The Holy Spirit

The Holy Spirit

Spirituality

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
16 Aug 05

Originally posted by David C
Ya just had to go p*ssin' in my Corn Flakes, didn'tcha?

'preciate the insights. What do you make of the relatively new-found interest in our collective spiritual being? The one that appeared around....oh, let's pick a random date....4004 B.C.E.? I take it you're not a fan of drug-addled hysterical ravings about Spirits in the Sky.
I doubt that the interest in our collective spiritual being suddenly appeared in 4000 BC. Why would CroMagnon's bury their dead with objects they used or cherished in life? Later cultures did so the dead could bring them with them into the next life; why not Cro-Magnons?

Personally, I think some of the stories repeated in the Bible are of great antiquity. Take the Flood story; there are similar tales of a world wide flood almost wiping out the human race in many, widely scattered areas of the world. No matter what the Christians here say, there is no geological evidence for a world wide flood. Yet the story spread. I postulate that it is a "proto-myth" which was carried by our remote ancestors from Africa or the Middle East in their travels over the world. It could have originated 50,000 years ago and spread as Man did. Perhaps other stories are "proto-myths" too which started out as similar explanations for various human experiences and eventually changed due to cultures being isolated from each other.

I think it's a lot more interesting possibility than "Goddunnit" and "Godsaidit".

k
Chess Student

Richmond, VA

Moves
16 Aug 05

Originally posted by Palynka
The whole (living) body. 😉
What do you mean by "living"?
A body in a forced state of "life via machine" is still considered a living organism. I this what you consider "living"? Is this 'man'?

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
16 Aug 05

Originally posted by no1marauder
I doubt that the interest in our collective spiritual being suddenly appeared in 4000 BC. Why would CroMagnon's bury their dead with objects they used or cherished in life? Later cultures did so the dead could bring them with them into the next life; why not Cro-Magnons?

Personally, I think some of the stories repeated in the Bible are ...[text shortened]...
I think it's a lot more interesting possibility than "Goddunnit" and "Godsaidit".
Good. I've championed the same ideas elsewhere. So, do you like a literal version of Adam & Eve, or do you favour a more allegorical spin? And if the latter, what was that damned fruit? You know, the one that taught us to know right from wrong, to be like Mike, and feel ashamed of our 'nakedness'?

Let's not put a hard date to it. As I mentioned, I drew the 4004 B.C.E. out of a hat, because Usher calculated that's where it all began. Personally, I think we're missing a big chapter of this tale.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
16 Aug 05

Originally posted by krisvictor
What do you mean by "living"?
A body in a forced state of "life via machine" is still considered a living organism. I this what you consider "living"? Is this 'man'?
No, I mean I don't consider a corpse a man. If someone does, then he must be prepared to state the moment of decomposition where the man would cease to exist.

k
Chess Student

Richmond, VA

Moves
16 Aug 05

No, I mean I don't consider a corpse a man. If someone does, then he must be prepared to state the moment of decomposition where the man would cease to exist.
So, if the body in and of itself does not constitute man, what does? If it is more that "the body" then please tell us what constitute "more".

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
16 Aug 05

So, if the body in and of itself does not constitute man, what does? If it is more that "the body" then please tell us what constitute "more".
The incredible multitude of physical reactions that we define as life. The body without them is merely organic mass, not living organisms. It doesn't need anything metaphysical if that's what you are implying.

l

London

Moves
16 Aug 05

The incredible multitude of physical reactions that we define as life. The body without them is merely organic mass, not living organisms. It doesn't need anything metaphysical if that's what you are implying.
Everything that exists involves metaphysics. The position that you've just mentioned is materialism - a metaphysical viewpoint.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
17 Aug 05

Originally posted by no1marauder
THE SECRET DECODER RING THEORY RIDES AGAIN!!!
Waiting for you to describe red so that one born blind can understand
it. If you can do that in such away one born blind can understand it,
I will acknowledge your right about the secret decoder ring. If you
cannot, well...
Kelly

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
17 Aug 05

Originally posted by KellyJay
You can understand the things of man, you have the spirit of man,
but to understand the things of God you require the Spirit of God.

