Napoleonic Empires: Game Thread

General

I can do that!

tinyurl.com/34hnv22f

Moves
11 Jun 06

Originally posted by dyl
Crikey! You're an exasperating fellow.

Let's approach this in a different way. What did I promise you? Absolutely nothing. I only assured you I would do what I could to save you, and I bloody did. I broke my alliance with the French, tarnishing my relations there, and I attempted to sound Spain out for a possible alliance against Napoleon (no go). The only ...[text shortened]... oody liar? Dear me, you will need to relax a little if you ever wish to enjoy this game.
I enjoyed it tremendously. You seem to be the one getting irritated.

d

Canberra, Australia

Moves
11 Jun 06

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
I enjoyed it tremendously. You seem to be the one getting irritated.
I'm hung over.

I can do that!

tinyurl.com/34hnv22f

Moves
11 Jun 06

Originally posted by dyl
I'm hung over.
I'm sorry to hear that 🙁.

I can do that!

tinyurl.com/34hnv22f

Moves
11 Jun 06

Originally posted by dyl
Crikey! You're an exasperating fellow.

Let's approach this in a different way. What did I promise you? Absolutely nothing. I only assured you I would do what I could to save you, and I bloody did. I broke my alliance with the French, tarnishing my relations there, and I attempted to sound Spain out for a possible alliance against Napoleon (no go). The only ...[text shortened]... oody liar? Dear me, you will need to relax a little if you ever wish to enjoy this game.
How much gobbling you think France was going to be doing while getting smashed by Prussia?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
11 Jun 06
2 edits

How much gobbling you think France was going to be doing while getting smashed by Prussia?
His "good ally" France was, at the same time, attempting to convince King David and I to attack Naples!

I saw nothing inevitable about Sweden, Prussia and a few Russian troops and ships being able to defeat France, Spain and Naples in the West. The French erred badly in allowing their fleet in the Channel to be destroyed thus stranding 4000 CS of troops in England (the Spanish failed to reinforce it as well). And our opponents have failed to adequately coordinate their movements; they have always had superior ground forces in number. Basically, they have been outgeneralled.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
11 Jun 06

Originally posted by dyl
It wasn't a matter of guessing wrongly. Spain and I snatched Thuringia successfully, but whilst my troops nimbly skipped back out, their Spanish brothers became a little preoccupied with the local women.

I wouldn't count it as a battle, considering that the men you were facing weren't even wearing pants.
You have an odd way of measuring "success"; Thuringia is in Prussian hands, is it not?

I can do that!

tinyurl.com/34hnv22f

Moves
11 Jun 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
His "good ally" France was, at the same time, attempting to convince King David and I to attack Naples!

I saw nothing inevitable about Sweden, Prussia and a few Russian troops and ships being able to defeat France, Spain and Naples in the West. The French erred badly in allowing their fleet in the Channel to be destroyed thus stranding 4000 CS of ...[text shortened]... hey have always had superior ground forces in number. Basically, they have been outgeneralled.
No, but it would have been inevitable if it were Sweden, Prussia, a few Russian troops, Naples, the Ottomans, and a battered England.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
12 Jun 06

No, but it would have been inevitable if it were Sweden, Prussia, a few Russian troops, Naples, the Ottomans, and a battered England.
All of France and most of Spain is now in Prussian and Swedish hands. Spain and Naples have managed to wrest a few provinces from us in what used to be Bavarian territory, but their forces there are now outnumbered and will soon be surrounded. The French fleet is bottled up in London and soon Italy itself will be threatened from both the east and west.

