messianic prophecies

messianic prophecies

Spirituality

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
18 Oct 12

Originally posted by stellspalfie
do christians believe in the messianic prophecies? do they believe jesus accomplished the prophecies or that he will do so on his return?
Yes, Christians believe in the Messianic prophecies. And YAHshua (Jesus) claimed to be the Messiah (Christ) and is recognized as such in the Holy Bible and by Christians.

YAHshua has fulfilled or started the fulfilment of many Messianic prophecies and we believe He will return, like He said, and complete the fulfillment of all the Messianic prophecies.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
18 Oct 12

[b]Do you believe you are better at understanding the King James version of the Bible (which is written in English) than an Indian man whose first language is Hindi but has learnt English quite well and studied the Bible extensively?

i doubt very much that i would be able to. but the when it comes to the bible and the torrah both sides would ha ...[text shortened]... e hebrew text. i would think the jewish scholars would have a bit of an advantage. wouldnt they?[/b]
For I do not want you, brethren, to be uninformed of this mystery-- so that you will not be wise in your own estimation-- that a partial hardening has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in;

(Romans 11:25 NASB)

But their minds were hardened; for until this very day at the reading of the old covenant the same veil remains unlifted, because it is removed in Christ.

(2 Corinthians 3:14 NASB)

Cape Town

Moves
18 Oct 12

Originally posted by FMF
Why did robbie keep asking me 'how many of the messianic prophecy's did Matthew create?', 'how many prophecies did Matthew create?', 'how many messianic prophecies did he create?' when I wasn't claiming that Matthew "created" [b]any of them? Could you catch what robbie was on about with all that?[/b]
Its fairly obvious to any reader of the New Testament that a large portion of the Gospels are written specifically to demonstrate that Jesus was the messiah. It is also obvious that the writers would almost certainly not have had this information readily available to them. So it is likely that they either got it via 'inspiration' from God, or they made it up. Robbie knows this is a major problem for anyone claiming that Jesus fulfilled prophesy.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
18 Oct 12
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
actually my Bible states maiden, will i quote it again,

(Isaiah 7:14) . . .Therefore Jehovah himself will give you men a sign: Look! The
maiden herself will actually become pregnant, and she is giving birth to a son, and
she will certainly call his name Immanuel.

why again is it a noticeable sign that a normal young women of marriageable ...[text shortened]... ne , isnt it. It must be a hard pill to swallow, but take your
medicine and you will be fine.
In that culture a young girl that is not married is normally considered a virgin for it would be a disgrace to have sex and get pregnant out of wedlock. She not only was pregnant out of wedlock, even though she was engaged to be married, she also claimed to never had sex with a man and that she was made pregnant by God. She was in effect calling her son God's Son or Immanuel (God with us). Her son was also given the name YAHshua (YAH saves) as commanded by God's angel. I think this makes a pretty good sign that He is the promised Messiah (Anointed One) born King of the Jews.

Moves
18 Oct 12

Originally posted by sumydid
Is this a serious question?

Simply bothering to take the 5 seconds to read a couple of words from the bible answers the question.

Mary, the mother of Jesus, attested to being a virgin, and if anyone would have known it for a fact... she would have.

Okay, so here comes the inevitable.. "How do we know Mary said it, and even if she did ...[text shortened]... reed that nothing would convince them because they are bound and determined not to believe.
its not a case of believing or not believing for me. more of a curiosity in the text and its relation to other translations. it also interests me why people believe 100% that their chosen religion has the correct meaning despite there being multiple other translations offering other meanings that seem equally valid. i guess this brings us back around to things being true and false at the same time 😉

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
18 Oct 12

its not a case of believing or not believing for me. more of a curiosity in the text and its relation to other translations. it also interests me why people believe 100% that their chosen religion has the correct meaning despite there being multiple other translations offering other meanings that seem equally valid. i guess this brings us back around to things being true and false at the same time 😉
How is it that something can be true and false at the same time?

Moves
18 Oct 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
Yes, you are right, that is the belief of Christians.

[b]Messianic Prophecy - He would send forth from Jerusalem the Law of Repentance and Remission of Sins for the nations and He will execute judgment among the nations.

And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob; and ...[text shortened]... hed unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

(1 Timothy 3:16 KJV)[/b]
thanks for the clarification rj.

ive read that the old testament doesnt have any references to the 2nd coming, does anybody know if this is correct? it would seem slightly dubious if non of the prophets predicted it.

