Napoleonic Empires: Game Thread

Napoleonic Empires: Game Thread

General

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
03 Apr 06

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
It seems that the way the game is set up, instant massive invasions across the English Channel are the way to go. It used to be that England was doing the invading, but I both didn't know that and was hit with nerfs so I suffered from France doing the invading.

What was going on in Napoleon's time? Were there ever cross Channel invasions? If not, how should the game be changed to make it more historically accurate?
Only someone in your predicament would whine about historical accuracy. Let me be England next time and I'll show you how to win a war from both sides of the channel.

I can do that!

tinyurl.com/34hnv22f

Moves
03 Apr 06

Originally posted by rwingett
Only someone in your predicament would whine about historical accuracy. Let me be England next time and I'll show you how to win a war from both sides of the channel.
I'm not dead yet! The war will still be won! By me!

d

Canberra, Australia

Moves
04 Apr 06

It seems that the way the game is set up, instant massive invasions across the English Channel are the way to go. It used to be that England was doing the invading, but I both didn't know that and was hit with nerfs so I suffered from France doing the invading.

What was going on in Napoleon's time? Were there ever cross Channel invasions? If not, how should the game be changed to make it more historically accurate?
I think if the game were being played by experienced players (which none of us are), France's neighbours would never have allied with her. With merry old England going, going, goooone, France will become a venerable powerhouse, which is hardly a comfortable thought for those in close proximity.

During revolutionary times I seem to remember England landed troops once or twice to aid the Royalists, but until Napoleon buggered up by invading Spain English troops didn't find their way onto Napoleonic continental Europe. And, despite some fantastic plans, France never managed to set foot on English soil.

Major Bone

On yer tail ...

Moves
04 Apr 06

Originally posted by dyl
I think if the game were being played by experienced players (which none of us are), France's neighbours would never have allied with her. With merry old England going, going, goooone, France will become a venerable powerhouse, which is hardly a comfortable thought for those in close proximity.

During revolutionary times I seem to remember England landed troo ...[text shortened]... l Europe. And, despite some fantastic plans, France never managed to set foot on English soil.
France lost the battle of Trafalgar in 1805 which scuppered its invasionary plans. But the plan was real and an expeditionary force actually managed to disembark at Fishguard, Pembrokeshire, in 1797:
http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/battles/c_defense.html
http://www.nmm.ac.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.19983

Of course, if OUR England had managed his navy better, he wouldn't have been in the pickle he is.

I can do that!

tinyurl.com/34hnv22f

Moves
04 Apr 06

Originally posted by buffalobill
France lost the battle of Trafalgar in 1805 which scuppered its invasionary plans. But the plan was real and an expeditionary force actually managed to disembark at Fishguard, Pembrokeshire, in 1797:

Of course, if OUR England had managed his navy better, he wouldn't have been in the pickle he is.
😞

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
04 Apr 06

Originally posted by dyl

During revolutionary times I seem to remember England landed troo ...[text shortened]... l Europe. And, despite some fantastic plans, France never managed to set foot on English soil.
If you're so worried about France, then why won't you give me an alliance?

d

Canberra, Australia

Moves
05 Apr 06

Originally posted by rwingett
If you're so worried about France, then why won't you give me an alliance?
I, Murat, worry about nothing!

d

Canberra, Australia

Moves
05 Apr 06

Certainly the plans were real. After Trafalgar, however, the ideas did become rather fanciful (a channel tunnel, hot air balloons?).

I hadn't known about the expeditionary force. Interesting.

I can do that!

tinyurl.com/34hnv22f

Moves
05 Apr 06

Originally posted by dyl

Wait, so I can blame my disasters on the incompetence of others?!?

Between these horrific nerfs and the noobishness of Spain, Bavaria and Sweden, no amount of brilliance on the part of King George could have kept England alive. Might as well have given me Poland. The fault is entirely elsewhere than on me.

d

Canberra, Australia

Moves
05 Apr 06

Wait, so I can blame my disasters on the incompetence of others?!?

Between these horrific nerfs and the noobishness of Spain, Bavaria and Sweden, no amount of brilliance on the part of King George could have kept England alive. Might as well have given me Poland. The fault is entirely elsewhere than on me.
Arraying your fleet correctly may also have been helpful. 😉

I can do that!

tinyurl.com/34hnv22f

Moves
05 Apr 06

Originally posted by dyl
Arraying your fleet correctly may also have been helpful. 😉
I already blamed that on my former Admiral.

Major Bone

On yer tail ...

Moves
05 Apr 06

I already blamed that on my former Admiral.
Ah, the late Bloody Stupid Johnson - never hire a gardener for an admiral.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
05 Apr 06

I'm curious to see what AustrianBot does; will he continue his rampage against the Ottomans? Or will he attempt to retake the provinces Prussia moved into? Or will he simply stand in place and build? An active Bot is surely more interesting than the ones in the MD game.

Major Bone

On yer tail ...

Moves
05 Apr 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
I'm curious to see what AustrianBot does; will he continue his rampage against the Ottomans? Or will he attempt to retake the provinces Prussia moved into? Or will he simply stand in place and build? An active Bot is surely more interesting than the ones in the MD game.
What rampage? The Bavarians took the knocks last turn.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
05 Apr 06
1 edit

What rampage? The Bavarians took the knocks last turn.
BB: The Austrian Bot not only retook a province but reinforced his other city from Croatia. So, yes, the Ottoman army took a knock. This is annoying, but at least the Bot is making a fight of it, unlike the French in MD.

From Page 23

EDIT: I don't think the Bavarians lost any troops in Styria; I think they withdrew everything back to Swabia.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.