Napoleonic Empires: Game Thread

Napoleonic Empires: Game Thread

General

I can do that!

tinyurl.com/34hnv22f

Moves
19 Apr 06
1 edit

Apparently, the brand new United States Navy has been raiding Algeria and the Ottomans since 1801 (turn 5). Looks like King George's "reinforcements from the colonies" went the wrong way at Granada.

When the U.S. became a country it had little in the way of a navy to protect its merchant ships, so in 1784, Congress appropriated $60,000 as tribute to the Barbary states. But continued attacks prompted the building of the United States Navy, including one of America's most famous ships, the USS Philadelphia, leading to a series of wars along the North African coast, starting in 1801. It was not until 1815 that naval victories ended tribute payments by the U.S., although some European nations continued annual payments until the 1830s.

The United States Marine Corps actions in these wars led to the line, "to the shores of Tripoli" in the opening of the Marine Hymn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbary_Pirate

Major Bone

On yer tail ...

Moves
19 Apr 06

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
That's long been one of my favorite songs. That and "People Are Strange". I was a depressed teenager.
Mourning Sad Morning - Free
Now that was music to slash your wrists by. Dirges always get to me.

Sunday morning I rise
And I stand to face a new dawn
Sunday morning a new day is born

Such a long way to go
And so little time to get there
Such a long way to go
But I want you to remember
All the love we used to know
Think of me sometimes
My love.

Morning morning, sad day
Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Morning morning, sad day
Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

In the evening I sit
And my thoughts they turn to you
In the evening I think of my home
And I need you to remember
All the love we used to know
Think of me sometimes
My love

Morning morning, sad day
Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Morning morning, sad day
Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Mmmmm....

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
20 Apr 06

Maps are done.

d

Canberra, Australia

Moves
20 Apr 06
1 edit

England survives another turn, Algeria is reduced to two provinces (and are given a nifty change in colour schemes), and lo and behold, the Turks and the Russians come to blows.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
20 Apr 06

Originally posted by dyl
England survives another turn, Algeria is reduced to two provinces (and are given a nifty change in colour schemes), and lo and behold, the Turks and the Russians come to blows.
and lo and behold, the Turks and the Russians come to blows.

... and Sweden and Prussia declare war on Spain.

I can do that!

tinyurl.com/34hnv22f

Moves
20 Apr 06

Originally posted by dyl
This will be the last one I think. I have no tricks left...or do I?!??

d

Canberra, Australia

Moves
20 Apr 06

Originally posted by Halitose
[b]and lo and behold, the Turks and the Russians come to blows.

... and Sweden and Prussia declare war on Spain.[/b]
And so the Prussian/Swedish alliance rolls on.

d

Canberra, Australia

Moves
20 Apr 06

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
This will be the last one I think. I have no tricks left...or do I?!??
You've given Napoleon more than one grey hair, I imagine. Pull a Houdini this season and you'll reduce him to a complete nervous wreck.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
20 Apr 06

[b]and lo and behold, the Turks and the Russians come to blows.

... and Sweden and Prussia declare war on Spain.[/b]
News of Spanish atrocities in England caused an uproar in Sweden and Prussia. Plus Spain's cowardly action in abandoning it's Algerian ally disgusted both King David and I. Remove all ships and troops from England and Ireland and return to Iberia immediately. Otherwise the power of United Germany and the Kingdom of Sweden will smash your pitiful forces.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
20 Apr 06

This week's Power Ratings:

1. Prussia 1
2. France 2
3. Russia 3
4. Ottomans 4
5. Spain 6
6. Sweden 6
7. Austria 8
8. Naples 7
9. Algeria 9
10. England 10

Eliminated: Bavaria

Algeria didn't move again and is now a Bot. Looks like the Neapolitian fleet took an unnecessary pounding eliminating the Emir's ships. Prussia has re-installed King Orfeo to the Polish throne. Next week looks like it may be really interesting in both the East and West.

d

Canberra, Australia

Moves
20 Apr 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
Looks like the Neapolitian fleet took an unnecessary pounding eliminating the Emir's ships.
5 SOTL and a gun galley lost. My proclamation makes me look a little silly now.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
20 Apr 06

News of Spanish atrocities in England caused an uproar in Sweden and Prussia. Plus Spain's cowardly action in abandoning it's Algerian ally disgusted both King David and I. Remove all ships and troops from England and Ireland and return to Iberia immediately. Otherwise the power of United Germany and the Kingdom of Sweden will smash your pitiful forces.
Plus Spain's cowardly action in abandoning it's Algerian ally disgusted both King David and I.

Algeria made a hotheaded assault against my better judgment and advice and paid for it. Is it so wrong after having told a man to wait for the bungee cord before he jumps to watch him plummet to his doom (instead of jumping with him)?

P.S. I'll have a scathing proclamation prepared for you. 😛😵

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
20 Apr 06

[b]Plus Spain's cowardly action in abandoning it's Algerian ally disgusted both King David and I.

Algeria made a hotheaded assault against my better judgment and advice and paid for it. Is it so wrong after having told a man to wait for the bungee cord before he jumps to watch him plummet to his doom (instead of jumping with him)?

P.S. I'll have a scathing proclamation prepared for you. 😛😵[/b]
Aren't you forgetting that you attacked Sardinia at the same time?

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
20 Apr 06

Aren't you forgetting that you attacked Sardinia at the same time?
The King of Naples was given due warning of my commitment to Algeria to take Sardinia long before he even held it.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
20 Apr 06
1 edit

The King of Naples was given due warning of my commitment to Algeria to take Sardinia long before he even held it.
It was obvious that you were an untrustworthy ally and that is why I was ultimately not interested in France's plans for everybody else to go to war with everybody else with the promise that eventually you and France would get around to helping their "allies" out. No thanks. It was also obvious that allowing Algeria's forces to be destroyed was not very smart IF France and Spain really ever had any intention of going to war with Naples and the Ottomans like Napoleon said you were (why let them get stronger?). You and your master intended to turn on United Germany and Sweden when our back was turned; well you won't get the chance.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.