Moves
18 Oct 12

How is it that something can be true and false at the same time?
truth can subjective (sometimes). what can be true to you maybe false to me.

rc

Moves
18 Oct 12

Originally posted by VoidSpirit
come on. we both know you don't believe that. the messiah you believe in hasn't fulfilled all the prophecies going on 2000 years now. that's an awful long time for a messiah to do what the messiah is supposed to do.

you have such low standards for a messiah. you'll even accept a failed one.
Not only do I believe it, its a prerequisite, you fail fatboy! AGAIN, you must be getting
used to it by now. I have provided a plethora of scriptural references demonstrating
the messianic prophecy and the subsequent fulfilment in scripture, I will not do so
again, please frame your ludicrous self certified and meaningless opinions within that
framework, if you please.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
18 Oct 12

truth can subjective (sometimes). what can be true to you maybe false to me.
I understand what you mean. There are some that believe the theory of evolution is true and God does not exist. That is very true in their mind, but false in reality.

Cape Town

Moves
18 Oct 12

In that culture a young girl that is not married is normally considered a virgin for it would be a disgrace to have sex and get pregnant out of wedlock. She not only was pregnant out of wedlock, even though she was engaged to be married, she also claimed to never had sex with a man and that she was made pregnant by God. She was in effect calling her son Go ...[text shortened]... makes a pretty good sign that He is the promised Messiah (Anointed One) born King of the Jews.
So a girl gets pregnant out of wedlock - something you admit to be disgraceful - then names her son YAHshua. These two things, according to you, make a pretty good sign that her son is the Messiah? Are you serious?

rc

Moves
18 Oct 12

Originally posted by twhitehead
Its fairly obvious to any reader of the New Testament that a large portion of the Gospels are written specifically to demonstrate that Jesus was the messiah. It is also obvious that the writers would almost certainly not have had this information readily available to them. So it is likely that they either got it via 'inspiration' from God, or they made it up. Robbie knows this is a major problem for anyone claiming that Jesus fulfilled prophesy.
This is among the most ill informed assertion yet to surface on this thread and betrays
the kind of ignorance that the theist battles against every day. Anyone could go into a
synagogue and examine the Hebrew text, messianic prophecies are based on what was
written in the Hebrew text, Matthew made none of these up and to state that he did not
have access to them is simply ludicrous and the type of self certified and
unsubstantiated opinion which defines all of the anti-theist posts, you people actually
believe your own propaganda, you are worthy to be mocked! The only problem a
theist has to face is the scurrilous ignorance of non theists.

rc

Moves
18 Oct 12
2 edits

Originally posted by VoidSpirit
we'll go with the first few for starters.

1. show the lineage papers.
2. show the lineage papers.
3. a lot of people are born in bethlem. where's your proof that jesus was royal blood of the line of david?
4. there is no such messianic prophecy in isa 7;14
5. that's not what jer 31;15 is saying. rachel is weeping for her lost children, dying in f opying stuff from one of the BS christian long list of [non]prophecies fulfilled pages?
the scriptural references I have given are abundant, I will not do so again, it took me a
considerable time to look them up and throw these pearls before you swine. Once
again it must be noted that you have no real basis for objecting to Christ not having
fulfilled any or all of these messianic prophecies except some drivelling mumbling and
a failure to comprehend the import of the verses, but that's what we have come to
expect, isn't it.

1. scriptural references were provided
2 scriptural references were provided
3. scriptural references were provided
4. there is clearly a messianic prophecy at Isaiah 7:14, your failure to understand or
comprehend the fact does not negate it, your opinion is meaningless.

5.[31:15] Ramah: a village about five miles north of Jerusalem, where one tradition
locates Rachel’s tomb (1 Sm 10:2). The wife of Jacob/Israel, Rachel is the
matriarchal ancestor of Ephraim, chief among the northern tribes. She personified
Israel as a mother whose grief for her lost children is especially poignant because
she had to wait a long time to bear them. Mt 2:18 applies this verse to Herod’s
slaughter of the innocents.

http://www.usccb.org/bible/jeremiah/31/#30031015-1

your opinion is again meaningless.

Moves
18 Oct 12

I understand what you mean. There are some that believe the theory of evolution is true and God does not exist. That is very true in their mind, but false in reality.
errr, thats not exactly what i was getting at. its not just about what is true in our mind. it needs apply to our minds and reality.

so if i say - "taking a pain killer is good" this is true to a person with a headache and false to a person with a pain killer allergy".

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
18 Oct 12

thanks for the clarification rj.

ive read that the old testament doesnt have any references to the 2nd coming, does anybody know if this is correct? it would seem slightly dubious if non of the prophets predicted it.
There is no specific reference in the OT that states there is a second coming of the Messiah. It is a matter of interpretation.
Perhaps this reference will help you understand:

http://www.jesusplusnothing.com/studies/online/thetwocomings.htm

After you read it, let me know if you still have questions about it and I will try to see if I can give you answers.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.