Evolution Q & A

Evolution Q & A

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
139d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Science Kelly, you ignore science.
Nothing like being vague when you were asked for specifics! How about highlighting one of your scientific facts you think I am willfully blind to. You have something right, you just are not blowing smoke to complain with nothing in mind?

Über-Nerd

Moves
139d

@kellyjay said
This simply reveals how steep into evil you are, that you don’t even acknowledge it with some of the most disagreeable examples of it.
The vast, overwhelming, majority of people in the world never commit burglary, rape, or murder. Indeed, it never even occurs to that same vast, overwhelming, majority to do such things. The people who commit such crimes are less than 0.5% of the population. I rather suspect that they form less than 0.0005% of the population, but I haven't the patience to search the FBI web site for the exact percentage. If people were as evil as you think they are, we wouldn't be here; our distant ancestors would have extincted themselves tens of thousands of years ago, without any help from a flood. The fact that you have such a dark view of humanity speaks volumes about yourself and says nothing about humanity.

F

Moves
138d

@moonbus said
The fact that you have such a dark view of humanity speaks volumes about yourself and says nothing about humanity.
KellyJay is the embodiment of...

Christianity [his brand, at least] = misanthropy + narcissism...

Humans are all as evil as rapists [misanthropy] but he personally has an ideology that means he can think his way to eternal life [narcissism].

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
138d

@moonbus said
The vast, overwhelming, majority of people in the world never commit burglary, rape, or murder. Indeed, it never even occurs to that same vast, overwhelming, majority to do such things. The people who commit such crimes are less than 0.5% of the population. I rather suspect that they form less than 0.0005% of the population, but I haven't the patience to search the FBI ...[text shortened]... you have such a dark view of humanity speaks volumes about yourself and says nothing about humanity.
The fact of the matter is the common man can do these types of things if our desires outweigh our notions of right and wrong. It doesn't matter what the majority does or doesn't do, what matters is that we could, as we see when one of us does them, so given the right circumstances, people lie, cheat, and have affairs, The bar isn't very high so only things like murder make us worthy of hell, calling someone a fool is enough. Do you think the race isn't full of things making us worthy of hell if the bar is there, righteousness matters, God's righteousness.

Matthew 5:22
But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.

F

Moves
138d

@kellyjay said
The fact of the matter is the common man can do these types of things if our desires outweigh our notions of right and wrong. It doesn't matter what the majority does or doesn't do, what matters is that we could.
Why on Earth "doesn't it matter that the majority doesn't" rape and murder?

F

Moves
138d

@kellyjay said
The bar isn't very high so only things like murder make us worthy of hell, calling someone a fool is enough.
dj2becker used to insist that "getting angry with one's brother" was equally as evil as murdering 6,000,000 Jews.

F

Moves
138d

@kellyjay said
Matthew 5:22
But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.
You have been angry with me, KellyJay, you've called me a liar, and a fool, numerous times. Does this mean you are "liable to the hell of fire" [misanthropy]? Or, wait, don't tell me... are there some ideological notions you have about yourself and Jesus that mean you are not "liable to the hell of fire" [narcissism]?

ENGLAND

Moves
138d

@kellyjay said
It doesn't matter what the majority does or doesn't do, what matters is that we could
It doesn’t matter what the majority does or doesn’t do what matters is what we could [do]

What on Earth are you on about KellyJay?

- I didn't do anything wrong Lord.
- Ahh but you COULD have, so it’s off to eternal torture with you!

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
138d
1 edit

@moonbus said
There is no code inside a cell. It's just chemicals. Humans interpret it as if it were coded instructions because that's how humans are: they think in terms of codes and instructions, and they see patterns everywhere, even where they don't really exist. Like seeing 'designs' in sand dunes. There is no mind making sand dunes fall into regular wave-like pa ...[text shortened]... is no mind moving molecules around inside cells (causing mutations or coding instructions into DNA).
I was thinking about what you said here, this is what you are doing. If I were to shuffle a deck of cards is roughly around 1 in 10 to power 68 a specific order would appear, and what you are suggesting has more to do with saying if you shuffle a deck of cards some sequence will show up and the odds of that are 1.

The distinction is that specific orders are required in life for it to form, and within it features that carry on genetic tasks, not just any ole order, there are genetic rules, limitations, specific amino acids forming specific proteins, and there are forms and functions in life that are coded into life or it simply wouldn't exist. You don't seem to grasp the whole concept at all, and your arguments are simply denial, nothing about what you claim has reasoning behind it outside of it just is, meaning you have no idea.

