Living in Truth.

Living in Truth.

Spirituality

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
27 Mar 19
2 edits

In The Third Epistle of John the truth is a living Person. This Person testifies within them about the genuine reality and the falsehood of false teaching.

"To Demetrius testimony has been borne by all, and by the truth itself; and we also testify, and you know that our testimony is true." (v.12)

Perhaps it is three parties that testify that Demetrius is a genuine example of one walking in the truth.

1.) All the believers who knew him.
2.) The believers in the church to which John writes.
3.) The apostles with John.

C
It is what it is

Pretoria

Moves
27 Mar 19
1 edit

@sonship said
Again in his Third Epistle Johns greatest joy is that believers he cared for are walking and living in the truth.
[quote] I have no greater joy than these things, that I hear that my children are walking in the truth."
Hi sonship,
You really shouldn't have taken all this trouble, I'm not sure who you did it for, because I have known all those verses from childhood.

I believe the subject under discussion is what it really MEANS PRACTICALLY to "live in the truth".

What is it that the apostle recognised in the disciples when he commended them for it? We all know the Bible verses, but few of us know what it means on Monday morning.j

Also, when I posted the thread I actually wanted to use the word "truth" colloquially, in sense of normal English usage, and not as a cosmic religious concept. (fmf actually took me to task when I inadvertently changed the meaning by capitalising the word Truth. )

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
27 Mar 19
6 edits

@CalJust

Hi sonship,
You really shouldn't have taken all this trouble, I'm not sure who you did it for, because I have known all those verses from childhood.

Did you notice that the posts (except for my first here) were not directed at anyone in particular. They didn't assume someone like you didn't know about those verses.

Twas, little trouble.

I believe the subject under discussion is what it really MEANS PRACTICALLY to "live in the truth".

Yes. And in one or two posts ... I don't think the profound question can be answered so easily.

I couldn't do it.
But still I want to contribute something that may help some on the way.

The truth there in the New Testament is about a living Person.
One plus One is Two. That is a TRUTH. But that is not really about a living life as truth.

The truth very often in the New Testament is about the relationship with One who is a living Person as the ultimate reality - the truth.

That's what I'd submit first.

But holding to truth in love, we may grow up into Him in all things, ..." (Eph. 4:15a)

Paul says they learned the truth as something IN Jesus.
But you did not so learn Christ, Since indeed you have heard Him and been taught in Him as the truth is in Jesus. (Eph. 4:20,21)

Not an easy concept to grasp.
The truth involves a living and available Person.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
27 Mar 19

Cont. with Caljust,

What is it that the apostle recognised in the disciples when he commended them for it? We all know the Bible verses, but few of us know what it means on Monday morning.

I think it starts with the inquirer. Begin Monday morning as every morning setting aside some time to TURN your heart to Jesus.

There is something like a VEIL or a COVERING obscuring the heart from reality. When the heart TURNS to the living Person of Christ the veil is taken away. The taking away of the covering veil over the heart is really the turning of the heart to the direction of Jesus as a living Person.

Turning the heart towards the living Person is turning toward the reality, the truth. And it is the believers calling that she would live moment by moment in such a situation.

This must become so second nature that it is spontaneous. You are not that aware that you are enjoying Christ the Spirit until something comes and interrupts the enjoyment.

You may not realize that you are walking in the truth until something distracts you from God and suddenly you are aware that something is not right.

In a post or two or three - I cannot exhaust this profound matter you ask about. But we still should say something.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
27 Mar 19

@galveston75 said
Lets try this again and see if I get it right this time.
We all believe what we believe and in accord will no doubt give statements and answers that reflect that, right? But, you and and a couple others here just don't accept that and feel that we should answer in some non correct way to our beliefs for you, and just ignore what we believe and answer in the way and tha ...[text shortened]... oing door to door is BS? Really? So I can tear those pages out of the bible because you say it's BS?
I dont know what you are ranting and raving about. Your brainwashed JW mind cannot think clearly. Jesus Christ laid out in crystal clear language the lifestyle of those who would enter the Kingdom of God. Its all in Matt 5, 6 and 7... the Sermon on the Mount. These very same principles were illustrated in parables and stories. Nowhere did Jesus command all His followers to go door to door. These were specific instructions to disciples who were sent on a preaching mission.

As for Dives question, it is a fact that the JWs do not accept the possibility that someone can enter the Kingdom of God and not be a JW. Its in their writings.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
27 Mar 19

@CalJust

If at all possible, be practical and specific, don’t just mouth religious words like “Jesus is the Truth” .

Also, a heartfelt plea to try to keep this thread free from personal abuse.

First, if you are a believer in the Son of God you should not let yourself get cynical about the word of God. Resist the temptation.

The word of God is guileless like the milk of a mother to nourish the child. What is needed is to mix the word with a prayerful spirit of faith.

The Spirit of Christ is rather abstract. The Word of God is a practical way to lay hold of the abstraction of the Spirit. Dont let yourself get cynical about it. Rather take in the word in the way of nourishment. You have to eat. You have to nourish your spirit on the words of faith. You have to be nourished up.

