Napoleonic Empires: Game Thread

Napoleonic Empires: Game Thread

General

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
02 Jun 06

Originally posted by dyl
You asked which possibility was more plausible, didn't you? Unless you're willing to stab Sweden in the back, the other option wins by default.

Edit: I presume the answer to the question "Would you consider betraying your nephew?" is no.
Define "stab in the back". To me that means attacking another realm which you were previously allied with. Under that definition (the most reasonable one), I don't need to "stab anybody in the back" to defeat the motley coalition that is presently fighting, and losing to, the Alliance.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
02 Jun 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
Why would Russia ally with another major power (putting it in the same situation vis-a-vis victory conditions) when the Ottomans have about 1/2 the Gold value of Prussia and a much smaller army and fleet? Their chances of victory are far higher maintaining their present alliance; between the two of us we need only 132 more Gold province value, while wit ...[text shortened]... the Ottomans they would need 288. Your proposal makes about as much sense as scuttling a fleet.
Your proposal makes about as much sense as scuttling a fleet.

I'm about to lose most of my territories. Ships give a 1/3 gold return and I lose a bit of weight with the running costs. It might seem ludicrous to you, but why keep a massive fleet anchored in the harbour (and pay a hefty upkeep) where an even larger fleet waits outside with rich Prussian aristocracy who can't resist "ship of the line" at half price bargains.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
02 Jun 06

Which is a more plausible winning coalition:

A) Ottomans and Russia: OR

B) Prussia and Russia

?????

And why do Naples and Spain suddenly care soooooooooooo much?
We care a lot that we could possible drive a rift between the northern alliance. 😛

Has Sweden been informed that even though they fought faithfully alongside Prussia, they won't be considered a friend when the winning declaration is made?

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
02 Jun 06

Originally posted by Halitose
We care a lot that we could possible drive a rift between the northern alliance. 😛

Has Sweden been informed that even though they fought faithfully alongside Prussia, they won't be considered a friend when the winning declaration is made?
Sweden is No1's 2nd account in the game. He's running both realms, or he may as well be.

Oops, did I say that? 😳

Major Bone

On yer tail ...

Moves
02 Jun 06

Originally posted by rwingett
Sweden is No1's 2nd account in the game. He's running both realms, or he may as well be.

Oops, did I say that? 😳
Well, it's kind of like a marriage and we know who's wearing the pants in the house.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
02 Jun 06

Originally posted by buffalobill
Well, it's kind of like a marriage and we know who's wearing the pants in the house.
I wonder if the Swedish King gets to do anything without clearing it first with uncle Prussia. King David probably runs the drafts of his proclamations by him for approval as well.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
02 Jun 06

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
02 Jun 06
1 edit

Oops, did I say that? 😳
Unlike you, Rob, I don't cheat and/or benefit from cheating. Puffito1 is certainly not my second account (we both played in the New York State Open OTB last month). Nor has he done anything in this game but closely coordinate his movements with his allies (as I do with Russia as well where we both have forces). He has not transferred a single piece of gold nor has he turned over any provinces to me (as Spain as done to both you and Naples). Stop your crying and cheap shot accusations and make up the map like a good deposed Emperor.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
02 Jun 06

Sweden is aware of the victory conditions. There is nothing to prevent Sweden from being part of a winning coalition with Prussia or Russia. Whenever two of the Alliance have enough to declare, they can do so. I personally would not attempt to block such a declaration. However, we still have quite a way to go before we reach that point though I suspect Sweden's gold province value is going to increase significantly in the near future (it went up 26 last season alone).

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
03 Jun 06

Sweden is aware of the victory conditions. There is nothing to prevent Sweden from being part of a winning coalition with Prussia or Russia. Whenever two of the Alliance have enough to declare, they can do so. I personally would not attempt to block such a declaration. However, we still have quite a way to go before we reach that point though I suspect S ...[text shortened]... value is going to increase significantly in the near future (it went up 26 last season alone).
You seem to be missing the gravity of this catch 22: I don't think Prussia or Russia is going to be overjoyed when Sweden declares victory with the other. Why be part of an alliance when you're gonna be sidelined when victory is being declared?

My prediction: the Northern alliance will soon turn on itself.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
03 Jun 06

Unlike you, Rob, I don't cheat and/or benefit from cheating. Puffito1 is certainly not my second account (we both played in the New York State Open OTB last month). Nor has he done anything in this game but closely coordinate his movements with his allies (as I do with Russia as well where we both have forces). He has not transferred a single piece of go ...[text shortened]... ). Stop your crying and cheap shot accusations and make up the map like a good deposed Emperor.
Wouldn't it be pleasant if we could just play the game without all of us constantly accusing each other of cheating? Alas, it doesn't appear to be possible.

Maps are done, by the way.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
03 Jun 06

You seem to be missing the gravity of this catch 22: I don't think Prussia or Russia is going to be overjoyed when Sweden declares victory with the other. Why be part of an alliance when you're gonna be sidelined when victory is being declared?

My prediction: the Northern alliance will soon turn on itself.
There is no solution for your supposed "catch-22"; any single member of the Alliance who changed sides would have the same problem. Your side has the same problem, but as you are losing you don't seem to be too concerned about it.

I predict that your prediction is wrong as no member of the Alliance can logically benefit from turning on any of the others.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
03 Jun 06

Wouldn't it be pleasant if we could just play the game without all of us constantly accusing each other of cheating? Alas, it doesn't appear to be possible.

Maps are done, by the way.
Since you were the one accusing me of using a second account, this post is the height of hypocrisy.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
03 Jun 06

[b]Your proposal makes about as much sense as scuttling a fleet.

I'm about to lose most of my territories. Ships give a 1/3 gold return and I lose a bit of weight with the running costs. It might seem ludicrous to you, but why keep a massive fleet anchored in the harbour (and pay a hefty upkeep) where an even larger fleet waits outside with rich Prussian aristocracy who can't resist "ship of the line" at half price bargains.[/b]
Far be it for me to criticize your "strategy", but if you felt your fleet was a liability you could have at least sent your warships into battle and inflicted some losses on your enemies.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
03 Jun 06

I've been lax and my internet access has been a bit limited lately, so I haven't posted the Power Ratings for the last two turns. here they are first for the prior season:

1. Prussia 1
2. Spain 4
3. Naples 2
4. Russia 3
5. Ottomans 5
6. Austria 6
7. Sweden 7
8. France 8
9. Algeria 9

Eliminated: Bavaria, England

And now the up to date Power Ratings:

1. Prussia 1
2. Naples 3
3. Russia 4
4. Ottomans 5
5. Spain 2
6. Sweden 7
7. Austria 6
8. France 8
9. Algeria 9

Eliminated: Bavaria, England

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.