"an ancient dilemma..."

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
30 Jun 13

Originally posted by twhitehead
And your point is?
You won't discuss things because they are not relevant to the eternal destiny of my soul? If so, then why bother starting the conversations?
... pointless, you're hear to pontificate philosophical musings (not give a fair shake to any other points of view).

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
30 Jun 13

Originally posted by josephw
The only viable alternative to separation is to force the rejector to have eternal life.

That way they could live with aging and disease and sin forever, and maybe then they would ask nicely to be forgiven.
"The only viable alternative to separation is to force the rejector to have eternal life."

... which since God's a Gentleman, He's incapable of doing.

P

Moves
01 Jul 13
2 edits

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
"What is the difference between a horizontal relationship in time and a vertical one?" (--- Penguin)

* One is temporary, transient, finite and temporal: [o---/] and leaves the ultimate questions unanswered: ¿

* One is permanent, infinite/spiritual: ) [o | ( o----> and answers the ultimate questions emphatically: !!!
Interesting use of the terms 'vertical' and 'horizontal'.

The multiple relationships option I proposed still results in an infinite amount of time spent in relationship with this being. How is that unable to answer the questions that you suggest are answered by the 'permanent' relationship and what stops those relationships from being 'spiritual'? They could of course each be Graham's Number of years long.

Also, the OP made no mention of any logical requirement for a relationship to be 'spiritual' (whatever that means) or to answer any questions. It just suggested and offer of 'permanently with' and said the only other option was 'permanently without'

You have still said nothing that negates the possibility of a single or multiple temporary relationships.

--- Penguin.

P

Moves
02 Jul 13

GB, do I take your silence as an acceptance that there is actually no reason to expect that the only viable alternative to your hypothetical offer is eternal separation?

--- Penguin.

Moves
02 Jul 13

Originally posted by Penguin
GB, do I take your silence as an acceptance that there is actually no reason to expect that the only viable alternative to your hypothetical offer is eternal separation?

--- Penguin.
I would say yes...

But bump for gb to answer this.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
04 Jul 13

Interesting use of the terms 'vertical' and 'horizontal'.

The multiple relationships option I proposed still results in an infinite amount of time spent in relationship with this being. How is that unable to answer the questions that you suggest are answered by the 'permanent' relationship and what stops those relationships from being 'spiritual'? They co ...[text shortened]... the possibility of a single or multiple temporary relationships.

--- Penguin.
"You have still said nothing that negates the possibility of a single or multiple temporary relationships." --- Penguin.

"Eternity Past) [o-------------- o, o, o, o, o, o etc. = Many Horizontal Relationships in Time]

Eternity Past) [o--------------------------------o|o = One Vertical Relationship in Time and (Eternity Future......" -gb

"multiple temporary relationships": of course. And the option of one permanent relationship. -gb

Moves
04 Jul 13

"You have still said nothing that negates the possibility of a single or multiple temporary relationships." --- Penguin.

"Eternity Past) [o-------------- o, o, o, o, o, o etc. = [b]Many
Horizontal Relationships in Time]

Eternity Past) [o--------------------------------o|o = One Vertical Relationship in Time and (Eternity Future......" -gb

" ...[text shortened]... ple temporary relationships": of course. And the option of one permanent relationship. -gb[/b]
No.

No riddles.

Answer in plain and clear English using actual words and complete sentences.

P

Moves
04 Jul 13

"Eternity Past) [o-------------- o, o, o, o, o, o etc. = [b]Many
Horizontal Relationships in Time]

" ...[text shortened]... ple temporary relationships": of course. And the option of one permanent relationship. -gb[/b]
As Googlefudge says, clear english using words and sentences. What you have posted there is indecipherable.

I think you might be accepting that multiple temporary relationships is a logical option but I could easily be wrong. I have no idea whether you are agreeing that a single temporary relationship is a logical option.

If you are disagreeing that either of these is a logical option, you have failed to explain why.

--- Penguin.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
04 Jul 13

Originally posted by googlefudge
No.

No riddles.

Answer in plain and clear English using actual words and complete sentences.
Any cerebrally functioning human being of sound mind may make many friends during the course of a lifetime. Of these, some will be loved in different categories and with varying intensities. All temporal relationships are of finite length.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
04 Jul 13

As Googlefudge says, clear english using words and sentences. What you have posted there is indecipherable.

I think you might be accepting that multiple temporary relationships is a logical option but I could easily be wrong. I have no idea whether you are agreeing that a single temporary relationship is a logical option.

If you are disagreeing that either of these is a logical option, you have failed to explain why.

--- Penguin.
Penguin, do you love any other Penguins?

Moves
04 Jul 13

Any cerebrally functioning human being of sound mind may make many friends during the course of a lifetime. Of these, some will be loved in different categories and with varying intensities. All temporal relationships are of finite length.
And?

That doesn't answer the question.

You're basically saying that temporary relationships are finite.

Which is a tautology.

And you can't even manage to say that clearly.

Also, I again think you mean Temporary rather than Temporal.

Temporal is as I said a word seldom if ever used outside of Star Trek
technobabble or New Age Nonsense.

And it generally means something like "Having to do with, or existing
in time".

Which means that your sentence "All temporal relationships are of finite length."
is basically saying that "All relationships with a time dimension are finite."

Which may or may not be true (it certainly is for beings of a finite existence) but
given that you believe in souls that have (potentially) an infinite existence doesn't
seem to make a lot of sense and certainly contradicts your hypothetical that your god
is offering an infinite relationship.

Try again.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
04 Jul 13

Originally posted by googlefudge
And?

That doesn't answer the question.

You're basically saying that temporary relationships are finite.

Which is a tautology.

And you can't even manage to say that clearly.

Also, I again think you mean Temporary rather than Temporal.

Temporal is as I said a word seldom if ever used outside of Star Trek
technobabble or New Age Nonsense ...[text shortened]... our hypothetical that your god
is offering an infinite relationship.

Try again.
googlefudge, do you love any other googlefudges?

P

Moves
05 Jul 13

I think I see where you are trying to go with this. Correct me if I am wrong but you seem to be saying that once dead we are 'outside of time' and therefore any state we might be in at that point cannot change because there is no passing of time in which the state could change. Therefore there is no possibility of my 'temporary' relationships followed by or interspersed with periods of separation. It is either all or nothing.

Have I got that right?

There are a number of problems with this but the main one as I see it is that outside of time, there is no such thing as 'experience' since experience is a process dependent on the passing of time. Without experience, your concept of any kind of 'soul' vanishes. Likewise a 'relationship' is also impossible without the passing of time.

So you have to have some kind of time in order to have a soul that can experience a relationship. As soon as you bring time back into the equation, you also have to accept the possibility of my two extra options.

--- Penguin

Cape Town

Moves
05 Jul 13

There are a number of problems with this....
Other problems:
1. The concept that this occurs 'after' some point in our timeline is invalid.
2. The concept of 'eternal' is questionable in this context.
3. The concept that some choice in the timeline can result in a change to something outside of time is invalid.

Anything outside of time is static with respect to anything inside of time and anything inside of time is static with respect to anything outside of time ie the entity outside of time sees the whole timeline at once and cannot tinker with it or otherwise interact without creating new timelines.

Moves
05 Jul 13

googlefudge, do you love any other googlefudges?
Given you have answered none of my questions I see no reason why i should answer yours.

Particularly as your question appears malformed, and irrelevant.