I said the Spirit is abstract. But the word is called the sword of the Spirit. Via the Word of God we may lay our hands on the abstract Spirit of God. It is the handle by which we may more practically lay hold of the illusive Spirit of God.

The best way to start the day is with a time set aside with your prayerful spirit and the word of God and your mixing the word with faith.

The walk in truth is not how we act so much. It is with how we REACT. Living in the truth comes out not in our acting as much as in how we react. It manifests itself spontaneously.

What we eat is what we will live out.
What we take the time to take into us is what will come out from us in our reactions. In this way we embark on the life long lesson lf learning to live in Jesus.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
27 Mar 19
3 edits

@CalJust

If at all possible, be practical and specific, don’t just mouth religious words like “Jesus is the Truth” .

If you have received the Lord Jesus Christ by faith we continue on to walk by Him in faith.

By faith we believe His blood has cleansed our every sin away and we have the gift of eternal life. By faith also we say -

"Lord Jesus, You can also be my wisdom.
Lord Jesus, I have no endurance. Lord YOU can be endurance in me. "

As we received Him so we continue to WALK in Him.

We can say -

"Lord Jesus, I want to sin right now. Lord, You were sinless and You live in Me. I turn my heart to your sinless presence. Save me. "

We can learn to say with Paul that it is no longer I who live but it is Christ Who lives in me. I am joined one spirit with Him.

So our appreciation for Christ deepens. Our estimation of what Christ can be in us grows. There is NO END to how much it can grow. We are only limited by our willingness to SPEND Him.

He is like a check made out into which any amount of money can be written. Only WE can limit how rich He can be.

Then there is something else. This Christian life is designed so that most of us cannot make it alone. We need a companion. We need some trusted brothers and sisters with whom we can pursue this life with together.

Maybe it starts with only one other person. But we often cannot get through some things alone. We need fellowship. We are often too hard on ourselves. We should realize the the Body of Christ is a corporate matter.

This doesnt necessarily mean you need hundreds of others. But you need someone you trust and can open up to about your weaknesses. You TWO can pray for one another. God will honor this because in it is love for one another.

Don't be too hard on yourself if you are use to trying to go it alone. Find another seeking believer. Build up one another. Then find another. Keep your relationship not natural but spiritual centered on Jesus Christ. Yet "spiritual" at times will be rather practical and involve practical help.

God will not give you everything vertically. God will reserve some help to come to you horizontally in love for one another in the Christian brotherhood.

God will honor your not wanting to be completely independent. All are needy. All need FELLOWSHIP.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
27 Mar 19
3 edits

I have given example of playing chess. Every chess player knows that in the beginning of the game you should make sure you get your share of the center of the board. The center of the board is crucial for you to make sure you have ground there.

EVERYDAY ... is a new game.
EVERYDAY ... is a new day for the Christian.

Yesterday is under the blood of His forgiveness.
Tomorrow is not yet here.
You only have TODAY.

When TODAY starts (for you, whenever that is) that should be like the center of the chess board you want to assure you're not squeezed out. Rather you assure that God and Christ are not SQUEEZED OUT of your day.

When your day begins, spend some time with the word of God and in prayer. You can read and muse on a few verses. You can read allowed.

Make your first transaction of the day be with God.

That is the spiritual equivalent to a chess game's strategy to make SURE that you have some ground in the crucial center squares of the board.

Tomorrow will have its own issues. You don't have that yet.
Yesterday should have concluded with you confessing ALL KNOWN failures and sins. That you don't have anymore either.

You only have TODAY. And each day if you start TODAY right you will learn to walk and live more in the truth.

If you cannot start the day with God, take some time during the day FOR some time with God. Something is better than nothing. A time with Jesus is needed. He will honor that. And spontaneously without effort you find that He will give Himself INTO you almost unconsciously, spontaneously.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
27 Mar 19

@rajk999 said
Here is the whole story of what justification is about from Paul

[i]Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. But if, while we seek to be just ...[text shortened]... disobey Christ will die.
Those who continue on with obedience to Christ will get eternal life.[/b]
Look again Rajk.

Paul says, "Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ,.."

And then you say, "Faith in Christ and the avoidance of sin is what makes one justified".

Take a moment and compare the two statements. If you can't see how you've erred in comprehension, then you're still under the law, and not under grace.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
28 Mar 19

@rajk999 said
I dont know what you are ranting and raving about. Your brainwashed JW mind cannot think clearly. Jesus Christ laid out in crystal clear language the lifestyle of those who would enter the Kingdom of God. Its all in Matt 5, 6 and 7... the Sermon on the Mount. These very same principles were illustrated in parables and stories. Nowhere did Jesus command all His followers to g ...[text shortened]... pt the possibility that someone can enter the Kingdom of God and not be a JW. Its in their writings.
Perhaps your bible does not have these scriptures in it? I'm sure it does but you probably refuse to see it? Who knows????? Who cares????

