Why is everything in the Bible true and accurate?

Why is everything in the Bible true and accurate?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Feb 22

@moonbus said
Yes, I have read the list. There is not a scrap of evidence there. Just claims in need of evidence.
Well, as I said, three experts in evaluating evidence, two of whom were atheists, investigated the evidence for Jesus Christ’s Resurrection, became convinced the Resurrection happened and converted to Christianity.

Everyone views and evaluates evidence differently.

You’re obviously entitled to your opinion and I have yet to find an open-minded atheist (at least when it comes to this subject) though I’m sure they exist.

Have a good day πŸ‘πŸ‘

Über-Nerd

Moves
11 Feb 22
1 edit

@pb1022 said
Well, as I said, three experts in evaluating evidence, two of whom were atheists, investigated the evidence for Jesus Christ’s Resurrection, became convinced the Resurrection happened and converted to Christianity.

Everyone views and evaluates evidence differently.

You’re obviously entitled to your opinion and I have yet to find an open-minded atheist (at least when it comes to this subject) though I’m sure they exist.

Have a good day πŸ‘πŸ‘
What evidence? Were artifacts found in that tomb which could be unequivocally traced to Jesus (DNA testing or whatever)?

Even supposing there were good quality hard physical evidence which we can examine here and now, and not just someone's say-so 2,000 years ago, that the body of Jesus and no one else was in that tomb then -- a missing body is still not evidence of a resurrection. There are much more plausible explanations for the disappearance of a body than a miracle.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Feb 22

@moonbus said
What evidence? Were artifacts found in that tomb which could be unequivocally traced to Jesus (DNA testing or whatever)?
Have a look at the Shroud of Turin. That’s pretty interesting.

And no it was not dated to centuries after Jesus Christ’s Resurrection.

A member of the original Shroud team confirmed on camera that the piece of the Shroud taken for carbon dating was taken from a reweave done after the Shroud was damaged in a fire.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Feb 22

@moonbus said

Even supposing there were good quality hard physical evidence which we can examine here and now, and not just someone's say-so 2,000 years ago, that the body of Jesus and no one else was in that tomb then -- a missing body is still not [i]evidence ...[text shortened]... rrection. There are much more plausible explanations for the disappearance of a body than a miracle.
It’s obvious to me that your mind’s made up, and that’s fine.

I have no interest in wasting my time responding.

Believe what you want to believe and I’ll do the same.

F

Moves
11 Feb 22

@pb1022 said
It’s obvious to me that your mind’s made up, and that’s fine.

I have no interest in wasting my time responding.

Believe what you want to believe and I’ll do the same.
In terms of discourse, this is a foetal position.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Feb 22

@fmf said
In terms of discourse, this is a foetal position.
You are entitled to that opinion.

Thank you for your contribution.

ENGLAND

Moves
12 Feb 22
1 edit

@pb1022 said
Not permanently.

And I believe in the Old Testament, the Spirit of God “came upon” or “was upon” a prophet and was not “in” the prophet as is the case with Christians in the New Testament.

Can you supply a few verses to demonstrate your position?
Sure.

Concerning this salvation, the prophets who foretold the grace to come to you searched and investigated carefully, trying to determine the time and setting to which the Spirit of Christ in them was pointing when He predicted the sufferings of Christ and the glories to follow.

1 Peter 1:10-11

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
12 Feb 22

@divegeester said
Bump for KellyJay.

Ok let me see if I can word this in such a way that you can’t sidestep my point, it’s my bad, not you….

You have claimed that some translations of the Bible are better than others, right. Now what I m trying to get at is which criteria you use to make that differentiation.

You’ve replied “study” I.e. you are telling me you have studied all th ...[text shortened]... the scriptures mean.

So would you care to expand on your translation assessment criteria please?
I'm not sure what you are looking for unless you say that only the interpreter gets to decide what was written, not the writer of the text. Even here and now, you want me to explain something, what is my meaning, so I assume you realize that as writers, we can have intent and meaning, and that is what I'm looking for; I don't want to read into it something that isn't there so I'm attempting to come at it from as many ways possible if there is a chance I could do that, miss the writter's point for one I want to insert for reasons not implied by the writer.

ENGLAND

Moves
12 Feb 22

@kellyjay said
I'm not sure what you are looking for unless you say that only the interpreter gets to decide what was written, not the writer of the text. Even here and now, you want me to explain something, what is my meaning, so I assume you realize that as writers, we can have intent and meaning, and that is what I'm looking for; I don't want to read into it something that isn't there s ...[text shortened]... ld do that, miss the writter's point for one I want to insert for reasons not implied by the writer.
I’m not “looking for” anything, except perhaps some honesty from yourself that even though you claim that you “study” all these versions of the bible and read all the commentaries etc, that you still prefer one translation over another (I.e. the one on your nightstand) because to your way of thinking it mostly closely aligns with you way of reading, understanding and supporting your own interpretation of doctrine.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
12 Feb 22

@divegeester said
I’m not “looking for” anything, except perhaps some honesty from yourself that even though you claim that you “study” all these versions of the bible and read all the commentaries etc, that you still prefer one translation over another (I.e. the one on your nightstand) because to your way of thinking it mostly closely aligns with you way of reading, understanding and supporting your own interpretation of doctrine.
Perhaps I misspoke, but please point me to the quote. Where did you see me say I prefer one translation over another? As for the rest of your statement, I explained what I do, but you don't see it; I'm not going to repeat myself trying to explain something to you, you refuse to see.

ENGLAND

Moves
12 Feb 22
1 edit

@kellyjay said
Perhaps I misspoke, but please point me to the quote. Where did you see me say I prefer one translation over another?
Yes someone else I was chatting to when you first posted “really?” a couple of days ago also thought you would try to hide behind “preferred”, or you not writing the actual word, as a way of dodging the point … which is that you DO have a preferred translation and the reason you do is how I’ve explained it.

So ok I’ll play along with your casual evasion…

So the translations which you claim are better than others you DON’T prefer them?

ENGLAND

Moves
12 Feb 22

@kellyjay said
As for the rest of your statement, I explained what I do, but you don't see it; I'm not going to repeat myself trying to explain something to you, you refuse to see.
Oh I see it, I see exactly what you are trying to do. Which is to present yourself as being a “studier” of various translations who has read all the “commentaries” and has found some translations to be “better than others”…

But you then realised you were on thin ice because you can’t provide examples or academic rigour to support this claim and you’re smart enough to realise that inevitably your “preference” of bible will come down to personal choice… so you’re hiding behind NOT writing the word “preferred” right?

Just be honest KellyJay.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
12 Feb 22

@pb1022 said
Have a look at the Shroud of Turin. That’s pretty interesting.
πŸ˜†

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
12 Feb 22
1 edit

@divegeester said
Oh I see it, I see exactly what you are trying to do. Which is to present yourself as being a “studier” of various translations who has read all the “commentaries” and has found some translations to be “better than others”…

But you then realised you were on thin ice because you can’t provide examples or academic rigour to support this claim and you’re smart enough to r ...[text shortened]... choice… so you’re hiding behind NOT writing the word “preferred” right?

Just be honest KellyJay.
Those that stay true to the original text as the goal of translation, and some don't. You can choose to belittle my intelligence, and honesty; it is what you do.

ENGLAND

Moves
12 Feb 22
1 edit