What is it to be human?

What is it to be human?

Spirituality

S. Korea

Moves
07 Mar 19

@fmf said
I have absorbed plenty of norms from Christianity; I have mentioned it repeatedly. Christianity is a key part of my personal narrative and so is a key contributor to my moral compass. Did you not read that in any of my posts?
... And isn't it true that

every human being has an immense amount of value and should not have their dignity devalued?

Isn't it true that we should not live with artificial hierarchies, we should be humble, we shouldn't be arrogant, we should always be forgiving, etc..?

That even the handicapped and the diseased have a special place in our society, and have no less dignity than those who are of sound health and mind...?

Etc.?

You see, you value these things very much, and these are like objective truths to you, because they really are objective truths, and these really are the laws of God brought from heaven by Christ, and without them nothing really makes sense.

This is called the "presuppositional argument."

I figure we should just cut to the chase.

F

Moves
07 Mar 19

@philokalia said
Well, we are the people that, in the midst of great advancements in science and technology, Holocausted & Holodomor'd our way through the twentieth century.

And aren't we now destroying the environemnt at an unprecented rate?

Let it be remembered that, on this day, it was the liberal egalitarian who asked to stop the self-flagellation.
I think there is plenty of empirical evidence to support optimism and plenty of reason to be non-misanthropic rather than misanthropic, so the post that you thought was perhaps not necessary, was necessary I think. Whatever floats your boats. A lot of Christians are fatalistic and defeatist and get succour and confirmation bias from their religious beliefs.

S. Korea

Moves
07 Mar 19

@fmf said
I think there is plenty of empirical evidence to support optimism and plenty of reason to be non-misanthropic rather than misanthropic, so the post that you thought was perhaps not necessary, was necessary I think. Whatever floats your boats. A lot of Christians are fatalistic and defeatist and get succour and confirmation bias from their religious beliefs.
Yeah, you did make a thread about that.

But could you ever say, with a straight face, that our track record in the 20th century was not rather horrible?

The exact thing that propelled so much of our development was our yearning to kill each other better, FMF.

The men who threw minorities in ovens & destroyed half of Europe were the most educated and scientific Germans that had lived up to that point. The men who enslaved half the world up to that point were also the most educated and scientific minds up to that point.

F

Moves
07 Mar 19

@philokalia said
... And isn't it true that

every human being has an immense amount of value and should not have their dignity devalued?

Isn't it true that we should not live with artificial hierarchies, we should be humble, we shouldn't be arrogant, we should always be forgiving, etc..?

That even the handicapped and the diseased have a special place in our society, and h ...[text shortened]... [/i]

This is called the "presuppositional argument."

I figure we should just cut to the chase.
I don't believe Jesus rose from the dead. You talk about " the laws of God brought from heaven by Christ". Well, I don't believe that is what happened, but you can if you want to.

I haven't claimed there are any "objective truths" with regard to what we are talking about. If you think I have, show me the post.

But I don't have any objection to absorbing and synthesizing what the Christian tradition has handed down to us. I will take personal responsibility for whatever effect it has on me in terms of my actions.

F

Moves
07 Mar 19

@philokalia said
But could you ever say, with a straight face, that our track record in the 20th century was not rather horrible?
Why would I say it?

F

Moves
07 Mar 19

@philokalia said
The men who threw minorities in ovens & destroyed half of Europe were the most educated and scientific Germans that had lived up to that point. The men who enslaved half the world up to that point were also the most educated and scientific minds up to that point.
You are pessimistic. I get it. A lot of people here are. It's your prerogative.

F

Moves
07 Mar 19

@philokalia said
Outline what you are attacking and attack it, or maybe just make some final post about how you think you did a good job.
I haven't been "attacking" anything.

S. Korea

Moves
07 Mar 19

@fmf said
You are pessimistic. I get it. A lot of people here are. It's your prerogative.
And just moments ago, in response to this:

You stated that you cannot say that there is any such objective truth.

I assert that there is.

I think that, in reality, to not actively assert this is pessimistic.

Sure, I get it: you do not believe God came to earth.

And ebcause of that, you cannot believe there is objective truth to that statement, yet nothing in your life or understanding of the world will actually make sense without accepting this as a reality.

In short: Existence is rather absurd without a God.

F

Moves
07 Mar 19

@philokalia said

That's right. It's not an "objective truth". My beliefs about human worth and dignity are personal opinions of mine that are the product of my moral compass and they are beliefs that shape my behaviour and decisions.

A related "objective truth" would be this: "some people believe that every human being has an immense amount of value and should not have their dignity devalued"; and another one would be this: "some people do not believe that every human being has an immense amount of value and should not have their dignity devalued".

I believe I am part of the first group and you have said things which suggest you are part of the second group.

Starmer is a liar

More in my profile

Moves
07 Mar 19

It looks like philokalia really wants to have the last word today.

😆

F

Moves
07 Mar 19

@philokalia said
Oh. Gosh. What do you believe that makes me?

F

Moves
07 Mar 19

@philokalia said
And ebcause of that, you [i]cannot believe there is objective truth to that statement
But I don't. So whether I "cannot" is moot.

F

Moves
07 Mar 19

@divegeester said
It looks like philokalia really wants to have the last word today.
I think he may have wanted the word "milquetoast" to stop me in my tracks.

Starmer is a liar

More in my profile

Moves
07 Mar 19

@fmf said
I think he may have wanted the word "milquetoast" to stop me in my tracks.
I’ve noticed that he likes to pull unusual words out of a book he’s read. He’s doing it over in Debates at the moment where he is currently defending his bigotry against homosexuals in describing them as being mentally deranged by claiming they are still created in the image of God.

He is also explaining to No1marauder, a dyed in the wool hard atheist, why I am a heretic.

It’s good stuff.

Starmer is a liar

More in my profile

Moves
07 Mar 19

@philokalia said

I assert that there is.

I think that, in reality, to not actively assert this is pessimistic.

Sure, I get it: you do not believe God ca ...[text shortened]... thout accepting this as a reality.[/i]

For someone who claims to have studied philosophy you are not very good at critical thinking.

Here you are claiming that there is an objective truth about “God coming to earth” when there is absolutely no objective evidence that this happened. Belief and faith are subjective experiences.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.