F

Moves
05 Mar 19

@kellyjay said
What one on page 2?
The one where there is a little box and in it it has:

@kellyjay said
What is your view of humanity?

And in the box under it, there is my answer.

That one.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
05 Mar 19

@fmf said
I enjoyed Sunday especially for some reason.

I trust you enjoyed writing your 37 posts too.
🙂

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
05 Mar 19

@fmf said
I think our humanity ~ whether we be theists or atheists ~ draws on the fact we are evidently endowed with a capacity for projecting ourselves in abstract ways and also we are affected and influenced and shaped by the abstract projections of other people.

Added to this, we clearly have individual spirits ~ perhaps the same thing that most religionists refer to as a "soul" alt ...[text shortened]... convince themselves they have a shot at everlasting life, I am not saying ‘This life is not enough’.
I am unclear how we are or were evidently endowed with abilities, without one or something that could do that. Projecting anything isn’t a material modification.

F

Moves
05 Mar 19

@kellyjay said
I am unclear how we are or were evidently endowed with abilities, without one or something that could do that.
Well, as you know, because I have said it umpteen times before, it could have been a creator being.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
05 Mar 19

@fmf said
Well, as you know, because I have said it umpteen times before, it could have been a creator being.
You can give credit wherever you deemed it should go. The idea something that isn’t materialistic can be given to humanity, seems to scream something other than an unguided blind processes did something out of the materialistic universe.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
05 Mar 19

@secondson said
Don't be silly. That's a terrible example to use as a rebuff.

Everyone knows that a "week" means 7 years. Why in the world would it say "as a week". It's a simple idiom like many others in the scriptures.

There are numerous idioms, allegories, metaphors and symbolisms used throughout scripture, and anyone that can exegete correctly knows they must consider the context and compare scripture with scripture to arrive at a sound interpretation.
Now we went from "a tree is a tree is a tree" to "exege[sis]". We're coming up in the world, at least.

F

Moves
05 Mar 19

@kellyjay said
You can give credit wherever you deemed it should go. The idea something that isn’t materialistic can be given to humanity, seems to scream something other than an unguided blind processes did something out of the materialistic universe.
It could be because of a creator entity or being or it could be simply the way our species evolved.

Seeing as I have no reason to believe such a creator being has given us any definition or explanation, or instructions, or threats or promises, it's moot for me.

Does your personal opinion about "unguided blind processes" mean that you can't think of anything else to say about my brief takes on what it is to be human, the worth of a human, and on humanity in general?

F

Moves
05 Mar 19
1 edit

@kellyjay said
The idea something that isn’t materialistic can be given to humanity, seems to scream something other than an unguided blind processes did something out of the materialistic universe.
The capacity for abstraction - the ability to witness and act upon our unique narratives - and the moral compass that guides those acts - might or might not have been "given to humanity".

But I think we can still examine questions like "What does it mean to be human?", "Is there a common worth we all share?" and "What is your view of humanity?" even if no one knows for sure.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
05 Mar 19
4 edits

@fmf said
It could be because of a creator entity or being or it could be simply the way our species evolved.

Seeing as I have no reason to believe such a creator being has given us any definition or explanation, or instructions, or threats or promises, it's moot for me.

Does your personal opinion about "unguided blind processes" mean that you can't think of anything else to say about my brief takes on what it is to be human, the worth of a human, and on humanity in general?
I'm not really interested in the what you think a creator has given with definitions, explanations, instructions, threats, or promises so you don't have to concern yourself answering for those things. What you did suggest was really the only thing I asked about, no need to add to that question. I'm also not interested in what could have been, you picked words that carry a meaning beyond evolutionary theory as far as I can tell. If you have some grasp of how material that is once dead, became alive, then became aware to the point of having the"... capacity for projecting ourselves in abstract ways" I'm interested in hearing about that! What combination of chemicals over time could produce such a thing?

F

Moves
05 Mar 19

@kellyjay said
I'm not really interested in the what a creator has given with definitions, explanations, instructions, threats, or promises
In your case, my words here are referring to your Bible.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
05 Mar 19

@fmf said
In your case, my words here are referring to your Bible.
Not part of this discussion unless you make it so.

F

Moves
05 Mar 19

@kellyjay said
If you have some grasp of how material that is once dead, became alive, then became aware to the point of having the"... capacity for projecting ourselves in abstract ways" I'm interested in hearing about that!
Are you unable to discuss our common humanness with me if you and I don't agree on the "how material that is once dead, became alive" issue?

F

Moves
05 Mar 19

@kellyjay said
Not part of this discussion unless you make it so.
Our humanness could be because of a creator entity but I have no reason to believe such a creator being has given us any definition or explanation. So, if we are to find some common ground in talking about our common humanness, it would have to be without having to get into your religious beliefs or getting into a discussion about evolutionary science.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
05 Mar 19

@fmf said
Are you unable to discuss our common humanness with me if you and I don't agree on the "how material that is once dead, became alive" issue?
Sure, and I picked a part of your statement and I'm trying to get you to tell me the what, where, why, and how when it comes to "...capacity for projecting ourselves in abstract ways" What was the mechanism that did this? If we are all built this way according to your views, what lead you to them? How do you justify this as something important and why do it matter with respect to our common humanity? If it is an evolutionary process responsible what lead you to that conclusion?

F

Moves
05 Mar 19

@kellyjay said
What combination of chemicals over time could produce such a thing?
I don't know. But - supernatural cause or no supernatural cause - what about our humanness? Do you agree with this for example: I believe our each and every humanness is the accumulation of billions of unique and almost limitlessly complex personal narratives and moral compasses, which in tandem make us individuals, and "humanity" is all of us interacting with each other as we navigate the journey of life.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.