Immunity From Timeout While On Vacation

General

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
31 Aug 06

Originally posted by Gatecrasher
You obviously don't read too well, because that's exactly what I'm saying.
Oh sorry, maybe I worded my post wrong:
You sound like one of those crazy preacher-men, standing half naked on street corners, screaming about Armageddon.

Your objections have been noted. Relax. Let's see what happens.

DC
The Mighty

Rocky Mountains

Moves
31 Aug 06

Originally posted by JDK2
How exactly Derfel? I thought the current system was open to abuse?
Watch and see how many people start complaining because their opponent gets 4 extra weeks in a lost position.

And to answer your question, war is war.

I
Dadohalic

Finger tip talking.

Moves
31 Aug 06

Originally posted by Crowley
Oh sorry, maybe I worded my post wrong:
You sound like one of those crazy preacher-men, standing half naked on street corners, screaming about Armageddon.

Your objections have been noted. Relax. Let's see what happens.
Hot off the www.Notimeforchess.com press:

Vote # 13 thread slows and dares to die on page # 13

Current polling:
1109 yes
504 no

PoPeYe

This is embarrasking

Moves
31 Aug 06
1 edit

There is also time for the Site Admins to realise how poorly formulated this poll was in the first place.

It may be called a vote, but in reality it is a poll.

Remember, this is not a democracy, its a business, and any new measure that is likely to be bitterly unpopular with a signifcant portion of the membership is not likely to be adopted.

T as spawned, and come back later on with a proposal that will be more universally acceptable.
I read your edit and agreed. If it is only a poll and not a vote then why would it be necessary to exclude non-subs. I have a proposal. How about an additional poll/vote for the non-subs and this time when it is sent out to them ask the question;

" Would you be unhappy if players were immune from timeout while on vacation for a limited period (e.g. 4 weeks per year)?"

N

The sky

Moves
31 Aug 06

Originally posted by Derfel Cadarn
Watch and see how many people start complaining because their opponent gets 4 extra weeks in a lost position.
How many people will stop playing for four weeks in all their games just to annoy an opponent in one game in which they are in a lost position?

s

Moves
31 Aug 06
1 edit

A vacation "bank" is much more acceptable in the absense of timebanks. But I would like to see a solution that increases the likelyhood of games finishing earlier rather than later.

A timebank only approach could also serve this purpose. Instead of 3/7, 7/14, etc, every game has a limited timebank. For example a 6 month game would allow each player ...[text shortened]... ey get back.

There will be no need for a vacation flags, and games cannot drag on forever.
And if you were playing this game with 180 days, and realised you were losing after say 20 days, would you wait 160 days just to annoy your opponent? It seems to me that is what is being suggested elsewhere on the large number of threads that are discussing this issue. (Good stuff too)

I'm damn sure the system people here are not as daft as seems to be implied in some of these posts....

Your Eminence

Scunthorpe

Moves
31 Aug 06

Originally posted by cashthetrash
I read your edit and agreed. If it is only a poll and not a vote then why would it be necessary to exclude non-subs. I have a proposal. How about an additional poll/vote for the non-subs and this time when it is sent out to them ask the question;

" Would you be unhappy if players were immune from timeout while on vacation for a limited period (e.g. 4 weeks per year)?"
How about nonsubs who care a lot about this issue buy memberships and then vote on it?

B
Non-Subscriber

RHP IQ

Moves
31 Aug 06

Originally posted by Moldy Crow
How about nonsubs who care a lot about this issue buy memberships and then vote on it?
Don't be stupid.

A
D_U_N_E

Arrakis

Moves
31 Aug 06

Originally posted by Nordlys
Hm, if the vacation bank wouldn't apply to tournaments, it wouldn't make much sense to me. I think it is especially important in tournaments. It's easy to avoid starting a 1-day timeout game if you know you'll be on holidays within the next two months or so, but a 1-day timeout tournament could easily last a year or more. So if you want to take two we ...[text shortened]... ear, you either have to settle for slower tournaments or you have to risk getting timed out.
I agree completely.

A
D_U_N_E

Arrakis

Moves
31 Aug 06

Originally posted by Bowmann
Don't be stupid.
Hey Bowmann! I see you finally subscribed! Cool!

B
Non-Subscriber

RHP IQ

Moves
31 Aug 06
1 edit

Originally posted by arrakis
Nothing to do with me, Arskrak.

Your Eminence

Scunthorpe

Moves
31 Aug 06

Originally posted by Bowmann
Don't be stupid.
Thank you for the insightful addition to the debate.

Now go get stuffed.

C

Argentina

Moves
31 Aug 06

Originally posted by arrakis
Cagamos, hermano... 🙂

s

Moves
31 Aug 06

Originally posted by IM14u2NV
[b]Remeber why you are here people. TO SKULL PEOPLE!

change your vote before it is to late.

Go vote NO!

I was concerned my post was going to get lost thank you for keeping it alive.[/b]

Your Eminence

Scunthorpe

Moves
31 Aug 06

Originally posted by snowinscotland
Hehehe

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.