What is it to be human?

What is it to be human?

Spirituality

S. Korea

Moves
07 Mar 19

@fmf said
This seems to be an oblique reference to the fact that, with the guidance of my normal compass, I take personal responsibility for my moral decisions and actions, which I do. In the world in which I live, I take full responsibility for the morality of my actions in so far as they govern my behaviour towards other people and to the community.
You take "full responsibility" ... and do whatever pleases you.

And that's your right.

You are a rational person created in the image of God, right.

But, as far as this goes as a precedent for the society, it results in much suffering when this becomes the norm because people, especially the young and the dumb, are incapable of moderating their desires affectively... even when they do have religion.

Thus a form of collective stoicism is needed, and that is best served as a religion.

S. Korea

Moves
07 Mar 19

@fmf said
Our moral compasses are subjective. If one of the things you have absorbed or have been influenced by is a religious doctrine, that is simply part of your "nurture" (environment, experience).

I have also absorbed and have been influenced by religious doctrine and by cultures that are steeped in the influence of religious doctrine, but it's also simply part of my "nurture".
...[text shortened]... are not underpinned by a belief in supernatural causality, it doesn't make your compass "objective".
You still haven't dealt with the core of what is being said.

it does not matter if Joggye-jong Buddhism is not true. The precepts, the systems, everythign can be a lie. But it matters that the people follow it and look to it as an authority, and that they follow the proper teachings and pursue a noble path through life.

You can insert that with any religion.

It is actually destructive to exist in a vacuum. Secular humanism effectively creates a vacuum. The "utilitarian pragmatism" that it is is really just a form of nihilism.

That's the point I am making, and what I am interested in talking about going forward.

F

Moves
07 Mar 19

@philokalia said
You take "full responsibility" ... and do whatever pleases you.
I take full responsibility for doing what I believe is morally right in accordance with my moral compass. If that means I fall foul of my family, or my neighbours, or the community at large, or my colleagues in my workplace, or with law enforcement, or with the courts, and I face the consequences or sanctions that apply or those around me choose to apply, yes, I take full responsibility.

F

Moves
07 Mar 19

@philokalia said
But, as far as this goes as a precedent for the society, it results in much suffering when this becomes the norm because people, especially the young and the dumb, are incapable of moderating their desires affectively... even when they do have religion.
People raising their young to take personal responsibility for the morality of their decisions - and face the consequences - is a good "precedent for the society". This can be done with or without believing in a god or gods.

F

Moves
07 Mar 19

@philokalia said
Thus a form of collective stoicism is needed, and that is best served as a religion.
It is your prerogative to prescribe whatever you believe is best. KellyJay calls it a "north star" and I assume it has something to do with Jesus although he hasn't mentioned Jesus on this thread, to be fair.

F

Moves
07 Mar 19

@philokalia said
It is actually destructive to exist in a vacuum.
Nobody, least of all me, is advocating that we "exist in a vacuum". But I see what you did there. Please read my posts.

F

Moves
07 Mar 19

@philokalia said
You still haven't dealt with the core of what is being said.
I disagree. I think I have dealt with it.

F

Moves
07 Mar 19

@philokalia said
it does not matter if Joggye-jong Buddhism is not true. The precepts, the systems, everythign can be a lie. But it matters that the people follow it and look to it as an authority, and that they follow the proper teachings and pursue a noble path through life.
Nobody is arguing against pursuing "a noble path through life". That is exactly what each person's moral compass is for. And in using it, they draw upon the influences of the authorities and teachings they encounter, the religions they follow, whatever they deduce is "proper". This is the stuff that a moral compass synthesizes.

S. Korea

Moves
07 Mar 19

@fmf said
Nobody, least of all me, is advocating that we "exist in a vacuum". But I see what you did there. Please read my posts.
Geez, do I have to absolutely connect every single dot for you?

The implication is that in a godless world there is no set value that is judged to be the ultimate.

This is a topic we've been over before, FMF!

If you pick up your heals when you walk, you can go faster!

S. Korea

Moves
07 Mar 19

@fmf said
Nobody is arguing against pursuing "a noble path through life". That is exactly what each person's moral compass is for. And in using it, they draw upon the influences of the authorities and teachings they encounter, the religions they follow, whatever they deduce is "proper". This is the stuff that a moral compass synthesizes.
Nobody's individual "moral compass" is a "noble path."

We are born into a fallen world with base desires... And if we ever get to the point of having moral excellence, it comes through the externalization of the moral code.

S. Korea

Moves
07 Mar 19

Now, I would advise you to get more strict with how you are discussing this because we are starting to go in circles.

Outline what you are attacking and attack it, or maybe just make some final post about how you think you did a good job.

I can give you the last word, if you like?

F

Moves
07 Mar 19
1 edit

@philokalia said
Secular humanism effectively creates a vacuum.
Well, you can't force people to be religious. And I doubt you can make people become religious by arguing that the opposite of living religiously is living in a vacuum.

If you believed Turkey was "under threat" from the things you described a few pages back [anarchy and atheism etc.], what would you propose that the nation should do to prevent its people from being atheists or to prevent the norms of Turks from evolving?

F

Moves
07 Mar 19

@philokalia said
Outline what you are attacking and attack it, or maybe just make some final post about how you think you did a good job.
I am not attacking anything. I see myself as describing human nature and the human condition and what a moral compass is, how we get it, and what it's for.

F

Moves
07 Mar 19

@philokalia said
Now, I would advise you to get more strict with how you are discussing this because we are starting to go in circles.
The way I am posting is fine and I am not going in circles. But I see what you did there.

S. Korea

Moves
07 Mar 19

@fmf said
Well, you can't force people to be religious. And I doubt you can make people become religious by arguing that the opposite of living religiously is living in a vacuum.

If you believed Turkey was "under threat" from the things you described a few pages back [anarchy and atheism etc.], what would you propose that the nation should do to prevent its people from being atheists or to prevent the norms of Turks from evolving?
... How can values "evolve" if there is no such thing as progress..?

Or is there such a thing as progress?

Or does evolution not mean "progress?" It just means "change?"

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.