical alternative is eternal separation.

I am simply pointing out that logically there are two other possible alternatives: a single temporary relationship and multiple temporary relationships. I wan ...[text shortened]... ypothetical fleshed out, you will have to do it since it is your hypothetical.

--- Penguin.
One day [13.06.27-13.06.27+] there will be a cessation of your brain waves; that moment the physical death of your body will occur. Where will you [your unique/immaterial being; distinct personality; and vast storage of memories] go? --- Bob

Moves
27 Jun 13

One day [13.06.27-13.06.27+] there will be a cessation of your brain waves; that moment the physical death of your body will occur. Where will you [your unique/immaterial being; distinct personality; and vast storage of memories] go? --- Bob
You assume the existence of a "unique/immaterial being".

You are assuming dualism.

From the perspective of non-dualists (and science) no such "immaterial being" exists.

The non-dualist sees your mind, your thoughts and memories, as functions of your physical brain.

And so in the same way that when a computer hard-drive is physically destroyed, destroying the data contained on it... When you die, the structures of your brain break down, destroying the data (your memories and personality) they once held.

They do not "go" anywhere. They just cease to exist.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
27 Jun 13
1 edit

Originally posted by googlefudge
You assume the existence of a "unique/immaterial being".

You are assuming dualism.

From the perspective of non-dualists (and science) no such "immaterial being" exists.

The non-dualist sees your mind, your thoughts and memories, as functions of your physical brain.

And so in the same way that when a computer hard-drive is physically destroyed ...[text shortened]... s and personality) they once held.

They do not "go" anywhere. They just cease to exist.
"They do not "go" anywhere. They just cease to exist." (googlefudge )

All of the 'evolutionary process' leads to a colossal waste of nothingness?

Moves
27 Jun 13

[b]"They do not "go" anywhere. They just cease to exist." (googlefudge )

All of the 'evolutionary process' leads to a colossal waste of nothingness?[/b]
I don't understand the question.

Evolution is a natural process by which living things change and adapt to their environment over successive generations due to changes in frequency of genes in a population due to natural selection.

It has no purpose, no direction, no goal.

In the same way that gravity leads to the formation of stars and star systems from clouds of gas simply by pulling on stuff with no purpose or intent.

Also, what is a waste? in what context?

Considering a persons life ending as a waste is a subjective human feeling.
And has nothing to do with the non-sentient and uncaring laws of physics that govern our universe.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
27 Jun 13

Originally posted by googlefudge
I don't understand the question.

Evolution is a natural process by which living things change and adapt to their environment over successive generations due to changes in frequency of genes in a population due to natural selection.

In the same way that gravity leads to the formation of stars and star sys ...[text shortened]... has nothing to do with the non-sentient and uncaring laws of physics that govern our universe.
"Evolution is a natural process by which living things change and adapt to their environment over successive generations due to changes in frequency of genes in a population due to natural selection"

.... toward what end, penultimate and/or ultimate purpose?

Moves
27 Jun 13

"Evolution is a natural process by which living things change and adapt to their environment over successive generations due to changes in frequency of genes in a population due to natural selection"

.... toward what end, penultimate and/or ultimate purpose?
Did you actually read my post? I mean at all??

"Evolution is a natural process by which living things change and adapt to their environment over successive generations due to changes in frequency of genes in a population due to natural selection.

In the same way that gravity leads to the formation of stars and star systems from clouds of gas simply by pulling on stuff with no purpose or intent.
"

I am not sure how I could be clearer than that... But here goes.

The laws of physics, evolution, the natural processes of the universe...

HAVE NO PURPOSE, GOAL, OR INTENTIONS... ultimate or otherwise.

Let me explain evolution to you as you evidently do not get it.

You have some population of living things. (all one species)

This population is made up of individuals with a range of characteristics determined by their genes.

Those that successfully reproduce pass on those genes to the next generation.

Those that fail to reproduce don't pass on their genes to the next generation.

Those individuals who's characteristics happen to be better (even very slightly) suited to the local environment (including dealing with other species) will have a higher chance of reproducing and passing on their genes to the next generation.

Over time (successive generations) this leads to a greater frequency in the population of genes that give beneficial characteristics. Thus more individuals in the population will have those characteristics that are better suited to the environment and few individuals with characteristics that are less suited to the environment.

Every so often mistakes are made when copying and passing on the genes.
This introduces new characteristics not previously present.
These characteristics will compete with the older ones and those that are more beneficial will become more common and those that are less successful will become less common (or die out).

This continues until such a time as there are no reproducing life forms.

As you can see there is no goal, or purpose, or planning, or intent, or direction.

Evolution is a non-sentient and uncaring process that occurs to any and all known life forms.