What is it to be human?

What is it to be human?

Spirituality

Starmer is a liar

More in my profile

Moves
12 Mar 19

@secondson said
Wonder no longer. It's your pride. You're an arrogant snob of a Christian who thinks he's better. It's no wonder why you don't have a church family or any Christian friends.
As I said, nuances easily go over your head, don’t they.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
12 Mar 19
2 edits

I think one could gather from this, and a couple of other threads, that one of the things to be human is our ability to feel hostility toward one another. I recall C.S. Lewis saying among humans our behavior doesn't reflect how humans should act, because we don't do what we should, only what we want. I suppose that this shows us that our moral compasses do not all point in the same direction. I actually think they appoint in the right direction, we just ignore it when we want something else.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
12 Mar 19

@divegeester said
But I’ve never been abusive to you Josephw.

I call you out for being big-mouth, tough-guy-on-the-Internet right-wing American Christian blowhard who used to be post here as @Jospehw but left and came back with a new intellectually roided-up “spiritual muscle” persona in @SecondSon.

Anyway we both know exactly what you meant when you said:
I'm quite ...[text shortened]... t Christians posting in this forum.

I’m curious to see you so lamely lie about it though.
Like I said. It's no wonder why none of your friends are Christians and you have no church family. You're just too critical and judgmental. Obviously this forum is the only place where you feel comfortable claiming to be a Christian. You have a lot of allies here propping you up in your diatribes against the Christians posting in this forum.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
12 Mar 19

@kellyjay said
I think one could gather from this, and a couple of other threads, that one of the things to be human is our ability to feel hostility toward one another. I recall C.S. Lewis saying among humans our behavior doesn't reflect how humans should act, because we don't do what we should, only what we want. I suppose that this shows us that our moral compasses do not all point in t ...[text shortened]... I actually think they appoint in the right direction, we just ignore it when we want something else.
Well said Kelly.

But don't expect a good word from divegeester. After all, as far as he's concerned, we're all just a bunch of misanthropic American blowhards that want to see billions of innocent people burned alive forever because we worship a torturer god.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
12 Mar 19

@secondson said
Well said Kelly.

But don't expect a good word from divegeester. After all, as far as he's concerned, we're all just a bunch of misanthropic American blowhards that want to see billions of innocent people burned alive forever because we worship a torturer god.
Believing what Jesus said about Hell does not mean I want to see anyone end up there.

F

Moves
12 Mar 19

@kellyjay said
I suppose that this shows us that our moral compasses do not all point in the same direction.
Each person's moral compass is unique and is a key element of who we are and what we are like - as individual human beings with unique characters and identities. The idea that our moral compasses ought to all be the same is as unlikely a notion as all individual humans having the same memories and narratives, all having the same personality, and all having the same hard wiring.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
12 Mar 19

@divegeester said
But generally speaking the Christians here are like you.
Yes, and you've lumped us all together stereotypically as misanthropic worshippers of a torturer god.

It's obviously because of your ego and pride. You're a self-justified man who will one day get a slap on the back from God for all the good things you've done. And of course you'll get to gloat over us in our shame.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
12 Mar 19

@fmf said
Each person's moral compass is unique and is a key element of who we are and what we are like - as individual human beings with unique characters and identities. The idea that our moral compasses ought to all be the same is as unlikely a notion as all individual humans having the same memories and narratives, all having the same personality, and all having the same hard wiring.
I don't think so. You are mistaken.

We can all be uniquely different and still have our moral compasses pointing in the same direction.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
12 Mar 19

@kellyjay said
Believing what Jesus said about Hell does not mean I want to see anyone end up there.
Of course kelly!

But that doesn't stop them from accusing Christians that believe what the Bible says of being misanthropic worshippers of a torturer god.

Shows how little they know and understand about the God of the Bible doesn't it?

F

Moves
12 Mar 19

@secondson said
We can all be uniquely different and still have our moral compasses pointing in the same direction.
There can be moral codes out there - commandments, laws, catechisms, rule books, contracts, values, mores, norms - and they may share "the same direction", depending on the place and time.

But a person's moral compass, by contrast, is a synthesis of their hard wiring, their upbringing, their experiences, events, locations, changes in life, and their personal reaction to or interaction with the commandments, laws, catechisms, rule books, contracts, values, mores, norms I mentioned ~ in short, their unique personal narrative.

It's a product of nature and nurture: each person's nature and nurture.

No two moral compasses are the same.

F

Moves
12 Mar 19

@secondson said
Yes, and you've lumped us all together stereotypically as misanthropic worshippers of a torturer god.
Among the most often-posting Christians here, divegeester and Suzianne are not proponents of the torturer god ideology.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
12 Mar 19

@fmf said
Among the most often-posting Christians here, divegeester and Suzianne are not proponents of the torturer god ideology.
And neither are any other Christian posters.

Here we go again! 😬

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
12 Mar 19

@fmf said
There can be moral codes out there - commandments, laws, catechisms, rule books, contracts, values, mores, norms - and they may share "the same direction", depending on the place and time.

But a person's moral compass, by contrast, is a synthesis of their hard wiring, their upbringing, their experiences, events, locations, changes in life, and their personal reaction to or in ...[text shortened]... uct of nature and nurture: each person's nature and nurture.

I think you're splitting hairs and over complicating Kelly's inference relative to the spirit and intent of his post.

No two moral compasses are the same, but all can point in the right direction.

Unless, of course, one doesn't have morals.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
12 Mar 19

@fmf said

But a person's moral compass, by contrast, is a synthesis of their hard wiring, their upbringing, their experiences, events, locations, changes in life, and their personal reaction to or in ...[text shortened]... uct of nature and nurture: each person's nature and nurture.

You actually changed my mind just not towards your argument. I believe all of our compasses point in the same direction, our refusal to follow them there is on us, and we are so broken in this, many don’t have a clue what truth/morals are, let alone if they are even real or not.

F

Moves
12 Mar 19

@secondson said
No two moral compasses are the same, but all can point in the right direction.
No two moral compasses are the same, that's right.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.