I don't know what I would have done if Naples went to war with France; if it was before Bavaria fell, I would have remained neutral. It took me a couple turns to rebuild my forces after wiping out the Bavarians. Naples was always hostile to Prussia, though, when Sweden allied with Naples after reaching Switzerland, King Joachim insisted that Prussian troops not be allowed to defend that Swedish province. Given this attitude, I cannot say for sure I would have helped Naples against France. On the other hand, Rob has shown himself as an utterly untrustworthy ally, so I doubt if I would have joined him in a war unless he moved his main forces well away from Prussian territory. So, it's hard to say what would have happened.

d

Canberra, Australia

Moves
12 Jun 06
1 edit

I saw nothing inevitable about Sweden, Prussia and a few Russian troops and ships being able to defeat France, Spain and Naples in the West. The French erred badly in allowing their fleet in the Channel to be destroyed thus stranding 4000 CS of ...[text shortened]... hey have always had superior ground forces in number. Basically, they have been outgeneralled.
Well I wasn't allied with France at that time. The reason for France doing that was I broke my alliance with them in order to help England. It's a shame England doesn't appreciate the fact that I nearly got myself killed for him. 🙁

d

Canberra, Australia

Moves
12 Jun 06

Naples was always hostile to Prussia, though, when Sweden allied with Naples after reaching Switzerland, King Joachim insisted that Prussian troops not be allowed to defend that Swedish province. Given this attitude, I cannot say for sure I would have helped Naples against France. On the other hand, Rob has shown himself as an utterly untrustworthy ally ...[text shortened]... s main forces well away from Prussian territory. So, it's hard to say what would have happened.
Hardly hostile. I just don't bloody trust you. Sweden's border guard already outnumbered mine, so it was prudent of me to stipulate NO GERMANS ALLOWED.

I can do that!

tinyurl.com/34hnv22f

Moves
12 Jun 06
1 edit

Originally posted by dyl
Well I wasn't allied with France at that time. The reason for France doing that was because I broke my alliance with them in order to help England. It's a shame England doesn't appreciate the fact that I nearly got myself killed for him. 🙁
Your effort was so half hearted as to be insignificant. All France had to do to counter your lame attempt at support was put a tiny little army in the south. He'd have had to do more if you'd followed through, but you decided you were done helping me and so he was free to continue to beat on me nearly unfettered by any other threat.

It reminds me of the UN threatening Iraq with "serious consequences" and then not doing anything.

d

Canberra, Australia

Moves
12 Jun 06

Your effort was so half hearted as to be insignificant. All France had to do to counter your lame attempt at support was put a tiny little army in the south. He'd have had to do more if you'd followed through, but you decided you were done helping me and so he was free to continue to beat on me nearly unfettered by any other threat.

It reminds me of the UN threatening Iraq with "serious consequences" and then not doing anything.
You're being a little unforgiving. This was the first time I've played this game, remember. How was I to know that opening a second front against a third kingdom with a 278/13 army was a sure-fire recipe for success?

But now I do know, and you can be sure next time I'll be less shy about taking on the big guns.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
12 Jun 06

Originally posted by dyl
Hardly hostile. I just don't bloody trust you. Sweden's border guard already outnumbered mine, so it was prudent of me to stipulate [b]NO GERMANS ALLOWED.[/b]
I think you're full of it. When supposedly did you ally with France? I bet after I had made it clear to Napoleon that I had no intention of going to war with Naples unless France and Spain took steps to move in the Med and not merely leave large forces at my back in the Atlantic. You never even spoke to me diplomatically in the game until it was clear I was going to war with France and Spain. Unfortunately for you, you foolishly picked the wrong side. If you had made the right decision, the game would undoubtedly be over by now and you would have almost certainly been in a winning coalition.

I can do that!

tinyurl.com/34hnv22f

Moves
12 Jun 06

Originally posted by dyl
You're being a little unforgiving. This was the first time I've played this game, remember. How was I to know that opening a second front against a third kingdom with a 278/13 army was a sure-fire recipe for success?

But now I do know, and you can be sure next time I'll be less shy about taking on the big guns.
It's tough to forgive when your allies let you die :'(

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
12 Jun 06

It's tough to forgive when your allies let you die :'(
Nobody is going to throw themselves to the dogs to help an "ally" who is clearly on his way out. It would be folly to do so. You seem to carry around a very unrealistic idea as to what alliances actually convey in this game.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.