Spiritual Quotes

Spiritual Quotes

Spirituality

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
29 Jul 05

Dear debaters, this is a "spiritual quotes" thread. If you want to post jokes, I suggest you open a new thread. Thanks.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
29 Jul 05

Originally posted by ivanhoe

Dear debaters, this is a "spiritual quotes" thread. If you want to post jokes, I suggest you open a new thread. Thanks.
lol you just made 5 posts that had not a glint of spirituality in them. Rules are rules ya know.

For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)

g

Moves
29 Jul 05

There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness.

Josh Billings (1818 - 1885)

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
29 Jul 05

"You can only find truth with logic if you have already found truth without it."

G. K. Chesterton

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
29 Jul 05

“Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.” – Japanese Proverb

S

Moves
29 Jul 05

Imagination rules the world - Napoleon

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
06 Aug 05

"[God] maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust."

Matthew 5:45

l

London

Moves
09 Aug 05
1 edit

Religion [has become] modern again. Its disappearance is no longer anticipated; on the contrary, various new forms of it are growing luxuriantly. In the leaden loneliness of a God-forsaken world, in its interior boredom, the search for mysticism, for any sort of contact with the divine, has sprung up anew .... Some complain that this new search for religion, to a great extent, is passing the traditional Christian churches by. An institution is inconvenient, and dogma is bothersome. They are looking for experience, an encounter with the entirely Other.

- Ratzinger, Cardinal Joseph (Pope Benedict XVI). Introduction to Christianity. pp.18-19. Communio, 1990.

F

Moves
10 Aug 05

Originally posted by ivanhoe

"Eskimo: "If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?"
Priest: "No, not if you did not know." Eskimo: "Then why did you tell me?"

Annie Dillard
that is a great quote. i heard it before.

K
Strawman

Not Kansas

Moves
10 Aug 05

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Religion [has become] modern again. Its disappearance is no longer anticipated; on the contrary, various new forms of it are growing luxuriantly. In the leaden loneliness of a God-forsaken world, in its interior boredom, the search for mysticism, for any sort of contact with the divine, has sprung up anew .... Some complain that this new search for re ...[text shortened]... dinal Joseph (Pope Benedict XVI). Introduction to Christianity. pp.18-19. Communio, 1990.
He'll have to do better than that if he wishes to drum up new business.

l

London

Moves
15 Aug 05
1 edit

"Just as we have ... recognised that the believer does not live immune to doubt but is always threatened by the plunge into the void [of atheism], so now we can discern the entangled nature of human destinies and say that the nonbeliever does not lead a sealed-off, self-sufficient life, either. However vigorously he may assert that he is a pure positivist, who has long left behind him supernatural temptations and weaknesses and now accepts only what is immediately certain, he will never be free of the secret uncertainty about whether positivism really has the last word."

- Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger (Pope Benedict XVI). Introduction to Christianity. p.45.

l

London

Moves
17 Aug 05
1 edit

"You will have already heard that some books on prayer give advice to the soul to enter into itself; now this is the same thing. A great theologian said to me not long ago, that souls who do not pray are like a body that is paralysed or disabled, which, though it has feet and hands, cannot use them, and in the same way, some souls are so weak, and so much given up to exterior things, that there is no improving them, nor do they seem to be able to enter into themselves. They are so accustomed to mix with the reptiles and beasts that are round about the castle†, that they have contracted their habits, and though by nature so richly endowed as to be capable of conversing with God, there is no curing them."

- St. Teresa of Jesus (Teresa of Avila). The Interior Castle. Ch.1.

† The premise of The Interior Castle (aka The Mansions) is that the human soul is like a magnificent castle with many treasures; but most humans never discover these because they do not "enter into" themselves. For St. Teresa, "prayer and reflection are the gateway into this Castle" (ibid.)

L

Moves
28 Aug 05

"So I asked this God a question
and by way of firm reply,
He said -- I'm not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays."

from 'Wind-Up', by Jethro Tull.

IMO, the majority of the rest of the lyrics from the song are artistically misplaced and just demonstrate bitterness through accusations. but, in its better moments, the song is about self-discovery and awakening.

L

Moves
28 Aug 05

"Not even God can hit a 1-iron."

--said by many a golfer when playing through electrical storms. occasionally, it is uttered in a sarcastic voice while holding a 1-iron toward the sky during electrical storms, usually with a glaring and dangerous lack of respect for....physics.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
28 Aug 05
1 edit

"PEOPLE DON'T CARE WHAT YOU KNOW, THEY WANT TO KNOW IF YOU CARE"

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.