If anyone is contemplating suicide.

If anyone is contemplating suicide.

Spirituality

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
16 Oct 18

I am going to BED now folks.

FMF do your best to interpret my absence for a spell as some asinine feather in your trolling cap. I "disappeared" or some other self congradulatory delusion.

F

Moves
16 Oct 18

@sonship said
I am going to BED now folks.

FMF do your best to interpret my absence for a spell as some asinine feather in your trolling cap. I "disappeared" or some other self congradulatory delusion.
So you're not going to answer the question about how religious faith ~ other than your own ~ might be something that helped save a person from suicide?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
16 Oct 18
2 edits

@FMF

If a Muslim friend of yours was contemplating suicide, would you counsel them to turn towards their faith, and those who share it, if it would save the person's life

Hypotheticals. Hypotheticals.

Because a Moslim at least believes in God I might encourage them to cry out with all their heart to God. More likely to cry out to the Lord Jesus.

For the sake of them not committing suicide I would not tell them "Oh Yes. Jesus is not the Son of God and Muhammed is the final prophet."

No, for the sake of them not dying I would not deny the truth.

Question for your evening contemplation:

On this forum there is a little place for a Thumbs up symbol and a Thumbs down symbol. They appear to stand for approval.

Question: Is there to you any Universal and Ultimate "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" ?

Or put less trivially - On an ultimate and universal scale do you believe there is a final Approval and/or Disapproval ?

If so. Who gives it?

Goodnight all.

F

Moves
16 Oct 18

@sonship said
This is something robbie carrobie used to do, not me. The way you disappear for a few weeks at a time ~ after you lose control and lash out and spit chips like Eladar - or you insist you didn't say something, call people liars, demand that the quote be found, and then the quote is found ~ has been noticed and remarked upon by plenty of other posters. I have never criticized you for not posting because you've gone to bed. You do me ~ and yourself ~ a disservice by suggesting that I have.

Starmer is a liar

More in my profile

Moves
16 Oct 18

@kellyjay said
Metaphors are used to be representative or symbolic of something else, do you have
what it is this text was to represent if it were not all literal? I believe you said earlier
you did know, if you don't know, why not take it as literal? If you cannot take that
as literal, what else don't you believe, you and thinkofone have list some where of
what is and isn't good scripture?
The question was, which parts a literal?

Starmer is a liar

More in my profile

Moves
16 Oct 18

@sonship said

He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty.

That is the fury of His victory at the battle of Armageddon.
The Hebrew word there is meaningful. I believe that it means "Lure into in order to crush".

Check me on that. Christ will sovereignty gather the worst of the offenders against God's coming to reign, into one place to crush t ...[text shortened]... King of kings and Lord of lords.

Maybe you are looking at its major theme from the wrong angle.
So which parts are literal?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
17 Oct 18
6 edits

@divegeester

So which part is literal.
?

I believe an actual battle of huge proportions with blood flowing like a river will occur. And Second Thessalonians 1:9 adds to this event the penalty of eternal destruction part.

Revelation 14:20

Berean Literal Bible
And the winepress was trodden outside the city, and blood flowed out of the winepress, as high as the bridles of the horses, to the distance of one thousand six hundred stadia.

New American Standard Bible
And the wine press was trodden outside the city, and blood came out from the wine press, up to the horses' bridles, for a distance of two hundred miles.

King James Bible
And the winepress was trodden without the city, and blood came out of the winepress, even unto the horse bridles, by the space of a thousand and six hundred furlongs.

The measurement there sounds literal.

The details of His garment dipped in blood and troddening a [human] winepress echoes the prophecy of Isaiah 63:3.

I have trodden the wine trough alone, And from the peoples there was no man with Me, And I trod them in My anger And trampled them in My wrath;

And their lifeblood is sprinkled on My garments.

And I have stained all My apparel."

Either way I have to conclude that it is not impossible for have a metaphor of something horrific, even eternal damnation. You seem to think something could be too terrible for it possibly to be spoken of symbolically.

I don't know why that should be true.

If eternal life is profound and communicated by metaphor or symbols why could eternal punishment NOT be?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
17 Oct 18
2 edits

A prayer of faith utilizing the benefit of the work of Christ's death:

"Lord Jesus. Die for me. Lord Jesus, I believe that Your death is effective for me as too your resurrection and living forever."

One of the ingredients of the Spirit is the death of Christ.
That is why Paul could say "by the Spirit, put to death ..."

In the Holy Spirit is the killing off power of Christ's death.
That is why Paul could say "we have been baptized into His death".

The life impartation is in the Spirit. But also the terminating death of Christ is an ingredient of the Spirit. That is why Paul could say "we have been buried with Him through baptism into His death." .

The slaying power of Jesus dying is an ingredient of the Holy Spirit ready to be utilized by faith. That is what Paul can say - "Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and lusts."

If you put two dead people in a room and lock the door, guaranteed you will hear no disturbance in that room.

Because the terminating power of His cross death is an ingredient of the Holy Spirit Paul can say that he has died to the world and the world has died to him.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
17 Oct 18

I did not start this thread to be flippant. Paul is a man who PIONEERED in deriving complete benefit from EVERYTHING Jesus was and accomplished. This includes the power of His dying.

Paul used that power.
Available to him and to every believer in Christ is the all-inclusive death of Jesus Christ with its power to kill off "germs" of all kinds in our old being.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
17 Oct 18
3 edits

Paul laid hold of and channeled the death of Christ to terminate, kill off, put to an end, and purge all kinds of negative aspects in his fallen being.

The more Christ's death worked in him the more spiritual life flowed out of him to his congregations!

Sure. Look.

"Always bearing about in the body the putting to death of Jesus that the life of Jesus also may be nanifested in our body.

For we who are alive are always being delivered unto death for Jesus' sake that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh.

So then death operates in us, but life in you." (2 Cor. 4:10-12)

What does the Apostle Paul mean by this?
"So then death operates in us, but life in you." (v.12)

Moves
17 Oct 18

@sonship said
I did not start this thread to be flippant. Paul is a man who PIONEERED in deriving complete benefit from EVERYTHING Jesus was and accomplished. This includes the power of His dying.

Paul used that power.
Available to him and to every believer in Christ is the all-inclusive death of Jesus Christ with its power to kill off "germs" of all kinds in our old being.
I accept your flippancy was clumsy rather than premeditated.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
17 Oct 18

@Ghost-of-a-Duke

Would you agree that the more significant a person's life was the more significant their death is ?

Moves
17 Oct 18
1 edit

@sonship said
@Ghost-of-a-Duke

Would you agree that the more significant a person's life was the more significant their death is ?
Not particularly. I value all life.

Edit: As a Christian do you place more value on the life and death of a significant person (say, who discovers a cure for a disease) than the life of a humble person who quietly raises a family?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
17 Oct 18

@Ghost-of-a-Duke

You may value all life. But wouldn't you think that the significance of the death of, say Napoleon, is more significant then the death of your neighbor's pet dog ?

About the same ?

Moves
17 Oct 18
1 edit

@sonship said
@Ghost-of-a-Duke

You may value all life. But wouldn't you think that the significance of the death of, say Napoleon, is more significant then the death of your neighbor's pet dog ?

About the same ?
See my edit.

And we were discussing human life. You said 'person.'

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.