You can describe a pogo stick, good for you, how about the color
'red' to one born blind? That was the question! Please desribe that
here and now if you will.
Kelly
Red has nothing to do with it. I will now describe MY feeling of God, first time just for you. My beliefs go beyond a written word that was transleted to fit the needs of leaders of the time. My connection with God is the great feeling of pride I get when I help someone, when I am kind to someone... when someone is kind to me. A feeling of understanding, and kindness to EVERYONE.

It is a warm sense of well being that can be described. It is warm, and makes me happy in my heart. It is a good feeling I am sure I am going to get when I pass on from this life, meet up with the people I have known from past lives... and perhaps a decision if I want to go back and take another ride around the wheel of life... or perhaps move on. I won't claim to know, but there is something after this life I am sure in my heart.

When I look at the world around me, I consider it a living being. When I look at a spider, and he looks back. When a deer sneaks through my yard in the evening, and I stand still to watch it watch me. It's a great feeling... unlike the feeling I get when I hear people saying that most of us will burn in Hell when it is all over unless they kneel. Those are words of someone who wanted someone to do something OR ELSE. The Bible is a history book at best, and if Jesus is the second coming... he's happy with who I am, and not to excited about what some people say to others in 'His Name'.

If there is a God that wants us to bow before Him, I'll pass. He sounds very insecure to me.

P-

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
17 Aug 05

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Everything that exists involves metaphysics. The position that you've just mentioned is materialism - a metaphysical viewpoint.
You are correct, I meant paranormal.

k
Chess Student

Richmond, VA

Moves
17 Aug 05

Ah! So, to you, human beings are no more than automatons. Electrical impulses within the brain transmitted to the muscles providing motion. I still don't understand where you stand as far as man's conciousness. Are you saying that the "incredible multitude of physical reactions" is what makes man? The animal kingdom also has "incredible multitude of physical reactions". Some have even larger brain mass than man. So, would you say that these animals "with brains-larger-than-man" are more concious than man? Are there whales in the forum that would like to comment?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
17 Aug 05

Originally posted by Phlabibit
Red has nothing to do with it. I will now describe MY feeling of God, first time just for you. My beliefs go beyond a written word that was transleted to fit the needs of leaders of the time. My connection with God is the great feeling of pride I get when I help someone, when I am kind to someone... when someone is kind to me. A feeling of understandi ...[text shortened]... here is a God that wants us to bow before Him, I'll pass. He sounds very insecure to me.

P-
Just desribe red, what is so hard?
Kelly

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
17 Aug 05
2 edits

Kelly
Pointy... hope you understand. Can you?

P-

Edit!

Did you read my post? Did you ever consider the people you hurt by saying they are wrong about God and that you are right?

I'm not saying you are wrong, you might get in. That is not for me to decide... but you are throwing away everyone's beliefs when you say only you are right.

Frankly, you are not in a position to know who makes it 'up' and who does not. That's what I find bothersome.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
17 Aug 05

Ah! So, to you, human beings are no more than automatons. Electrical impulses within the brain transmitted to the muscles providing motion. I still don't understand where you stand as far as man's conciousness. Are you saying that the "incredible multitude of physical reactions" is what makes man? The animal kingdom also has "incredible multitude of ...[text shortened]... than-man" are more concious than man? Are there whales in the forum that would like to comment?
Don't be ludicrous, I answered your questions without such strawmen.

What makes "man" is our species, nothing more. Even you must agree with the equivalence of "man" with his biological species.

Is a "dead man" a "man" to you? Why don't you provide your viewpoint instead of playing judge without substance?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
17 Aug 05

Kelly
The hue of the long-wave end of the visible spectrum with a wavelength range of around 630-760 nanometers.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.