Z

Moves
138d

@kellyjay said
I was thinking about what you said here, this is what you are doing. If I were to shuffle a deck of cards is roughly around 1 in 10 to power 68, and what you are suggesting has more to do with saying if you shuffle a deck of cards some sequence will show up and the odds of that are 1.

The distinction is that specific orders are required in life for it to form, and withi ...[text shortened]... othing about what you claim has reasoning behind it outside of it just is, meaning you have no idea.
"your arguments are simply denial, nothing about what you claim has reasoning behind it outside of it just is"

heh, hilarious coming from you.

F

Moves
138d

@kellyjay said
You don't seem to grasp the whole concept at all, and your arguments are simply denial, nothing about what you claim has reasoning behind it outside of it just is, meaning you have no idea.
you claim has reasoning behind it outside of it just is

But your claim is "it just is [God]" a.k.a. "Goddidit" a.k.a. "Genesis is literally true".

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
138d

@moonbus said
The vast, overwhelming, majority of people in the world never commit burglary, rape, or murder. Indeed, it never even occurs to that same vast, overwhelming, majority to do such things. The people who commit such crimes are less than 0.5% of the population. I rather suspect that they form less than 0.0005% of the population, but I haven't the patience to search the FBI ...[text shortened]... you have such a dark view of humanity speaks volumes about yourself and says nothing about humanity.
You are simply looking at the worst of us and suggesting we are not all like that, the trouble with your assessment is we are. There are not two or three distinct people groups on the planet, there is only one, even as we try to alter that so that we divide them up by race, nationality, religion, worldview, color, and sex there is still just one race, human.

As such we can look at ourselves and define ourselves by the things we do, this one is a baseball player, that one is a police officer, that guy murdered, that girl is a thief she stole things from the store, he is a dad, she is a mom. We all fall short by sinning, and sinning is doing evil instead of good.

Do you have an issue with calling these things evil as opposed to good, murder, stealing, lying, rape evil, and as Jesus said even meditating on our sinful lusts in our hearts is sinning? The bottom line is that we all are sinners, to avoid that would be to be perfect throughout one's life, by definition one who sins is a sinner. We are not to compare ourselves to ourselves, but to Christ, and we fall short, to deny we sin is to call God a liar.

1 John 1
If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
138d
2 edits

@zahlanzi said
"your arguments are simply denial, nothing about what you claim has reasoning behind it outside of it just is"

heh, hilarious coming from you.
By all means, get specific and talk about the things I'm denying that you accept. When I deny something it isn't just because, there are reasons behind why, all I get from many are simple denials nothing more, no reasons are offered, only that I'm wrong, not much there to discuss, that is only an opinion. Even the post you responded to had reasoning in it. Do you have any for your assessment outside of your opinion?

Über-Nerd

Moves
138d
3 edits

@divegeester said
It doesn’t matter what the majority does or doesn’t do what matters is what we could [do]

What on Earth are you on about KellyJay?

- I didn't do anything wrong Lord.
- Ahh but you COULD have, so it’s off to eternal torture with you!
Let us suppose, for the sake of argument, that by some genetic tinkering, we were able to produce a person incapable of sticking a knife into anyone else. Both physiologically and psychologically he simply could not do this. So that we would have eliminated, at one swell foop, and entire class of murderers.

But we would also have eliminated surgeons. Oops.

There cannot be good without at least the capacity for bad. That is what is wrong with KJ's argument about "could have." A man who could not do wrong is not thereby good. He's useless. Some sort of cripple. Not a compete human.

That is precisely why, in the Garden of Eden myth, there is not a forbidden Tree of the Knowledge of Evil, but a forbidden Tree of the Knowledge of Good AND Evil. Now, ask yourself, why was this forbidden? To know good as well as evil?

IP

Moves
138d

@kellyjay said
The fact of the matter is the common man can do these types of things if our desires outweigh our notions of right and wrong. It doesn't matter what the majority does or doesn't do, what matters is that we could, as we see when one of us does them, so given the right circumstances, people lie, cheat, and have affairs, The bar isn't very high so only things like murder make ...[text shortened]... her will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.
As I recall you recently called anyone who didn't believe in your mythology 'brain dead'. Off you go to hell, then.