"Jesus told his followers to “make disciples of people of all the nations.” (Matthew 28:19, 20) When he sent out his early disciples, Jesus directed them to go to the homes of the people. (Matthew 10:7, 11-13) After Jesus’ death, first-century Christians continued to spread their message both “publicly and from house to house.” (Acts 5:42; 20:20) We follow the example of those early Christians and find that the door-to-door ministry is a good way to reach people." WTS.

Matt 10:11-13 says:
11 “Into whatever city or village you enter, search out who in it is deserving, and stay there until you leave.
12 When you enter the "house", greet the household. 13 If the "house" is deserving, let the peace you wish it come upon it but if it is not deserving, let the peace from you return upon you."

So what does this word deserving mean? It refers to ones who wanted to hear what they were teaching. If they were not deserving the brothers were not to waist their time at that house teaching them.

I would think that's pretty easy to understand....

Acts 5:42 says:
42 " And every day in the temple and from "house to house" they continued without letup teaching and declaring the good news about the Christ, Jesus."

I believe the term "house to house" would easily mean "door to door"? Yep!!!!

So my friend if you don't see the need to do this and even go to the point of condemning those who do, that's up to you and I don't care one way or the other. But you make yourself look really bad..........

PS. The big obvious point here about what Jesus said for his followers to do is this.... He has not yet told us to stop doing it!!!!!!!!!!

F

Moves
28 Mar 19

@secondson said
Paul says, "Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ,.."
Did Paul not write Galatians 2:16-17 and Romans 6:14-16?

F

Moves
28 Mar 19

@caljust said
H dive - I realise that it is very dangerous for a third party to get involved in a dog fight - I might get bitten myself!
I don't think it's a dogfight. I think that terminology dismisses the substance of the dispute to easily.

[1] galveston75 believes that only members of the non-profit corporation based in New York, that he happens to be a member of, can be "saved", but

[2] he hates to come out and say it but likes to take the opportunity, when asked about it, to regurgitate dollops of dogma, but

[3] quotes from his organization's magazines [which he believes are divinely inspired in the same way as the Gospels are thought to be] have been tracked down and reproduced here and they state that only members of the JWs can be "saved", but

[4] he hates to come out and say it [I'm repeating for emphasis], but

[5] he loves to lay out the Biblical justification for why JWs believe that only members of their organization are "saved", but

[6] he hates to come out and say it [additional emphasis], but

[7] while some might say this a kind silly equivocating need to be diplomatic, it is in fact an issue of integrity and the impact of having been in a cult for 4-5 decades has had on his integrity and on his intellect, in so far as he exhibits both here in public.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
28 Mar 19

@fmf said
I don't think it's a dogfight. I think that terminology dismisses the substance of the dispute to easily.

[1] galveston75 believes that only members of the non-profit corporation based in New York, that he happens to be a member of, can be "saved", but

[2] he hates to come out and say it but likes to take the opportunity, when asked about it, to regurgitate dollops of dog ...[text shortened]... decades has had on his integrity and on his intellect, in so far as he exhibits both here in public.
Why do I waist my time???? If you guys would actually read my post and look up the links I post here, it is for a reason that I do it. You say I don't answer? Yes I do...... If nothing else look at the first word in the first paragraph. There is the answer you all want so much, and it's the one that was in this post all along!!

https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/who-saved/#?insight[search_id]=ce24cad8-9dbb-4778-b6b2-b57b7fa59651&insight[search_result_index]=6

F

Moves
28 Mar 19

@galveston75 said
Why do I waist my time????
If CalJust thinks I am wasting his time by sharing with him my thoughts on the matter, then so be it. If you feel it is a waste of time reading what I post, then don't read it.

F

Moves
28 Mar 19
1 edit

@galveston75 said
If nothing else look at the first word in the first paragraph. There is the answer you all want so much, and it's the one that was in this post all along!!

https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/who-saved/#?insight[search_id]=ce24cad8-9dbb-4778-b6b2-b57b7fa59651&insight[search_result_index]=6
If nothing else look at the first word in the first paragraph. There is the answer you all want so much, and it's the one that was in this post all along!!

From your link: "No. Many millions who lived in centuries past and who weren’t Jehovah’s Witnesses will have an opportunity for salvation."

What about people LIVING NOW (never mind those who lived in centuries past) ... what about people currently alive who aren't Jehovah’s Witnesses?

From your link: "Additionally, many now living may yet begin to serve God, and they too will gain salvation."

You mean they "...may yet begin to serve God" i.e. become Jehovah’s Witnesses?

You obviously believe Jehovah’s Witnesses have begun to serve God.

What about people who are Baptists, Anglicans, Episcopalians Mormons, Catholics, Presbyterians etc. and who "serve God" piously within the terms of reference of those Christian traditions - have they "begun to serve God"?

The paragraph you gave me to read sounds like it was written by a furtive corporate lawyer who is trying to obfuscate his employer's policy.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.