Spiritual Quotes

Spiritual Quotes

Spirituality

a

Meddling with things

Moves
12 Jun 05

If they are good workmen, they may be of Asia, Africa, or Europe. They may be Mohometans, Jews or Christians of any Sect, or they may be Atheists.
-- George Washington

a

Meddling with things

Moves
12 Jun 05

There are those who scoff at the school boy, calling him frivolous and shallow. Yet it was the schoolboy who said, "Faith is believing what you know ain't so."
-- Mark Twain,

One of the proofs of the immortality of the soul is that myriads have believed in it. They have also believed the world was flat.
-- Mark Twain, Notebook (1900)

The gods offer no rewards for intellect. There was never one yet that showed any interest in it.
-- Mark Twain, Notebook

a

Meddling with things

Moves
12 Jun 05

No man who ever lived knows any more about the hereafter ... than you and I; and all religion ... is simply evolved out of chicanery, fear, greed, imagination and poetry.
-- Edgar Allan Poe

a

Meddling with things

Moves
12 Jun 05

I have found Christian dogma unintelligible. Early in life I absented myself from Christian assemblies.
-- Benjamin Franklin

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
12 Jun 05

"I weigh the man, not his title; 'tis not the king's stamp can make the metal better."

William Wycherley

a

Meddling with things

Moves
12 Jun 05

Mankind shall not be free until the last king is strangled in the entrails of the last priest.
-- Denis Diderot

E

Moves
16 Jun 05

A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history.
~ Mohandas Gandhi

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
24 Jun 05

"Responsibility educates."

Wendell Phillips

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
25 Jun 05

Oh, what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to believe.
Laurence J. Peter

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
26 Jun 05

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned."

Buddha

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
01 Jul 05

"The good man, although he is a slave, is free; but the bad man, even if he reigns, is a slave, and a slave not of just one man but, what is far more grievous, of as many masters as he has vices."

Saint Augustine, The City of God

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
01 Jul 05

"Do not be afraid! Open, in deed, open wide the doors to Christ! . . . Open to his saving power . . . Too often people are uncertain about a sense of life on earth. Invaded by doubts they are led into despair. Therefore-with humility and trust I beg and implore you-allow Christ to speak to the person in you. Only he has the words of life, yes, eternal life . . . "

John Paul II

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
01 Jul 05
1 edit

"Cheap grace is the preaching of forgiveness without requiring repentance, baptism without church discipline, Communion without confession, absolution without personal confession. Cheap grace is grace without the cross, grace without Jesus Christ, living and incarnate . . . "

Dietrich Bonhoeffer.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
15 Jul 05

""Let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle."

George Washington.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
19 Jul 05

He who knows not, and knows not that he knows not, is a fool, shun him!
He who knows not, and knows that he knows not, is a child, teach him.
He who knows, and knows not that he knows, is asleep, wake him.
He who knows, and knows that he knows, is wise, follow him.

Persian Proverb

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.